Persevering Prayers

December 4, 2012

PRAYER BEST UNDERSTOOD takes the long perspective and requires our patient perseverance. How do we become more patient? First, we remind ourselves that God is patient with us. A recurring refrain, found throughout the Old Testament, says this clearly:
“The Lord is gracious and merciful,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.” Psalm 145:8

…Patience is the friend of intercessory prayer. Without patience, intercession cannot do justice to the God who is gracious and merciful or to the person “standing in the need of prayer.” Patience allows the divine will and purpose to unfold. When we are prone to premature closure, patience sees the possibility of a new creation (2 Cor. 5:17). Patience also makes a space for confession and repentance, reconciliation and a new covenant.

We may pray for individuals over the course of days, months, or years. When we do so, we pray patiently—steadfastly but patiently. We do not lose heart (Luke 18:1).

- Kenneth H. Carter Jr.
“Pray for Me”

From pages 86-87 of “Pray for Me”: The Power in Praying for Others by Kenneth H. Carter Jr. Copyright © 2011 by Kenneth H. Carter Jr. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

For whom are you praying? Share your thoughts.

But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears? For he is like a refiner’s fire and like fullers’ soap; he will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the descendants of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, until they present offerings to the LORD in righteousness.
Malachi 3:2-3, NRSV

This Week: pray for those who struggle to forgive. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Now in 19 languages and distributed around the world, Prayers for Encouragement offers spiritual care and hope for people suffering from HIV/AIDS. Join us as we offer support to World AIDS Day.

This week we remember Nicholas (December 6).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

heidi December 4, 2012 at 5:06 am

I pray for Sean, victim of an horrific accident. I pray for Peter, that he might trust more deeply. I pray for Edgar, curmudgeon extraordinaire. I pray for pastors as we point the way again to the Christ Child. I pray for– you. And I pray for me.

Buzz December 4, 2012 at 7:56 am

and I’m praying for you, Heidi.

robert moeller December 4, 2012 at 5:32 am

I pray for Jenny and Chris and the baby coming, for Erich, for Anneliese, for churches past and present, for those who don’t have Christ in their hearts, for family and friends near and far, and I give thanks for the blessings I have.

Lord, may we all follow your commandment to forgive others as you have forgiven us that all will know your love, mercy, and grace. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Buzz December 4, 2012 at 7:58 am

I’m praying for you, Robert.

Patricia Barton December 4, 2012 at 7:56 am

I pray for my son-in-law who is searching for a job. I pray God will place him where his talents will shine.

Buzz December 4, 2012 at 7:59 am

I pray for you and your son-in-law, Patricia.

Buzz December 4, 2012 at 8:11 am

I pray iintercessory prayer for many persons. For my wife. For me. For Heidi. For Emily. For Bocce (my ShihTzu dog). For Robert and Patricia. For my estranged children. For my ex-spouse. For my wife’s children. For my wife’s ex-spouse. For the Upper Room Ministries. For the callers on the Upper Room Prayer Center Phone Line to whom I will talk this morning. For the almost 200 names in my Prayer Journal this day. I pray for many others as well. I pray for the unknown.

robert moeller December 5, 2012 at 5:03 am

Thank you, for your prayers Buzz, as we lift each other up to God, God’s love comes to us all. When two or three are gathered in His name, Jesus is with us.

Connie December 4, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I pray for my family, for friends, for church family requests, for pastors, present and past, for my neighbors, for the Upper Room and its outreaches and for myself at times. Yes, I do pray with patience, perseverence and hope and I will not be deterred!

Connie December 4, 2012 at 1:19 pm

P.S. Today I also prayed for Heidi, Buzz, Robert, and Patricia.

Paula December 4, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I pray for my Dad who is scheduled for a heart catherization. I pray for my daughter, Rachel, as she is trying to heal following a heart breaking split with her boyfriend, causing her to question her faith..I pray for my son as he works on is college degree. I pray for my husband that he may speak more lovingly to his family. I pray for healing for myself, as I suffer from chronic back pain and fibromyalgia.

Dear Lord, I feel so needy, but I know my Heavenly Father can help me carry my burdens. Please walk this road in my life with me. Amen.

robert moeller December 5, 2012 at 5:06 am

I pray for you as you deal with chronic back pain and fibromyalgia.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 6, 2013 at 12:41 am

Father Gid, grant us patience and nit lose heart as we wait for your divine will and purpose to unfold.

I pray for thse who are sick, may your healing hands be upon them. I also pray for those who are looking for a job or a better job, better pay, better bosses, may you place us where our talents will shine brightly for you. In our life, may you be glorified, o God!

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 9, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Father Gid, grant us patience and not lose heart as we wait for your divine will and purpose to unfold.

George May 19, 2013 at 5:55 pm

please pray. I am praying that GOD will place me in my ex wife heart, thoughts and dreams and bring us back together. Married for 20 years with 3 beautiful boys. she is unresponsive to reconciliation at present and needs GOD’S touch of grace. Thank you George