Where There Is Love

December 3, 2012

WHERE THERE IS love and wisdom,
there is neither fear nor ignorance.
Where there is patience and humility,
there is neither anger nor vexation.
Where there is poverty with joy,
there is neither greed nor avarice.
Where there is peace and meditation,
there is neither anxiety nor doubt.
Where the fear of the Lord stands guard,
there the enemy finds no entry.
Where there is mercy and moderation,
there is neither indulgence nor harshness.

-St. Francis of Assisi
The Riches of Simplicity

From The Riches of Simplicity: Selected Writings of Francis and Clare, edited by Keith Beasley-Topliffe. Copyright © 1998 by Upper Room Books. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray a prayer of thanksgiving for your experiences of God’s love through others. Share your thoughts.

See, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way before me, and the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple. The messenger of the covenant in whom you delight–indeed, he is coming, says the LORD of hosts.
Malachi 3:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for those who struggle to forgive. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Now in 19 languages and distributed around the world, Prayers for Encouragement offers spiritual care and hope for people suffering from HIV/AIDS. Join us as we offer support to World AIDS Day.

This week we remember Nicholas (December 6).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

robert moeller December 1, 2012 at 2:42 am

Yes, Lord I am very thankful for the love I have received through others – Mom and Dad, children – Jenny and Erich, soon to be wife – Anneliese, and many new friends through model railroading. Through these people I am sustained by your love. Thank you Lord.

Lord, I keep before you in my prayers those who have a hard time to forgive. We somewhat easily say “forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us” but do we do it in our hearts. For us Lord all forgiveness is not equal, some trespasses we forgive easily while others become tough as nails and rather than pull them out, we drive them in. Help us forgive every trespass as you forgive us.
In your name I pray. Amen.

Jill December 1, 2012 at 5:38 am

Father – I thank You for giving me this morning the passage from Psalm 25 – this will be my focus during Advent. I will couple it with a line from the above passage…seeking to be fortified with patience and humility. Father – direct me into Your peacefulness during this Advent period. May the stresses of school fall away, may the distractions of relationships cease, and just draw me nearer to Your Son. I long for simplicity these next four weeks.

heidi December 1, 2012 at 6:20 am

Today is World AIDS Day 2012.

This prayer says it all. Offers the only ‘way out’ of the pain, the loss, the ignorance this disease has cultivated.

Where there is anything– let me sow love. Amen

Connie December 1, 2012 at 9:39 am

Yes, love can transform anything or anyone.

His December 1, 2012 at 7:11 am

“Love has a hem to her garment
that reaches the very dust.
It sweeps the streets and lanes,
and because it can, it must.”

– Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Father,

From Your bosom Your love has made its way through the lives of many to find a home in me. Thank You for each and every life that has mercifully touched mine, beginning with Yours.

In Jesus Christ’s name I pray. Amen.

Connie December 1, 2012 at 9:37 am

Lord, thank you for the angels in human form that you have sent my way in the last few weeks. I see your hand there.

Thank you for the avancements made in the treatment of Aids and bless those who deal with it. Please eliminate this disease altogether.

In the name of Jesus. Amen

Buzz December 1, 2012 at 10:38 am

Loving God Almigty,
Thank you for the love You give me through my wife, for the love You give me through my friends on this blog, for the love You give me through Jesus Christ, for the love You directly personally give me.
Amen.

Randall December 3, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Baby Jesus,

You and your mother Mary and Joseph make so many people happy this time of year. However, there as you said is much to be done. I pray for the family who lost their daughter and son in the shooting of the Kansas City Chiefs. We have to pray for change in laws about gun control. We need I think to be like that little baby born so innocent 2000 years ago. Jesus, help us to be more like your mother Mary and Patron of the Universal Church Joseph. I love knowing you are my Savior that was born to save me from my sins and everyone for that matter.

Please pray for my sister who is going through radiation treatments this month. Fellow Christians, like the Holy Family who we celebrate a few days after Christmas, guide us to be more like you during those first days of your existance.

Thank you God almighty Father. Thank you for giving me wonderful Grandparents, neighbors and friends.

Prepare yourselves this Advent not just for Christmas but to keep the spirit alive all year long.

Randall December 3, 2012 at 4:42 pm

The Holy Family is our Catholic Church’s name. Wonderful that Cardinal Timothy Dolan of Saint Patrick’s of New York chose that for Fond du Lac, Wisconsin Catholic Congregation.

Buzz December 3, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Randall,
Praying for your sister.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 6, 2013 at 12:54 am

Thank you God for your amazing love for me which is unconditional. I am also grateful to you for my parents’ love for me, my sister’s love for me and my friends’ love for me.

Help us God to reflect your love in our life so that many will come to know you as their personal Lord and Savior.