A Quiet Space for God

November 27, 2012

MERCIFUL AND LOVING GOD, welcome to my quiet space. Thank you for coming when I called.

I need you right now.

I need to be with you.

I need to feel your touch.

I need to hear your voice.

So many things are happening, and I feel overwhelmed. . . . I feel as if I’ve lost you in the midst of everything around me. And so, I sit quietly now and welcome your presence here with me.

Speak to me, O God, in this brief space. Slow my anxious thoughts, still my pounding heart, calm my fears and doubts. . . .

Remind me that I am your child and that I don’t have to be afraid or overwhelmed.

Touch me, God, in this moment. Let me feel your hand upon me, your love pouring over me, your comforting Holy Spirit all around me. . . .

Thank you for your ever-present love.

Keep me in your presence today, O Lord, no matter what befalls me.

- Patricia Wilson
Quiet Spaces

From pages 24-26 of Quiet Spaces: Prayer Interludes for Women by Patricia Wilson. Copyright © 2002 by Patricia F. Wilson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Consider using all or part of the prayer above as part of a daily Advent practice. Share your thoughts.

In those days and at that time I will cause a righteous Branch to spring up for David; and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land.
Jeremiah 33:15 NRSV

This Week: pray for those who struggle to forgive. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

It’s not too late to join Upper Room eLearning for this year’s online Advent retreat, Singing Mary’s Song: An Advent Message of Hope and Deliverance. Daily meditations, audio readings, and online small group discussions will take us from December 3 – December 29 (eRetreat classroom opens November 30) all from your computer. Join in anytime from anywhere you have Internet access. Learn more.

This week we remember Sister Dorothy Kazel (November 12).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Jill November 27, 2012 at 3:51 am

I am looking forward to Advent – I have a new Advent book that I will be using to guide me through the season.

The prayer above really is the cry of my heart this AM. Stepping out from the chaos of yesterday, into the stillness of this morning, trying to keep my cluttered mind clear for a few moments here with my Father. Thank You for Your protection. Keep me alert and guide my steps.

To the faithful community of this message board – I ask your prayers. Yesterday morning – when I arrived at my classroom (in an inner-city high school) – one of my windows was open and there was gang graffiti on my chalkboard. I am not too shaken, but my awareness is heightened. My first class had to endure the security team, police and administrators coming in, taking pictures, etc. A tough way to come back from Thanksgiving break.

heidi November 27, 2012 at 5:41 am

Keeping you in prayer, Jill. It is a difficult thing, when one’s space us violated in such a manner. May God’s presence prevail and pervade, and may you continue to make a difference in the lives of those you teach.

Betsy November 27, 2012 at 6:02 am

I am also a teacher, Jill. I know you are shaken by the events in your classroom. Know that you are making a difference in so many young people’s lives. The action of a few cannot diminish what you accomplish every day in your classroom. I will pray for you, as well as pray for the troubled persons who defiled that place.

robert moeller November 27, 2012 at 6:21 am

Jill. taught in inner city school for 17 years but never had this happen in my classroom, although often the school had things stolen. Glad you had security check things out even though I’m sure kids and class were disrupted. You, your classes, your school, and community are in my prayers.

Connie November 27, 2012 at 6:53 am

Praying for you, Jill, that this will never happen again and that God will keep you and your students safe from harm.

Buzz November 27, 2012 at 8:14 am

Jill,
Praying for you and with you.

Ellen December 22, 2012 at 3:44 am

Yo if you hve time come to rbirdzachs shop to buy good and noxnepnesive items one item is if you buy it neomail me and you get a prize and people who put 500 exclamation marks yes we know youre happy i dont want to waste my time scrolling down that crap

robert moeller November 27, 2012 at 6:36 am

While there certainly have been times and probably will be times when I need God desperately, at the moment I’m concerned but calm. Read Isaiah 53-55 last night. Chapter 53, especially, is very prophetic about Christ, a very good way to begin Advent.

We all have our struggles with forgiveness, some are bigger and some smaller, sometimes we make mountains out of mole hills and stumble over them. Lord you know all of this, help us be like you and forgive as you do. Your love covers a multitude of sins, help us spread your love in Jesus name. Amen.

Calvin December 22, 2012 at 5:04 am

This is definitely a good idea to inludce our website in email’s signature. You can also set your IM’s title to your website, put your website’s URL in forum’s signature, and etc to get more people know about it.

Buzz November 27, 2012 at 8:22 am

Using words not unlike the words of today’s meditation calms my spirit and my psyche to talk with God. My stillness is essential to balancing my prayer thoughts between talking and listening. It’s in the listening, which was not easy for me to learn how to do, that I’m so, so blessed.

Jay November 27, 2012 at 10:15 am

I’m re-reading ‘The Purpose Driven Life’ for Advent. It’s an excellent book. Easy to read and impactful! I would encourage everyone to read it.

Michael Ulmen November 28, 2012 at 4:39 pm

There couldn’t be a better time for me to hear this message! I am coming under severe attack from Satan and his mob. I have been a Spirit- Filled Christian for 40 years now, and I sometimes feel that GOD’s SON, Jesus Christ is not a real Being. I am living in an excellent Assisted Living Facility in North Seattle, and unlike most people here, my closest living relative is halfway across the Continent from me . I almost always start my day by reading “THE Upper Room ” large print devotional; then I try to pray for a short time, before I go down to breakfast. I As I go through the day I try to remain in constant contact with Brother and Savior JESUS CHRIST, GOD, AND THE HOLY SPIRIT. The problem is that I sometimes feel that this Being that I am talking with is an invention of my imagination, and that the real Beings that I “pretend ” to be talking with are really inventions of my imagination>