Our Need for God

November 20, 2012

DEPENDENCE ON GOD forms the foundation of true humility, and our experience of dependence – so easily forgotten – returns to us in our weaker moments. When I try to pray and my mind wanders, even this tiny setback can remind me of my humanity, my vulnerability, and my need for God.

- Sarah Parsons
A Clearing Season: Reflections for Lent

From page 74 of A Clearing Season: Reflections for Lent by Sarah Parsons. Copyright © 2005 by Sarah Parsons. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What reminds you of your need for God? Share your thoughts.

“I will not enter my house or get into my bed; I will not give sleep to my eyes or slumber to my eyelids, until I find a place for the LORD, a dwelling place for the Mighty One of Jacob.”
Psalm 132:3-5 NRSV

This Week: pray for victims of natural disasters. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Do you long for a deeper experience of faith and a place to nourish your spiritual life? The Academy for Spiritual Formation is excited to announce that Academy #35 is coming to the Mercy Center in Burlingame, California and we’re looking for qualified recruits to participate in this life-changing opportunity. Academy #35 begins in January 2013. Applications, brochures and additional details are available at http://Academy.UpperRoom.org.

This week we remember C.S. Lewis (November 12).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Jill November 20, 2012 at 3:41 am

When I try to handle a situation on my own, in my own strength and “wisdom” – when this becomes futile – I realize how I need to be dependent on God in ALL things. It is in my continued smallness that His greatness will lift me.

robert moeller November 20, 2012 at 7:07 am

Everyday life is now a reminder of how important God is. Food, shelter, transportation, clothing, the needs of others, worries all keep me focused on how thankful I am and how I hope for things to work out.
God’s wisdom is a definite help.

Like Irene last year, Sandy has left one area crushed and a very near area almost unscathed. The extent of the damage is far wider and more severe. People are still struggling from both storms. Its not hard to see houses that were swept off their foundations over a year ago as well as the new damage. Lord, sustain those who have to deal with this and encourage all of us to help in any way we can. Thank you for seeing us through every natural disaster. in Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Jerie November 20, 2012 at 9:09 am

You are not forgotten. All of you who were in Sandy’s path remain in our prayers.

Lori November 20, 2012 at 7:10 am

Simply the inability to cope with the stuff of life. Or to face the stuff of life. Sometimes it can become overwhelming and I realize how weak I am and how mighty God is. And then I wonder why I don’t surrender my all to God ALL the time!!!!

Buzz November 20, 2012 at 7:46 am

Just being able to take my next breath reminds me of my dependence on God for everything.

heidi November 20, 2012 at 10:01 am

Forgive me, friends, for going totally off topic.

Michael Ulmen, thank you for the gift of your story. It is humbling that you consider this a safe space for such disclosure. (It is also a very public place.)

Know, Michael, that you are in our prayers, and that with Buzz, I pray that you will give yourself permission to lay down the heavy burden and walk away.

Do not confuse the church with God. Sometimes they can be used interchangeably, sometimes not.

There are good, good people in this world, and I am so very sorry that you encountered one of the not-good ones.

Praying you to peace in your soul this Thanksgiving week. (That prayer is for each and all of you. May the Almighty bless you and keep you and bring you peace within and with others. Amen)

Buzz November 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Michael Ulmen,

I agree with Heidi completely.
Also, please see my reply to your Monday post.
May God bless you mightily.
So I’m Jus Sayin

karen November 20, 2012 at 3:44 pm

The awareness of the daily sins and the consistent falling short that I commit/omit each day in word, deed and spirit.

I am hoping this Advent season, I will sin less, forgive more and act in the spirit of Christ.

Blessings to all..

Michael Ulmen November 21, 2012 at 3:14 pm

What reminds me the most about my need for GOD is trying to use computers. These things have a brain, and I have a brain too, but they don’t seem to be compatible with each other. My brain is adaptable, but the computer’s brain is incapable of changing, so my adaptable brain will have to change to enable me to do the things that I need it to do!

Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 30, 2012 at 5:50 am

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
New Living Translation (©2007)

Father God, I want to acknowledge that without you, I can do nothing. Help me to abide in you and bear much fruit.