God Knows Us

November 18, 2012

GOD KNOWS US and calls us by name. We are not strangers or aliens to God. We are each and all God’s beloved. We have as our lover the Creator and Master of all that exists. The One who calls us beloved is also the one who know us so intimately and well that even the number of hairs on our head is known.

- Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job
A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God

From pages 95-96 of A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God by Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job. Copyright © 2003 by Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

God knows us. Share your thoughts.

When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed; this must take place, but the end is still to come.
Mark 13:1-7 NRSV

This Week: pray for those who are lonely. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Against a backdrop of refueling fighter jets and transport planes, Chaplain’s Assistant Msgt Marilyn Diller found a way to provide a message of hope to thousands of troops at the U.S. Transit Center at Manas Airport in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. READ MORE!

This week we remember Gertrude the Great of Helfta (November 16).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Jill November 18, 2012 at 4:41 am

While reading from Psalm 19 this morning, I was reminded of His knowing me. The words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart. Those meditations…those thoughts that are just there in the background – they can run rampant without proper care. I believe that those thoughts have taken a more positive spin lately…but there is still work to do. Praise God that He continues to work.

robert moeller November 18, 2012 at 5:08 am

That we have such an intimate friend in God is a great blessing, sure helps a lot with feelings of loneliness. Its very reassuring to know that our creator wants an intimate relationship with us just as we are. If those who are lonely turn to God they will have peace.

Connie November 18, 2012 at 7:18 am

I do believe that God knows us and calls us by name. That my name is written on the palm of His hand and the hairs on my head are numbered. I am beloved of God and He loves “even me”. What a blessed assurance for each of His children. May we in return love Him with every fiber of our being!

heidi November 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Good to see you back, Connie! You have been on my mind.

Janet November 18, 2012 at 9:16 am

“God knows me” that thought somewhat scares me. It’s hard for me to belive the t I’m His beloved, that I’m special & dearly loved. What comes to mind are all the things I’ve done as well as those things I still struggle with which makes it hard to believe that I’m special.
I see the evidence of God working AMAZING things in the lives of some of those around me yet when I see His you in my life, it is just that-a touch. I feel as if God either only gives difficulties or what appears to be second hand stuff.
Thank you for listening.

heidi November 18, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Janet, this is a part of our affirmation of faith from my church this morning.I invite you to read it over and over and trust in the goodness and greatness of the Almighty God.

“God does not create junk. God does not make trash. We are all– ALL– God’s creation. We are Grade A, First Class stuff. We are Priority Mail. We are sent into this life Postage Paid and with a Guaranteed Return Address. We have all had Special Handling. We are not fragile. We are eternal. We have a Name. We have a Place. We have a Purpose. We have an eternal Creator, Redeemer, Lord and friend. This is the soul’s unalterable reason for Thanksgiving.”

Happy Thanksgiving, friend. You are God’s most blessed and beloved creation– just because.

robert moeller November 19, 2012 at 3:07 am

Amen! This is so true. Thank you Heidi for sharing this.

Dada December 22, 2012 at 7:36 am

Joe points out that “… many earsetn faiths that date back to ancient times even prior to that of Christianity and Islam do put emphasis upon an “image” or physical depiction of God. Well, I’m sure that you’re probably aware that from an Islamic point of view, such images whether depicted physically or mentally are an absolute No No.” Wonderful Joe, wonderful! But why stop just there? Aren’t we all, still now, heavily involved in the act of “imaging” via our notions of happiness, life of perfection, the ideals for a society, the pursuit of democracy, the act of charity, the act of violence, etc.? We might have moved away from earlier depictions of God, but all we have done is to replace them with our current images of “God”. We still require the selected authorities implied in Torah, the Bible, the Quran, the Vedas, the various doctrines to define for us this object called “God”. Aren’t these all acts of “imaging” to capture what is incomprehensible? God, after so many millennia, is still depicted in images that we cherish. We are no different than our forefathers, isn’t that so? We may be more abstract, less crude, but make no mistake – we are as keen to paint our God of choice as were our predecessors. Joe asserts: “With all due respect, perhaps even some of your own views expressed in your article may stem from some sort of cultural conditioning in your own life one way or another. Perhaps some cultural conditioning is what makes us who we are and that’s not always a bad thing is it?” I think the issue is not whether something is good or bad, but whether one could see “reality” (truth, the actuality of something as is) through “conditioning”! I see I’m conditioned. I see my entirety without any “good-bad” judgment. I see how conditional thinking limits me, how they preoccupy me in trivial chores allowing me to waste energy totally unnecessarily. Seeing all these in totality, would I not be able to understand the “reality” of myself as I’m? Seeing that I’m no different from the society, indeed, seeing that I’m my society, would I realize the global, universal truth that we all are without isolating ourselves? If I seriously want to understand this world, this universe, what lies beyond, what lies within, the God, the lack of God – could I possibly touch all these without ever understanding “this Me, AS IS”, the tentacles of relationship that this “Me” has developed over all this time? This is the point, I think, Mr. Singh is making through this particular exposition. If we see the issues raised here by Mr. Singh are false (or misrepresented) or are projected through a layer of a conditioned mind – in spite of the fact their obvious appeal factors — let us go directly to those points rationally, and point out why they fail to touch the truth. That’s the least we could do to ourselves. But what would be pointless is to suggest that these observations of Mr. Singh stem from a conditioned mind, and, therefore, they are personal, and hence, have no appeal to the impersonal, the universality. It would be patently unfair to both Mr. Singh and to the readers of this entity. The question is: Does his observation describe me, describe my relationships? Are these valid for me, too?

Buzz November 19, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Janet,
We learn in 12 Step Recovery Programs that: “GOD DON’T MAKE NO JUNK.” You are a “blessed child of God.” The Scot’s Confession of Faith asks the question: “What is the chief end of [man]?” The answer is “To love God and to enjoy Him forever.”
Blessed are you, Janet, blessed are you.

Michael Ulmen November 19, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I Love GOD and Jesus Christ because HE first loved me!

Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 30, 2012 at 6:11 am

Father God, I want to know you more.