Blessings to Share

November 24, 2012

ABUNDANT AND LIVING GOD,
We open our hands to receive your blessings as we share your blessings with others. We open our hands to receive from those to whom we give. Bless our gifts and inspire us to holy receptivity as we live each day by your abundant grace. Amen.

- Bruce G. Epperly

Holy Adventure: 41 Days of Audacious Living

From p. 101 of Holy Adventure: 41 Days of Audacious Living. Copyright © 2008 by Bruce G. Epperly. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How might you go about sharing a blessing with someone today? Share your thoughts.

Then Pilate entered the headquarters again, summoned Jesus, and asked him, “Are you the King of the Jews?”
John 18:33 NRSV

This Week: pray for victims of natural disasters. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Do you long for a deeper experience of faith and a place to nourish your spiritual life? The Academy for Spiritual Formation is excited to announce that Academy #35 is coming to the Mercy Center in Burlingame, California and we’re looking for qualified recruits to participate in this life-changing opportunity. Academy #35 begins in January 2013. Applications, brochures and additional details are available at http://Academy.UpperRoom.org.

This week we remember C.S. Lewis (November 12).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

Pray today’s prayer of thanksgiving. Share your thoughts.

“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.
Revelation 1:8 NRSV

This week we remember C.S. Lewis (November 12).

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

robert moeller November 24, 2012 at 4:29 am

Emailed and called my son, Erich, will take care of Mom today, and celebrate a birthday with Anneliese.

May those still without electricity, homes, regular hot meals and showers know that you Lord are with them. You sustain, keep, hold, encourage, and love. Through you we have life. Thank you, Lord.

Buzz November 24, 2012 at 11:07 am

Blessings come in many different and wonderfully wrapped presents, don’t they Robert.

Jill November 24, 2012 at 5:55 am

A completely unexpected thing happened last night…I got an e-mail from an acquaintance – a mass e-mail I believe. She and her family were vacationing in a foreign country – got mugged and robbed of everything except their passports. They have no money, credit cards, cell phones…nothing. She was asking for anyone who could send them money via western union. Now – this person is an acquaintance at best – yet I do believe that she is an honest person. (I was warned on the western union web-site about scams…) Last night I e-mailed her and told her I would help – to send me the info. This morning there was an e-mail with western union info. So – I just completed the transaction – and forwarded her the confirmation. I am trusting God that I have not been scammed – and know that he will honor the intentions of my heart. Meanwhile – I would ask for all of your prayers for this situation. What a scary situation to find one’s self in – I believe she has six children – although I am not sure that they are all with her. But from the sounds of the e-mail – it was a family vacation.

heidi November 24, 2012 at 6:00 am

Oh, Jill, God bless your heart. I pray you have not been scammed but fear that you have. On the other hand, you have blessed someone materially who was in need. May you be blessed, as we.

Jay November 24, 2012 at 8:22 am

Jill, this is almost certainly a scam. I would try to cancel any money order immediately, ignore any further communcations like this and delete the email from your computer.

roberta November 24, 2012 at 10:55 am

God will bless you. Jesus said Give to those who ask. So I answer for how I give and they answer for how they obtained and used it.
As for blessing others. I was surprised to be heartily thanked for a smile by a homeless man.

Buzz November 24, 2012 at 11:31 am

Jay,
I disagree with you even as I realize that you may be correct in identify this scenario as a scam. This is a “What Would Jesus Do” type site in my mind. “Be in this world but not of this world” comes to mind. So I’m Jus Sayin.

Buzz November 24, 2012 at 11:22 am

Jill,
In my experience from having lived in Europe for over 5 years, your acquaintence was very lucky to have not had her passport stolen, too. But then, visitors usually leave their passports with hotel management. Hotel management tries to keep people from walking their bills that way. There is Bank of America in Europe as well as Western Union.
Whether this was a scam or not, you responded from your spirit. In the long run that’s what really matters to God.
I, too, am praying for you.

heidi November 24, 2012 at 3:08 pm

And Jill– understand that the acquaintance did not send this (if it was a scam). She would have had NO IDEA her email was hacked. So please, no matter what, do not question her integrity because of this.

But the thing is, once someone has hacked in, the hacker can send you real-looking links that are NOT, e.g., Western Union.

So for yourself– keep an eye on your information. And do keep us posted.

heidi November 24, 2012 at 6:02 am

I make it a semiregular habit of covering the order if the person in line behind me if I go to lunch someplace. Perhaps today. . . .

Buzz November 24, 2012 at 11:26 am

Heidi,
And in return you are mightily blessed.

Buzz November 24, 2012 at 11:37 am

I’m very much a situationist theologian. That said, I have no idea how I might bless someone or be blessed by someone until I’m in that moment. My most common blessings usually involve a smile, a word, a brief conversation with a stranger.

Jill November 24, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Well, the big S you see on my shirt is not for superwoman, but rather super-sucker-scammee. Most of the day was spent very near my computer and some things were just not adding up. Luckily, in the nick of time – with about 10 minutes to spare – I got the transaction with Western Union cancelled. Wonderful, helpful people there. Was finally able to contact my “acquaintance” and sure enough – her address book got wiped out by the bad people – and she was unable to contact all her contacts to let them know that something really bad was up. So – I believe all that I lost was some naiveté…I don’t like to be a suspicious skeptical person, but God gave me a brain, as well as resources to help others. I need to utilize both. Lesson learned. Thanks for all of your comments – you wise people, and your prayers. The bottom line is that my acquaintance and her family are safe – that is the most important part.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 29, 2012 at 8:51 am

Went garden by the bay today. Bought cookies and drinks to share with my cousin and her friend.

I am very happy to be a blessing to them and make my life count for Christ.