Growing in Faith

December 10, 2012

ACCORDING TO THE APOSTLE PAUL, Christians have been given what we need in order to grow in faithfulness as we wait in expectancy for Christ to be revealed to us. We have what we need, not because of anything we do or own or accomplish, but because God faithfully provides the spiritual gifts required to become and live as people of faith. We are equipped to welcome, receive, follow, and serve the Lord Jesus Christ.

If you have a “Christmas list” begun where you list gifts you plan to give, take the list and at the top of it or in the margin, write down three “spiritual gifts” that God has already given you. Some examples might be patience, listening, prayer, compassion, wisdom, gentleness, teaching, faith, peace, healing, etc. Thank God for these gifts, and as the season moves forward, consider how you might share these gifts with others throughout the season.

- Pamela C. Hawkins
Behold!

From page 31 of Behold! Cultivating Attentiveness in the Season of Advent by Pamela C. Hawkins. Copyright © 2011 by Pamela C. Hawkins. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Name some gifts of the faith that God has given you to share with others. Share your thoughts.

Sing aloud, O daughter Zion; shout, O Israel! Rejoice and exult with all your heart, O daughter Jerusalem!
Zephaniah 3:14, NRSV

This Week: pray for those who are tempted to spend beyond their means. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

During this season of wonder and joy, give the gift of hope and encouragement to friends and family. Celebrate the season by giving a gift of The Upper Room. Learn more.

This week we remember Sister Alicia Domon (December 6).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

robert moeller December 10, 2012 at 2:41 am

Patience and compassion to help Erich, Anneliese, and Jenny are gifts from God.

Yes, Lord I ask for help in controlling my spending for myself but also wisdom to know when and how to spend for others. Often I want to give to help beyond what I have.

Jill December 10, 2012 at 3:41 am

I think that God has helped me to become a better listener, and an avid intercessor. I sense the deepness of one listening to me with full attention, and strive to give that to another. I have become more aware of the timeliness of intercessory prayer.

Mel December 10, 2012 at 6:35 am

My gifts seem relatively modest, but even in their modesty they are at times helpful to others and to me. I thank God for those gifts, especially of faith, teaching and compassion. Thank you, Lord!

Jay December 10, 2012 at 6:42 am

Father, at the time I certainly wouldn’t have realized that the childhood I had was a gift but now I look back and realize that it helped me develop the interpersonal gifts you game me. Thank you! Amen

heidi December 10, 2012 at 7:04 am

Two ears to listen. A curious heart to love. Words to share.

Buzz December 10, 2012 at 3:48 pm

and 1 marvelous spirit of discernment.

Joan December 10, 2012 at 7:47 am

This e-mail site and this reading, as a start. And, I plan to share this reading with my group and friends. So, one gift I has is pointing others to the richness of their own spiritual journey and the richness available all around them. Peace to you all

His December 10, 2012 at 8:32 am

Father, I thank You for giving me the gift of faith to believe in the gift of the life, death, resurrection, and ascension of Your Son, the Lord Jesus Christ for my salvation in Him. Thank You for the gift of Your Holy Spirit and for Your Word. Thank You too for the gift of the body of Christ of which I am a member and for the shepherds and leaders You have placed over me. Thank You for the gift of life at this particular time in history. As for the spiritual gifts You have given me for Your glory, I thank You for the gifts of encouragement, discernment, words of knowledge and wisdom, prayer, and compassion. In Jesus Christ’s name I pray. Amen.

Sharona December 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I am thankful for faith, compassion, and joy, three gifts I can share and enjoy with others. Thank you, Lord, for these and many other gifts, especially the gift of music and song. Amen.

Buzz December 10, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Some of my gifts to share with others are: intercessory prayer, listening, discernment, encouragement, gentleness. These are the ones that I know about.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 5, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Thank you Father God for blessing me with the gift of music, the gift of teaching and the gift of wisdom to write meditations so that others can be inspired to love you more, the serve you more and to know you more intimately.