Being Truly Present

October 29, 2012

LET ME DESCRIBE what it means to be truly present. Being present involves letting go of our constant preoccupations, immersing ourselves in the here and now, and giving ourselves wholeheartedly to whatever is at hand. … It’s about becoming more aware, alert, awake to the fullness of the immediate moment. If we are with another person, it means engaging with him or her with all of our heart, our mind, our soul, and our strength. Such wholehearted attention requires patience, time, and disciplined effort. And it is one of the greatest gifts that we can give to those around us, especially our suffering neighbor.

- Trevor Hudson
A Mile in My Shoes: Cultivating Compassion

From pp. 30-31 of A Mile in My Shoes: Cultivating Compassion by Trevor Hudson. Copyright © 2005 by the author. All Rights Reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Describe a time when someone has been fully present for you. Share your thoughts.

But Ruth said, “Do not press me to leave you or to turn back from following you! Where you go, I will go; Where you lodge, I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God.
Ruth 1:16, NRSV

This Week: pray for those seeking employment. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Do you long for a deeper experience of faith and a place to nourish your spiritual life? The Academy for Spiritual Formation® is excited to announce that Academy #35 is coming to the Mercy Center in Burlingame, California and we’re looking for qualified recruits to participate in this life-changing opportunity. Academy #35 begins in January 2013. Applications, brochures and additional details are available at http://academy.upperroom.org/

This week we remember Jude (October 28).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

robert moeller October 29, 2012 at 4:30 am

About 13 years ago as a new member of a new church I was mentored for 10 weeks as part of a one on one ministry for new church members.
It was a very powerful experience and brought me closer to God. I am still receiving blessings from that to this day.

Lord, there are many who are out of work since the recession that began three years ago, I am thankful that unemployment seems to be slowly going down, but many have not had a job, a means of income, for months and years. Help them keep faith in you, for you sustain us all, you make it possible to live. In the name of your son Jesus, I pray, Amen.

robert moeller October 29, 2012 at 4:32 am

I pray for all who will experience Hurricane Sandy over the next few days. Remember that it is an act of nature, not an act of God.

Patricia Barton October 29, 2012 at 8:15 am

Heavenly Father, I come to ask that You guide my dear son-in-law today on his search for employment. He is such a faithful servant and needs for You to place him where he can use the talents You have given him. He cannot succeed without You by his side. I know Your will will be done and I pray for a good outcome. I humbly ask this in the name of Christ Jesus and for His sake.

Buzz October 29, 2012 at 11:51 am

“A time when someone has been fully present for me.”

There was a time when I was summarily dismissed from the Methodist Church. Yes, I had done something wrong as seen through the eyes of the Methodist heirarchy – not as seen through the eyes of God, however.

My wife was beside me through my darkest days. She was pastor and priest. She gave me empathy when I needed it. She gave me a swift kick in the … when I needed it even though I hated hearing it. She was long suffering through my “valley of the shadows….” She sought her own spiritual nurturing from another woman who knew her despair and torment. I grew stronger in my relationship with God. We grew stronger in our relationship with God and with each other.

This was a horrible experience. It’s one I praise God for today.

Going On this page April 2, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Engaging the audience and readers with relevant images that will help convey important information is paramount to forming memory.
Over time these effects have been refined and today there are different types:.
Java – Script is relatively simple to learn and implement.

http://www.thesearcherz.com/ April 23, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my website so i came to “return
the favor”.I’m trying to find things to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

panic anxiety attack June 16, 2013 at 5:50 pm

When you feel a panic attack coming on, sit down and close your eyes.
And as you continue your battle against the panic-causing
irrational fears, you should give yourself a pat on the back
for every achievement that you make. Granted it is not easy to
grasp this concept when bombarded by the symptoms.
A lot of individuals suffering from attacks of anxiety would be surprised to know that
this condition is a relative common disorder which is generally experienced more in women than in men.

Penney September 7, 2014 at 7:02 am

Hey! I know tis is kind of off topic but I was wondering if yoou knew where
I could locate a captcha plugin foor my comment form? I’m using the same blkg platform
as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one? Thanks a