Blessed Are the Poor in Spirit

CAN WE SURRENDER the mantle of trying to be, as someone has described us in our drivenness, “General Manager of the Universe?” Many of us are so accustomed to trying to be good – doing what is right, covering everything on our to-do list – that we live our lives, even our spiritual lives, at a frantic pace. We cram every minute of every day with activity and achievement, measuring our worth by what we earn or what good deeds we have done. But this beatitude [“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:3)] says that approach is all wrong. When we offer to God what we cannot be or do – our weaknesses – then the kingdom is ours. God says in this beatitude, “When you give up your illusions of control and power and acknowledge your absolute need for me, all that I have opens to you.”

– Mary Lou Redding
The Power of a Focused Heart

From page 22 of The Power of a Focused Heart: 8 Life Lessons from the Beatitudes by Mary Lou Redding. Copyright © 2006 by Mary Lou Redding. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How do you interpret the beatitude mentioned above?. Share your thoughts.

The LORD! His adversaries shall be shattered; the Most High will thunder in heaven. The LORD will judge the ends of the earth; he will give strength to his king, and exalt the power of his anointed.”
1 Samuel: 2:10 NRSV

This Week: pray for those who are lonely. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Against a backdrop of refueling fighter jets and transport planes, Chaplain’s Assistant Msgt Marilyn Diller found a way to provide a message of hope to thousands of troops at the U.S. Transit Center at Manas Airport in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. READ MORE!

This week we remember Gertrude the Great of Helfta (November 16).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

• Jill November 14, 2012, 3:36 am

I agree with the author – and this is something that I wrestle with. I am beginning to realize more and sooner – that when I become frustrated with someone or a situation – it is because I am looking at it selfishly – and trying to force my way. But, rather – I need to step back, allow the person or situation to be what it is – and to act lovingly – to allow His will to continue – and I am the conduit of permitting that to happen. Not my will in the situation.

• robert moeller November 14, 2012, 5:11 am

God knows what I wrote, I switched to another screen and when I came back it was all gone!

• heidi November 14, 2012, 7:43 am

Ah, Robert! If only I were God, so I, too, might know what you wrote.

• robert moeller November 15, 2012, 2:23 am

It wasn’t just here that my computer skills failed. An email to a friend had the same result. Not a fun way to start the day. Hope that doesn’t happen again. Certainly know I can’t change screens and hope my message is still there.

• sabine woodward November 14, 2012, 7:27 am

I agree with the writer, I have found from my own personal practice that letting the situation lead itself through the guidance of God is much more peaceful and rewarding to me. It also allows me to see clearly the path that has been chosen by my divinity which also leaves me feeling peaceful and joyous.

• heidi November 14, 2012, 9:08 am

Poor in spirit.

When the grind and tedium and arbitrary indifference of the world have weighed my heart down with its cares, when I feel as if I can handle no more– this is when I am most desirous and most receptive of the Kingdom of God in my heart and in my life.

When I have cried out from the depths of darkness, when it seems as though the entire deck is stacked– against *me*– it is then that the true reign of God begins, as I manage to let it all go.

• Buzz November 15, 2012, 7:34 am

Bless you, Heidi.

• Marcos December 22, 2012, 6:01 am

Johan Liljegren November 13, 2007 Jeff,Great to get some new blog tips! However, the link to Matt Evans’ The Admin Exchange is most likely inrrocect, as it is the same as the one to Salesforce Times.My Google karma doesn’t give me any tips on where to find it either. Do you have an updated link to it?Regards//Johan

• Michael Ulmen November 14, 2012, 12:20 pm

I may be poor in the eyes of the world, but I have friends in High Places, Who take very good care of me; not because I deserve V.I.P’. Treatment; but just because I had the sence to accept it many years ago!

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 30, 2012, 6:37 am

Father God, today I offer to you what I cannot be or do. Today, I surrender all that I want control of and power over.. I acknowledge my absolute need for You. Father God may you take over and have full control of every area of my life.

• tv advertising June 6, 2014, 5:48 am

I relish, result in I found exzactly what I used to be taking a look for.
    You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great
    day. Bye

• Murray June 26, 2014, 2:57 pm

Hi, I think your site may be having web browser compatibility problems.
    When I take a look at your website in Safari, it looks fijne buut when oening in Internet Explorer,
    it’s got some overlapping issues.I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Besides that, fantastic website!

• ge.tt August 30, 2014, 7:20 am

Hi! I could have sworn I’ve been to your blog before but after browsing through many of the articles
    I reallized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m certainly delighted
    I stumbled upon it and I’ll bbe book-marking it and checking back often!