True Wisdom

November 17, 2012

THE SERENITY PRAYER reminds us that true wisdom is a gift that comes from God. Such wisdom is something we need to pray for. Certainly the scriptures tell us to do this. [See James 1:5.] “Dear God,” we can simply pray, “I need your wisdom. Please speak to me, through my friends, through the Bible and whatever else I may read, through my experiences today, and through the circumstances I encounter.” …

The guidance we need usually comes gradually. My experience is that we receive just enough to know what to do next. Like a flashlight that illuminates the next few steps along a dark pathway, God gives us just enough light to keep us walking. As we step into the light that we have been given, another bit of illumination comes along, guiding us further. And so we proceed step by step, sometimes accepting what cannot be changed; at other times seeking to change what we can, all the time trusting that God lovingly walks with us.

- Trevor Hudson
The Serenity Prayer

From pages 48-49 of The Serenity Prayer: A Simple Prayer to Enrich Your Life by Trevor Hudson. Copyright © 2012 by Trevor Hudson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Give thanks for the wisdom God has given you through what you have experienced. Share your thoughts.

As he came out of the temple, one of his disciples said to him, “Look, Teacher, what large stones and what large buildings!” Then Jesus asked him, “Do you see these great buildings? Not one stone will be left here upon another; all will be thrown down.”
Mark 13:1-2 NRSV

This Week: pray for those who are lonely. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Against a backdrop of refueling fighter jets and transport planes, Chaplain’s Assistant Msgt Marilyn Diller found a way to provide a message of hope to thousands of troops at the U.S. Transit Center at Manas Airport in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. READ MORE!

This week we remember Gertrude the Great of Helfta (November 16).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

robert moeller November 17, 2012 at 3:36 am

Yes, God gives wisdom to those who ask for it. I need it a lot. I like the author’s description, its not a one time request and you get all you need, its all you need for each situation and you need to ask for it again and again in each new situation, but its always there, just as God is always there.

Empower us Lord with your love that those who are lonely will know you through us. Make us instruments of your peace. In Jesus name, Amen.

Jill November 17, 2012 at 5:54 am

Father – as I look back at the story you have woven in my life – I am amazed. I see the handiwork of your transformation. I have been acutely aware of it in the past week – and each time I am humbled into gratitude. Help me to continue to present myself at Your potter’s wheel.

heidi November 17, 2012 at 6:12 am

Wisdom is a process, a way of seeing and approaching situations. King Solomon’s wisdom allowed him to see things in different ways. Lord, you have cleaned my glasses ;) so I can see more clearly the next step. So along with wisdom, I pray for courage to take that step. I pray for trust, ever-deepening. And I pray for love, as you love, for without love, I am less than nothing. Amen

Betsy November 17, 2012 at 7:51 am

I like the analogy of the flashlight piercing the darkness. He gives us just enough guidance to get to that next step. All we need is the faith to trust in that step!

Father God, help me to allow you to guide my steps through life’s challenges. Amen

heidi November 17, 2012 at 8:25 am

Lately I have been thinking of a Sister, Connie who used to post here. Connie– if you are around and reading– wave your hand over this way? You are on my heart and in my prayers. Peace.

Connie November 18, 2012 at 7:05 am

Yes, my dear Heidi, I am here every day. Thanks for thinking of me. I didn’t realize I hadn’t commented for awhile, but I am definitely “soaking it all in”! Have a blessed Sunday.

Buzz November 17, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Loving God,
Thank You for granting me the humbleness and wisdom to walk Your path for me. Please, keep me from straying off it. Amen.

The Serenity Prayer is such a simple prayer yet so powerful. It has set me right many many times in my life.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 30, 2012 at 6:15 am

Father God, thank you for leading and guiding us every step of our life journey. Grant us wisdom and strength to walk in your ways.