Living Sacrifice

November 13, 2012

EACH ENCOUNTER we have is part of our daily offering to God. Each day, every deed, all the intentional motion of our souls – however helpful or hurtful it may be – is the actual “living sacrifice” we give to God as material with which to weave the human story (see Rom. 12:1). At this daily altar our selves are offered to or withheld from the Spirit’s transforming power.

- Robert Corin Morris
Wrestling with Grace

From page 21 of Wrestling with Grace: A Spirituality for the Rough Edges of Daily Life by Robert Corin Morris. Copyright © 2003 by Robert Corin Morris. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Name one way you offer yourself to God. Name one way you withhold yourself from God. Share your thoughts.

In due time Hannah conceived and bore a son. She named him Samuel, for she said, “I have asked him of the LORD.”
1 Samuel: 1:20 NRSV

This Week: pray for those who are lonely. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Against a backdrop of refueling fighter jets and transport planes, Chaplain’s Assistant Msgt Marilyn Diller found a way to provide a message of hope to thousands of troops at the U.S. Transit Center at Manas Airport in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. READ MORE!

This week we remember Gertrude the Great of Helfta (November 16).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Jay November 13, 2012 at 4:07 am

If I’m honest I have to say that I withhold myself many more ways than I offer myself but with God’s help, I’m getting better.

Jill November 13, 2012 at 4:22 am

I offer myself to God by being part of a volunteer group at my church in various outlets. Having a schedule that I know will remain consistent really fits my make-up. Because of this – I think – I also withhold myself – I don’t make myself available to spontaneous opportunities. Or truer still – I don’t look for those opportunities.

Betsy November 13, 2012 at 6:07 am

I, too, offer myself through various mission opportunities our church offers-Community Kitchen, Juvenile Ministry, etc. However, it is in my most close, intimate relationships that I sometimes withhold myself from God-not reaching out to hurting friends, not being honest in my relationships with family. I will work on this, with God’s help!

robert moeller November 13, 2012 at 6:14 am

I help others both family and friends, church, and a sponsored child in Peru. I hold back buying models to build for my model railroad. If we did what Jesus asked we’d give all our possessions to the poor and follow him.

I pray for those who are lonely knowing that without some people in my life I would be lonely too. Thankfully I know that there is only one who truly knows me, from whom no secrets are hid. God makes all the difference, with God we are never lonely. God accepts me and loves me as I am, his creation. May those who feel lonely know God.

Alice November 13, 2012 at 6:15 am

The way I offer myself to God is by spending quiet time reading the Word and reflecting on it. When I am not giving back to God it is because I fail to forgive someone of past hurts. I hang on to this and it really takes it’s toll on me. I have learned that everyday I must learn to forgive just as Christ has forgiven me. This is not always easy but a nessary part of faith. In Jesus name I pray. Amen

heidi November 13, 2012 at 7:42 am

Alice, your candor and humility are gift. Thanks for this.

heidi November 13, 2012 at 7:46 am

I offer myself to the Lord when I offer myself to my neighbor. For me, this most often comes in quiet conversation, in prayer and in companionship. These are the ways in which God has gifted me for service.

I withhold of myself in more ways than I can name, I am certain, because I am often convincing myself that really, God didn’t want me in that situation, anyway. So my daily/ ongoing battle is to be more honest, first with self, so it follows with the Almighty, as well.

I am a major work in progress. Some days, the progress move swiftly. Other days. . . ?

Buzz November 13, 2012 at 7:51 am

I give to God the gift God has given to me – intercessory prayer. I withhold from God in the amount of time I spend in personal conversation with God.