Silently Now I Wait for Thee

WE NEED TIMES of silent waiting, alone, when the busy intellect is not leaping from problem to problem, and from puzzle to puzzle. If we learn the secret of carrying a living silence in the center of our being, we can listen on the run. The listening silence can become intertwined with all our inward prayers. A few moments of relaxed silence, alone, every day, are desperately important.
— Thomas Kelly

– Edited by Keith Beasley-Topliffe

The Sanctuary of the Soul

From page 47 of The Sanctuary of the Soul: Selected Writings of Thomas Kelly, edited by Keith Beasley-Topliffe. Copyright © 1997 by Upper Room Books. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Are you able to practice silent waiting as a part of your spiritual discipline? Share your thoughts.

In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will live in safety. And this is the name by which it will be called: “The LORD is our righteousness.”
Jeremiah 33:16 NRSV

This Week: pray for those who struggle to forgive. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

It’s not too late to join Upper Room eLearning for this year’s online Advent retreat, Singing Mary’s Song: An Advent Message of Hope and Deliverance. Daily meditations, audio readings, and online small group discussions will take us from December 3 – December 29 (eRetreat classroom opens November 30) all from your computer. Join in anytime from anywhere you have Internet access. Learn more.

This week we remember Sister Dorothy Kazel (November 12).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

• Jill November 28, 2012, 3:24 am

Friends – thank you so very much for your support. Yesterday was a much more normal day – if there is such a thing in high school education. I felt the strength of your prayers.

Silent waiting, intentional silence has become a bigger part of my spiritual discipline. This morning – I began with yesterday’s prayer again…just slowly working my way through it. Being deliberate during this time and very intentionally striving to keep my mind focused. A labor at times, but a labor of love.

• robert moeller November 29, 2012, 4:22 am

I hear you loud and clear about today’s high school education. Very glad things have settled down and are more “normal”. Like the writer of today’s devotion my first jobs came easily, that job I retired from was a 17 year struggle. I often wondered why I was there but God pulled me through. God will do the same for you.

• Jay November 28, 2012, 7:12 am

Jill-glad to hear things are back to “normal”. :)

Silent waiting is not something I do very well. I feel the urge to always be active. It’s strange that it can take more effort to not be active and simply sit quietly with my thoughts than it does to be active. I need to work on this more.

• Joan November 28, 2012, 7:34 am

i think it is true that the more this is part of the rhythm of your life, the easier it is to fall into it, even during a time of stress. I certainly need to be more in tune with this rhythm. For me, centering prayer has been an important practice to allow me to center. The busy mind continues so I appreciate Jay’s comments about it taking more effort to not be active than to be active. How true. Thanks for all these comments and for Jill.

• heidi November 28, 2012, 9:20 am

“My, how busy we become when we lose sight of how God loves us.” –Julian of Norwich

We get busier and busier– and then,soon in the midst of our busy-ness, again God will appear, wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger, to remind us of how God loves us.

Do not get so busy that you miss it. Not once in Scripture does God say, “Get real busy, do a lot, so you will hear my voice.” But often we are admonished to be still and know.

• Connie November 28, 2012, 9:25 am

Silently…………………….Ready, My God, Thy will to see…….

Yes, I can be silent. And I can be very animated in my opionions and feelings, but as Advent approaches, it is good to set aside time for quietness and reflection. I will try.

• Buzz November 28, 2012, 12:05 pm

Be Still.
    When I go to God in prayer, why is it so hard for my mind to quiet?
    It’s in the quiet that I have heard God’s still small voice in my soul.
    It’s as I come closer to God that the Evil One becomes more agitated against me.
    Why is it so hard for me to recognize the Evil One for what it is?

• Michael Ulmen November 28, 2012, 1:25 pm

Yes, a time of quiet meditation is very important, but sometimes I have a difficult time if I know what GOD is trying to do in my life, but I am resisting GOD! This usually occurs when GOD is asking me to be celibate. I have an addiction to Adrenalin highs. and they used to occur mostly in relationships, but now are being replaced by Auto Racing, and other simular exciting experiences.

• Buzz November 29, 2012, 8:22 am

“Resistence is futile.” (“Star Trek”)