Patience, Hope, And Intercession

December 5, 2012

HOPE LIFTS OUR eyes above the present human condition and circumstance. … Without hope, there is little motivation for patience. But where hope is present—and hope is a gift of God (1 Cor. 13:13)—there is a will to continue and a path forward. …

Each Advent our congregation lights the candles of peace, hope, joy, love, and light. Each Advent I preach a sermon that touches on the gift of hope. At times I will look back over sermons preached in prior years—I do not want to repeat myself! I note that the world was troubled—warfare, famine, terrorism, poverty. And yet we light the candle of hope anyway, for the prophets taught us to live hopefully, toward the vision of a new heaven and a new earth (Isa. 65:17).

Patience and hope are the friends of intercession. They prod us to stay with it; their presence encourages us not to give up or lose heart. Like friends, they are there when we need them most, helping us to walk in the right paths, lifting our hearts and spirits.

- Kenneth H. Carter Jr.
“Pray for Me”

From pages 87-88 of “Pray for Me”: The Power in Praying for Others by Kenneth H. Carter Jr. Copyright © 2011 by Kenneth H. Carter Jr. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

For what do you hope? Share your thoughts.

“Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, for he has looked favorably on his people and redeemed them.”
Luke 1:68, NRSV

This Week: pray for those who struggle to forgive. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Now in 19 languages and distributed around the world, Prayers for Encouragement offers spiritual care and hope for people suffering from HIV/AIDS. Join us as we offer support to World AIDS Day.

This week we remember Nicholas (December 6).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Jill December 5, 2012 at 3:56 am

I hope for healing of a wound (emotional) that I ripped open this past weekend. The wound is different and deep for both people. Why do we always hurt the ones we love the most? That is ever so true in my life. Father – Healer of all – I ask Your special healing on the other right now. Thank You for showing us what forgiveness looks like. Lead us both down that path.

Buzz December 5, 2012 at 10:37 am

Jill,
I’m praying healing on all your wounds. I’m praying for peace in your spirit.

robert moeller December 5, 2012 at 4:42 am

I hope for healing, both emotional and physical, for Anneliese; for a happy healthy baby for Jenny and Chris, for continuing college for Erich, for God’s love and peace to all who journal here, for an end to all the violence around the world, and most of all that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow. Lord, only with you is all of this possible, in your name I pray. Amen.

Buzz December 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

Robert,
I am praying your prayer with you.

robert moeller December 5, 2012 at 4:58 am

Lord, with patience and hope I pray for everyone, including me, struggling with forgiving. I lift us all up to you asking that our hearts be changed and in our repentance the same kind of forgiveness you grant us will, with your love, be granted to others. In your name I pray. Amen.

Philippians 1:3-11 is as powerful and encouraging for us as it was when Paul wrote it long ago.

Jay December 5, 2012 at 5:28 am

I am blessed to have an hopeful outlook on life but those times that it wavers I should lean on the one true source of strength not man made crutches.

Father,
Please watch over and comfort all my friends and family have lost loved ones or are in poor health. Amen

Sharona December 5, 2012 at 9:28 am

I hope for a better future for all who are still struggling in this economy. This time of year can be especially difficult for those with limited resources.

Lord, please plant forgiveness in my heart, and in the hearts of all those struggling with it. Let us also pray for our leaders to provide some hope for the unemployed and the poor. Amen.

Andria December 5, 2012 at 9:47 am

I pray for healing of loss in my life and for light, guidance and support on the way forward.
Thank you and God bless all who are posting prayers.
Amen

Buzz December 5, 2012 at 10:49 am

I hope for basically good health for me, my wife and my dog as the 3 of us move into our senior years.
I hope for a sound mind for me and my wife as we begin to age.

I pray for all of us who regularly visit this site.

Loving and Almighty God,
I pray that the hopes of all of us are met with Your continued grace in this world.
Amen.

George December 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Praying with HOPE and TRUST in Jesus, for Josiah, an infant whom the Doctors say has no hope, and they can do nothing for.

Sally Friedli December 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

Prayers for Josiah.

Dianne December 6, 2012 at 7:16 am

Another prayer said for Josiah.

Sally Friedli December 6, 2012 at 9:01 am

Peace. hope, calm and joy….wonderful words to remember during this busy Christmas season. During prayer time last night we read in the first chapter of Luke about when the upcoming birth of Christ was announced to Mary. I felt a calmness come over me…just reading this passage reminded me what Christmas is all about. I hope I can still feel that calmness as I prepare my home, buy presents, bake goodies and be ready for Christmas Day…and also be spiritually ready for the birth of our Savior.

This will be our second Christmas without our son, Ben, who died suddenly on July 4, 2011. I ask for prayers for my family as we get through another Christmas without him. He loved Christmas more than any other celebration and brought complete joy and happiness into our lives. I pray for others who have lost ones they dearly loved..that the Lord give them peace and hope to get through this Christmas.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 6, 2013 at 12:22 am

Praying for those who missed their loved ones and those struggling for their life both physically and financially.