Restore Us, O God

December 8, 2012

IN MUTED WHISPERS we articulate our hope;
Restore us again, O God of our salvation.
With mounting anticipation we prepare for your coming;
Revive us again, that we may rejoice in you.
Amidst rising hopes we turn to you, O God;
Show us your steadfast love.
Lord, let us hear now your words to us;
Speak peace to your people.
Faithful One, prepare our hearts to receive your joy;
the joyful kiss of righteousness and peace.

- Bill Treadway

Alive Now, Nov/Dec 1999

Poem by Bill Treadway, page 33 in Alive Now, November/December 1999. Copyright & copy; 1999 by The Upper Room. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How do you experience the restorative power of God? Share your thoughts.

…during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the wilderness. He went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins…

Luke 3:2-3, NRSV

This Week: pray for those who struggle to forgive. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Now in 19 languages and distributed around the world, Prayers for Encouragement offers spiritual care and hope for people suffering from HIV/AIDS. Join us as we offer support to World AIDS Day.

This week we remember Nicholas (December 6).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

robert moeller December 8, 2012 at 3:29 am

After I pray, do devotions, I feel God’s restorative power. My concerns have been expressed and even though God knows them before me, I feel helped.

Help Anneliese with her feelings that her brothers do not care about her. They know where she lives, should have her address, and yet seldom write. Help her forgive as you forgive Lord.

Help Bernd deal with his new found tumor and let there be peace, love, and harmony between sister and brothers.

heidi December 8, 2012 at 4:52 am

Lord of mercy and grace, in your wisdom, hear our prayers. Amen.

robert moeller December 9, 2012 at 3:41 am

Yes, Lord, hear our prayers.

heidi December 8, 2012 at 5:10 am

This time of year, it can be both obvious and exceptionally challenging, at the same time, to experience God’s restorative touch. The world hurries and scurries all around us. Finding that quiet space can be its own challenge. Yet still, God waits, beckons to our spirit.

Advent. The time of hope, fulfilled promise. Four weeks to slow down and remember, not just the coming birth of the Christ child, but of the hush over all Creation; the pain of the Hebrew mothers whose young sons have been murdered by a cruel king; the centuries if watching and waiting, hoping and praying for the words of the prophets to be fulfilled. Do I live my life in this same sense of hope? We know how the story ends — or continues– but they did not. What if?

For me, if I do not take the time to sit in the darkness and listen for the anguished cries of a desperate world, the visits of angels and shepherds and kings carry a different feeling. It has always been this way– for me– long before God got a serious hold on my life.

(. . . did I answer the prompt?) ;)

Buzz December 9, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Heidi,
Partly. You start to touch your soul then immediately bounce away to get all heady.
Since I know you, I sense what you are trying to tell yourself. That restorative love of yours is good and very, very good.

Jill December 8, 2012 at 6:37 am

I experience the restorative power power of God when I humble myself before Him seeking His forgiveness. When I get out of the way, empty myself – there is room for His power, His presence, His love.

So, it’s long hard looks, sometimes subtle…sometimes vast leaps, it’s in crying, it’s in praising. So many forms…but they are genuine calls to Him.

Mel December 8, 2012 at 6:43 am

I feel it with nature and movement. How especially wonderful are walks at sunset or sunrise on clear days or on a beach or in the mountains.

Betsy December 8, 2012 at 7:57 am

I, too ,feel God around me, restoring my strength, as I walk outdoors. Viewing a sunset, listening to birds, watching the leaves color all remind me of His work in all of nature. Being still and knowing that God is at work!

Connie December 8, 2012 at 8:56 am

The restorative power of God is a wonderful thing. It restores us during the Advent season, it restores us during the Lenten season, it restores us every day of our lives. What more could we ask?

robert moeller December 9, 2012 at 3:42 am

How true, God is with us always. It is the best blessing possible.

Sheryl December 17, 2012 at 2:14 pm

A friend just introduced me to Upper Room, and I am catching up on this month’s thoughts. This particular question, about feeling the restorative power of God, prompts me to say that I cannot feel it, try as I might. This has been a year of deep and multiple losses in our family: a dear friend and my husband’s brain surgeon, my young husband, my sister’s father-in-law, my sister’s uncle by marriage, and now her mother-in-law is in hospice. We all feel so beaten down but are trying so hard. I know God is present in the friends that surround and uplift us, but sadness and despair are so close by and always threatening to overwhelm.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 5, 2013 at 11:16 pm

God’s restorative power works in renewing of our mind and recharging us for ministry.

After confession and praying for forgiveness, I simply wait as I sit at a corner of a park or garden feeling the breeze and the touch of sun rays, I feel restored by God’s love and power.