Waiting In Advent

December 11, 2012

OFTEN I STAND on the edge of the light, afraid to believe, afraid to act, afraid that this story is too good to be true. But then in my better moments, when I listen closely to the story, move closer to the light, my fears seem to evaporate like an early morning mist, and I can believe again. I can believe that God who made all that is became clothed in our human flesh so that we might become clothed in God. I can believe that God claims me as a beloved child. I can believe that my days are in God’s strong and tender hands. I can believe that life is good, beautiful, and eternal. I can believe, rejoice, and wait trustingly and expectantly for the unfolding of God’s promise given so many ways and most clearly in the Advent story. Thanks be to God!

- Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job

A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God

From page 24 of A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God, by Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job. Copyright © 2003 by the authors. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What affirmations of belief can you share this Advent season? Share your thoughts.

The LORD, your God, is in your midst, a warrior who gives victory; he will rejoice over you with gladness, he will renew you in his love; he will exult over you with loud singing as on a day of festival. I will remove disaster from you, so that you will not bear reproach for it.
Zephaniah 3:17-18, NRSV

This Week: pray for those who are tempted to spend beyond their means. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

During this season of wonder and joy, give the gift of hope and encouragement to friends and family. Celebrate the season by giving a gift of The Upper Room. Learn more.

This week we remember Sister Alicia Domon (December 6).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Jill December 11, 2012 at 3:32 am

I believe that He rejoices over me with singing. I believe that He waits patiently for me to come before Him. I believe in the power of the Holy Spirit – to mold clay into something unforeseen. I believe in the peace that passeth understanding.

robert moeller December 11, 2012 at 4:53 am

I believe God heard my prayers and there’s progress in my son’s effort to continue his college education. I believe God’s wisdom has come to Anneliese and I through the Holy Spirit and is helping us make good decisions about not buying a house we saw. Put God first and all these things will be given to you.

There is help too for those of us who spend beyond our means.
Thanks be to God whose love works through those who love him.

Jay December 11, 2012 at 6:16 am

There isn’t a single event, answered prayer or tangible thing that I can’t point to as a recent affirmation of belief. But I absolutely feel that “still, quiet voice” leading me down the Christian path which is sufficient for me. Thank you Father!

Buzz December 11, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Holy compassion and intercession for those who call on the Upper Room Prayer Center Prayer Phone Line. I prayed today for 2 women as the cried out their pain before our Loving God among others who called..

Andria December 12, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Please pray for me and for all who are in a time of transition, who are healing from a difficult, heartbreaking situation; who are waiting to hear God’s call to what is next. Please also pray for me and for all who need to adjust to a new financial reality. Thank you and God bless all of you in this beautiful Advent season.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 5, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Andria, praying that God will grant you strength, peace and a double portion of his grace to go through this period of adjustment.

I believe that I am a beloved child of God. I believe that my future is in God’s hand and He has a wonderful plan for my life.