A Growing Faith

November 12, 2012

FOR FAITH TO GROW, we must be open and listening to God through scripture, prayer, worship, music nature, people, and the circumstances of our lives. Then we must be obedient to God’s will and direction for us as we discern them. True Christian faith leads us to involvement with others and sensitivity to their needs.

Active faith in our relationship with God and God’s covenant relationship with the world requires that we rest in the trust of God’s provision and live more fully in the present moment. If we trust God’s provision, we will be more generous with what we have. We will not feel the need to hoard. Rather we can pass on our blessings.

- Ann Hagmann
Climbing the Sycamore Tree

From page 74 of Climbing the Sycamore Tree: A Study on Choice and Simplicity by Ann Hagmann. Copyright © 2001 by Ann Hagmann. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Where do you sense God is calling you to give of yourself? Share your thoughts.

Hannah made this vow: “O LORD of hosts, if only you will look on the misery of your servant, and remember me, and not forget your servant, but will give to your servant a male child, then I will set him before you as a nazirite until the day of his death. He shall drink neither wine nor intoxicants, and no razor shall touch his head.”
1 Samuel: 1:11 NRSV

This Week: pray for those who are lonely. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Against a backdrop of refueling fighter jets and transport planes, Chaplain’s Assistant Msgt Marilyn Diller found a way to provide a message of hope to thousands of troops at the U.S. Transit Center at Manas Airport in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. READ MORE!

This week we remember Gertrude the Great of Helfta (November 16).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

robert moeller November 12, 2012 at 2:55 am

My new church is calling, I hope I can be more active, its hard juggling care for Mom, concern for Erich’s education, and Anneliese’s health problems, but with God all things are possible.

Glad that my son has at least some friends where he lives, hope he can move closer to the ones he is closer to this spring.

Buzz November 12, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Robert,
I know it’s picky. But it’s also important. In your second-to-last line above you use the word “hope”. Please replace it with the word “pray”. As you know, prayer changes things. “Hope” doesn’t have that power.

Jill November 12, 2012 at 3:40 am

In two areas, I believe. The first – to re-open part of my heart to relationship. To trust Him and His sovereignty. Second – to be freer with my time – whether a moment at work to listen to a colleague, or bigger chunks to a cause He directs me towards.

Buzz November 12, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Blessed are you, Jill.
Our God is an awesome God giving to us through our giving to others.

Sharona November 12, 2012 at 9:33 am

I need to trust Him more in terms of the road I’m on. So many things in my life are changing and difficult. I am one of the lonely, inside a marriage that died a while back. It’s hard to know what to do next after trying and trying haven’t worked.

Dear Lord, please be with those who seek earthly friendship–may they find it by serving You. Comfort them when all seems hopeless and strange and feels like the dark pit of Sheol. Remind them that joy always comes with the morning. Amen.

Buzz November 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Sharona,
You do know what you need to do for yourself. Please act on the correct answer knowing God’s love for you before you fall prey to your being vulnerable to predators. Go to God only seeking to know God’s will for you.
(Been there. Made the mistake of finding love in the arms of another while still married. Wish I hadn’t. I finally heard God. Now things are good and very good.)
God loves you Sharona and so do we here.

Sourav December 20, 2012 at 8:35 am

In response to your coenmmt, this post is most definitely a statement of religious belief. Everything in this post is backed by the Bible and what the author sees as God’s design for men and women’s roles, mainly in the home. (There is a difference between the relationship between a husband and wife, a woman’s role in the church, and men and women in general.) If you don’t believe in God or want to submit to Him, however you see it, then you aren’t going to like or even necessarily understand what you hear about this. For Mark and Reed, this isn’t about them wanting authority or power over women to serve their own purposes. This is about God’s command to the husband to lead his wife toward godliness. If you read the whole article, it talks about men being the spiritiual encouragers, the cultivators, and having qualities of humility, responsibility, and accountability as the more important qualities rather than focusing on authority (Ephesians 5:22-23). God designates the roles not because of any lack of capability on the woman’s part or because she is inferior or less intelligent but for the sake of order. This doesn’t apply to all men either. I would never put myself in submission to any man that isn’t my husband or father (obviously excluding government and church authority). God (and this article) make it clear the men and women are equal. You say you aren’t trying to provoke an argument about the Bible, yet this post is only about the Bible and religious beliefs. It’s not Mark or Reed or any other Christian man telling you that you have to submit, it’s God telling you that you have to submit. That’s pretty much the bottom line for not just gender roles but for everything a Christian does. As a Christian, you can’t have a question without adding the Bible or God’s command into the equation.

Buzz November 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm

God is calling me to give through being a Prayer Warrior; and, through being a Spiritual Therapist.

parking lot repair January 4, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with
SEO? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not
seeing very good success. If you know of any please
share. Cheers!