Christ Our King

November 25, 2012

CHRIST OUR KING counsels a lifestyle of simplicity and trust. Look around you at the simple beauty and plenitude that God has so generously given; let go of the cultural inducements to “need” this, “need” that, endlessly buying in the temples of the economy. Live simply, trusting God to supply all our needs – in the “supplying,” God redefines our needs. As we learn to trust God’s generosity in this kingdom of God, we will learn to be generous ourselves.

- Marjorie Hewitt Suchocki

Disciplines 2012

From “Remembrance and Anticipation” by Marjorie Hewitt Suchocki, page 342 in The Upper Room Disciplines 2012: A Book of Daily Devotions. Copyright © 2011 by Upper Room Books. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Where is God working to redefine your needs? Share your thoughts.

Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my followers would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not from here.”
John 18:36 NRSV

This Week: pray for victims of natural disasters. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Do you long for a deeper experience of faith and a place to nourish your spiritual life? The Academy for Spiritual Formation is excited to announce that Academy #35 is coming to the Mercy Center in Burlingame, California and we’re looking for qualified recruits to participate in this life-changing opportunity. Academy #35 begins in January 2013. Applications, brochures and additional details are available at http://Academy.UpperRoom.org.

This week we remember C.S. Lewis (November 12).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

heidi November 25, 2012 at 4:41 am

Over the past several years, I have come to see ever more clearly how much excess I have– me, someone who, by the world’s standards, already lives sparsely. I still have a way to go. But the oath to “My grace is sufficient,” which once seemed so drab and uninviting, is, indeed, way, truth– and life.

Jill– you have come out of this episode wiser and safe. Take off that t-shirt and put this behind you. And add the mystery baddies ;) to your prayers. You are in good company. The world beat up on many a good person. Thanks be to God for this community.

Jill November 25, 2012 at 5:01 am

Yes, Heidi – I surprised myself by praying for the spoofers.

I think that I lead a fairly simple life. God has helped me to re-prioritize things and show me that He is my only true need. Things, people, circumstances that He allows into my life – He makes me aware of how much importance/trust I put in them and allows me to decide where they fall on the significance scale. I can subtly go out of alignment – and He, in His mercy (and creativity) – makes me aware that something is out of kilter.

Father – thank You for Your abundant love…which covers my every need and want.

Buzz November 25, 2012 at 9:43 am

Jill,
Yes, take off the teeshirt and burn it.
God continues to bless you mightily.

robert moeller November 25, 2012 at 7:25 am

Downsizing and moving to a smaller but more convenient location is on our to do list. Need to be closer to medical care, don’t need such a large property to care for.

Very much want people without electricity and heat to have those back soon. They are not able to make meals and stay warm. Very glad, thankful, that help has been continuous and day by day more people are helped. Thanks be to God who is with us always.

I give thanks for the fellowship on this site, God is providing a lot of support through fellow believers. Thanks be to God.

Buzz November 25, 2012 at 9:46 am

Robert,
I am happy that you have been able to make the step of faith/ leap to your current level of participation.
God so blesses us.

robert moeller November 26, 2012 at 6:00 am

Thank you for your encouragement, Buzz. My new church is a blessing too.

Buzz November 25, 2012 at 9:56 am

Loving God,
I fought You all the way to where you have led me but I’m grateful and thankful that You did.
You know that at one time I could afford to buy with money everything I wanted.
You know that now I am almost always overdrawn in my bank account before my next social security check comes.
You know that even though I lost it all, I am more contented in my life.
I know Your son, Jesus, up close and personal.
He is more than enough. THANK YOU.
Amen.

Michael Ulmen November 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm

This is an area where I am still not in total submission to GOD; I just can’t agree wth GOD about whether sex for an unmarried man is a serious offence against GOD! I have been celibate for 10 years as of this week and I have had prostate Cancer once alraedy and my PSA is going back up again. Granted, marriage would be better, both Physically and Spiritually, but after my divorce was finalized, and I had paid all of “our” debts by selling every bit of property I owned, there wasn’t enough left to do anything with, and certainly not enough to create any feminine interest in myself. I don’t feel very happy about this, especially since my in-laws had promised to give me the 10% down that they had promised me if the property was lost to foreclosure; which it was.

robert moeller November 26, 2012 at 5:57 am

Michael, you trust in God and while at the moment you face some difficult times, you are being cared for by the one who is the supreme power on heaven and earth. Your faith will keep you. Jesus told that to many who came to him.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 29, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Learning to submit to God’s perfect will which is the best though sometimes we may not feel so. When I reflected, I realized why God led and guided me in a certain way.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 29, 2012 at 11:34 pm

“Be it unto me” a song by Don Moen

Chorus:Be it unto me
According to your Word
According to your promises
I can stand secure
Carve upon my heart
The truth that sets me free
According to your Word O Lord
Be it unto me

You promised your blood will deliver
Lord, we believe it’s true
You promised us joy like a river
Lord we receive it from you
These things you have spoken
And you’re bringing to pass
This world’s disappearing
But your word will last

Chorus

You promised to carry our sorrows
Lord, we believe it’s true
You promised unending tomorrows
Lord we receive them from you
You be our provider
In your word it’s revealed
And by the stripes that you bore
Lord we have been healed