God’s Strength

October 24, 2012

WHEN WE ADMIT our weaknesses …, we discover one of the greatest secrets of the spiritual journey — that in our weakness lies our strength. This is one of the most powerful spiritual truths that we will ever discover. Rather than rejecting us because of our weaknesses, it opens the door for God to come alongside us and help us overcome what had previously defeated us. God’s strength can lead us beyond our weakness and enable us to grow spiritually strong.

- Trevor Hudson
One Day at a Time

From page 10 of One Day at a Time: Discovering the Freedom of 12-Step Spirituality by Trevor Hudson. Copyright © 2007 by Trevor Hudson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Think of a time when you experienced the God’s strength helping to overcome your weakness. Share your thoughts.

I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
Psalm 34:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for countries torn by war. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

You can take a virtual tour of The Upper Room Chapel and Museum online. Visit chapel.upperroom.org.

This week we remember Howard Thurman (October 22).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Jill October 24, 2012 at 3:30 am

I experienced this two weeks ago. I was facing a situation that I dreaded and knew that physically and mentally I did not have it in me to face it, but there was no other option. I just humbled myself at His feet and flat out said – I have nothing to bring, I am nothing – I can’t do this on my own. I can’t even muster the strength to fake it. And – in His mercy – He showed me that I was right where I needed to be…empty before Him and reliant only upon His strength. Why is this such a hard lesson to learn? Thank You Father for being my strength.

Carrol Lindsay October 24, 2012 at 5:58 am

This morning I am blessed to realize the weakness in my legs is His strength and grace in my life.

robert moeller October 24, 2012 at 6:00 am

Lord, the whole world needs you, we are your creation, you care for us as a gardener cares for plants. I some parts of your creation there is turmoil, violence, and war. I name particularly Syria and Afghanistan but also Mexico, Chicago, Lebanon, the Congo, northern Mali, Somalia, and Yemen. These plants in your garden need the care that only can come though Christ. May it come soon that your peace is restored. Help all involved to turn to you and let there be peace. In Jesus name I pray.
Amen.

Connie October 24, 2012 at 7:02 am

Many of my weaknesses are human frailties. I try to forgive myself and strive to improve where I am able to do better. I rely on God’s help in these struggles, knowing that everything I am is a reflection of Him and His holy spirit in me. I have to admit it is a daily battle, but “the battle is the Lord’s”.

heidi October 24, 2012 at 8:18 am

Y’know, it is not defeatist or faith-wobbly to admit that this is a lesson we learn, forget, relearn– lather, rinse, repeat– our entire lives.

I think it is perhaps a way we draw regularly closer to God. Just like the toddler finding her legs for the first time takes of running and giggling– but when gravity rules and she lands with a thump and a bump, she returns to the One who loves her– and who gives her permission to get up and try again. And again and again.

My legs needed starch this week, Lord– and you showed me, yet again, that my strength lies only in you. Thank you. Amen

Susan October 25, 2012 at 1:23 pm

A while back I pulled up the Saints, Inc. page. It had a link to a spiritual gifts survey that looked really good. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to pull up the Saints, Inc. page lately. Is there another way I can access the spiritual gifts survey? Thanks.