Living in the Moment

November 16, 2012

WHY SHOULD WE LIVE in the moment? For one thing, this moment is all we really have. The past is gone; we can never recapture it or change it. And all our moments to come will hold their own challenges and surprises, no matter how much we plan or dream. The only moment that we have to live is now. And the only way to have any impact on how we experience tomorrow is to live our moments well today.

- Kim Barker, Linda de Meillon, and Leigh Harrison
Birthed in Prayer

From page 177 of Birthed in Prayer: Pregnancy as a Spiritual Journey by Kim Barker, Linda de Meillon, and Leigh Harrison. Copyright © 2008 by Kim Barker, Linda de Meillon, and Leigh Harrison. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Do you think of your time in terms of living in the moment. How does the phrase affect your spiritual life? Share your thoughts.

And let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good deeds, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:24-25 NRSV

This Week: pray for those who are lonely. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Against a backdrop of refueling fighter jets and transport planes, Chaplain’s Assistant Msgt Marilyn Diller found a way to provide a message of hope to thousands of troops at the U.S. Transit Center at Manas Airport in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. READ MORE!

This week we remember Gertrude the Great of Helfta (November 16).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

robert moeller November 16, 2012 at 3:43 am

Yes, I pray for those who are lonely, that they will meet Christ, the eternal companion, for if God comes first, everything else will fall into place. I pray especially for Erich, Jenny, Daryl, and Heidi and their families. Some grew up in church and have stopped going, others have little or no experience in church. May the Lord be with them. Amen.

Jill November 16, 2012 at 3:49 am

I have tried to be more aware of living in the moment. I think that for a long time I lived in the past. I was always going back to moments and then trying to re-live them, or get back to “that”. However, I have come to realize that to best experience God, it must be in the now.

heidi November 16, 2012 at 5:28 am

When one has watched all time but now be snatched from a loved one, one becomes originally painfully, but then delightfully aware that the only moment we are given is– now.

We could choose to live in the past, but the past is over and done. Resurrecting it does not bring it back to life.

The future is nice to dream about on a warm summer afternoon, sitting under an old oak, perhaps. But apart from God’s grace, even our next breath is not guaranteed.

Living in the ‘now’ has taught me to love me for me, for who God created his beloved heidi to be– in God’s eyes, not the world’s.

Living in the now has taught me the value of a kind word, a gentle hug– or simply being.

Living in the now has lowered my blood pressure, I an certain, and raised my joy and my awareness.

Lori November 16, 2012 at 8:04 am

Wow! Thank you Heidi. That’s beautiful and meaningful.

Buzz November 16, 2012 at 10:55 am

Nicely said, Heidi, nicely said :)

robert moeller November 17, 2012 at 3:40 am

Yes, this is very good, thank you! Often its hard to put ideas, feelings into words, but you did it here.

Lori November 16, 2012 at 8:11 am

I struggle to live in the moment. I live too much in a pained past. And that does affect my spiritual life … At times for the good drawing me deeper into prayer and contemplation; at other times, though, feeling empty and depleted. So I realize the need to get out of the past which is over and one with, and to learn to live more in the moment.

Carol November 16, 2012 at 9:42 am

I used to live in the past and the future because my present was unbearable. But praise the Lord who did a mighty work in my mind so that I’m able, if I want, to live in the now. Just as God says about himself “I am”. After this incredible deliverance, I can honestly say, worrying or trying to work things out, is truly a waste of a good mind.

Buzz November 16, 2012 at 11:11 am

This reminds me of “The Serenity Prayer”. Only it usually ends too soon as commonly used today.
“God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
Courage to change the things I can
And, the wisdom to know the difference.”

The next 2 lines read:
“…living one day at a time.
Enjoying each moment at a time.”

I had a very hard time learning this lesson. But, it was worth it. I still struggle to live in the moment.

Michael Ulmen November 16, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I cannot fully agree that the prersent is all that we have. The excperiences of the past are available to us in the present. We can prepare now for the works of the future by comparting the experiences of the past, and changing the plan for the future, to obtain the results in the future that we will want then. However it is true that we cannot change the results we got before!

Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 30, 2012 at 6:19 am

Help us God to live in the moment, let go of the past and not be anxious of tomorrow.