When We Worry

August 15, 2011

“NOW AND THEN I am a real worrywart.

I fret about bladder control and outliving
my money.

I worry about flu shots, the Middle East, and
why the waitstaff gave me apple pie instead
of cherry.

At times I’ve made myself miserable worrying
about things out of my control.

God, why is it so hard for me to cast my burdens
upon you?

Scripture tells me to give you my worries, but I keep
taking them back as if I can’t trust you.

Who am I to doubt the Creator’s ability to deal
with my doubts and fears?

When I am prone to worry, Lord, help me to be
more trusting.

Show me how to release each worry in heavenward
prayer, one by one.

In the big problems of the world and in the small
details of my life, you are there.

You who spun the galaxies into space, now hold
my worrywart heart.”

- Missy Buchanan
Living with Purpose in a Worn-Out Body

From p. 15 of Living with Purpose in a Worn-Out Body by Missy Buchanan. Copyright © 2008 by the author. All Rights Reserved. Used with permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org. Learn more about or purchase this book.

What are the things you worry about? What are your strategies for trusting God more? Share your thoughts.

Today’s Scripture Reading

Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth.
–Psalm 124:8 NRSV

This Week: Pray teachers and students. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Tips for Your Spirit:

In his Spiritual Exercises, Ignatius urged that all be taught the examen, a daily examination of our deepest feelings and desires. Try a daily Examen.

This week we remember Bernard of Clairvaux (August 20).

(Courtesy of Vanderbilt Divinity Library):

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2011, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Carolyn M Simser August 15, 2011 at 12:58 am

I love the daily reflections, but today really hit home. I try not to worry, but I do. The state of our country, social security, health issues, and financial stress.

I try to give it to God Daily, I do give it to God, but somehow I seem to make it back at night.

What can I do?

Darrell August 15, 2011 at 5:34 am

Hey Carolyn:
I am reading the book: The Gurus, The Young Man, and Elder Paisios; by Dionysios Farasiotis.

The foreword by Monk Arsenios:
I am honored to write the foreword to this book, whose author is among the thousands helped by the blessed Elder Paisios the Athonite. But it was not merely “help” that he received—Christ, truly, saved him from the mouth of the wolf through the Elder’s prayers.

We all need the prayers of fellow Christians but we also need to “Unceasingly Pray”. Bless you.

J K Thompson August 15, 2011 at 7:54 am

When I find myself surrounded by chaos, I take a deep breath and search for the order that comes to me from our God — calm, peace, assurance.

Eddie Hughes August 15, 2011 at 8:15 am

This year has been exceptionally painful for my whole family. I almost lost my mother the first of the year. My sister lost her husband unexpectedly Memorial Day which has devastated her to no end. I had to put my fur child, Bruno, down 5 weeks ago which has really sent me over the edge. My whole family is under financial strain due to the economy and yet I feel as if we are truly blessed. BUT I continue to WORRY WORRY WORRY about how I am going to have money to get gas to go to work, for food, for bills, etc. Its not that I don’t trust God, I just don’t know how to put it in His hands. Something that I am working on with my pastor, but is SO HARD.

God bless all that read this post.
Eddie

Michael Ulmen August 15, 2011 at 9:25 am

The things that I worrt about are the ones that I believe that God would have me surrender; the ones that I can’t see Jesus doing in His life in theBible.

Missy Buchanan August 15, 2011 at 10:45 am

I so appreciate Upper Room sharing one of the devotions from my book, Living with Purpose in a Worn-Out Body. Actually, I hear from a lot of older adults who tell me that worry is their greatest struggle. They are not alone. We are all prone to worry and need a reminder of just how big our God really is!

Jill August 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I come from a long line of worry-warts. Praise the Lord for His patience and ability to change ALL things.

I have to ask Him to help me to release things to Him. I have to remind myself (of course, in His presence) that I do ultimately desire His will, and ask Him to increase my faith.

terry August 21, 2011 at 10:06 pm

i, too, wrestle with worry. and like others of you, i find it really hard to turn it over to God. i pray for us to have the hope and the courage of God’s love and the faith that will bring us peace in our bodies, minds and spirits.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 30, 2012 at 6:21 pm

My 87 year old mum checks the tap in our garden several times before she goes to sleep. May God help her not to be overly anxious.