Devotional Life

WE TAKE A GIANT STEP FORWARD in Christian devotion when we see it more as a life to be lived than as a time to be observed. Consequently, it is more appropriate to speak of a “devotional life” than a “devotional time.”

– Rueben P. Job and Norman Shawchuck
A Guide to Prayer for All God’s People

Steve Harper, Devotional Life in the Wesleyan Tradition,quoted in page 70 in A Guide to Prayer for All God’s People by Rueben P. Job and Norman Shawchuck. Copyright & copy; 1990 by The Upper Room. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Do you agree that there is a difference between a devotional life and a devotional time? Share your thoughts.

Give the king your justice, O God, and your righteousness to a king’s son. May he judge your people with righteousness, and your poor with justice.
Psalm 72:1-2, NRSV

This Week: pray for those committed to new beginnings. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Millions of people worldwide join The Upper Room. Every day, the meditation is available in 100 countries, in 35 languages because of our donors. Please give a gift of $20, $50, or even more today.

This week we remember Simeon Stylites (January 5).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

• Jill January 2, 2013, 5:10 am

A devotional time is part of a devotional life. I had not considered this thought before. I think you can have time without the life, but not life without the time. Will think more about this today.

• robert moeller January 2, 2013, 5:43 am

I agree with Jill. One, time, leads to the other, life. Spending time with God leads to life with God.

• robert moeller January 2, 2013, 5:51 am

A new year and new beginnings are on the horizon, my son starts a new school where he should be able to finish his degree, my daughter and her husband expect the birth of their first child, Anneliese and I are progressing in plans for our future together. So much to be thankful for.
    Lord, your mercies are new everyday, in you there is hope and love eternal. I pray I keep on the path that leads to you. In Jesus name I pray. Amen

• Buzz January 2, 2013, 12:55 pm

Robert,
      I like what you have to say.
      May I offer tweaking your last sentence slightly?
      Praise God that you are “keeping on keeping on” the path of righteousness.
      From a psychological standpoint, when I pray that I might do ___ I leave room for distraction then doubt to creep in; then failure. When I praise God that I am doing ____ I make it tougher for the weakness to sneak in.
      So, I’m Just Saying.

• robert moeller January 3, 2013, 4:01 am

Thank you for the “tweak”. Its a good one. The Lord is with you.

• Connie January 2, 2013, 6:39 am

Yes, a devotional life….that is my goal for 2013. Filled with devotional times that renew my spirit and devoted people who love God and encourage each other 365.
    Happy New Year all.

• Jay January 2, 2013, 7:30 am

Devotional life is a frame of mind that we all should strive for in our daily walk. Each day, each hour, each minute we walk, talk and breath.
    Sure it’s a tall order but its what is required!!
    Thanks for the reminder.

• Buzz January 2, 2013, 12:58 pm

Jay,
      I like what you have to say, too.
      The devotional life is a frame of mind. I can always be in it. I don’t have to wait for a “devotional time”.

• Doug Barnes January 9, 2014, 2:06 pm

Coach Jay,

I enjoyed your Jan 30, ’14 devotional, which mentioned making string crosses by going to this website. I looked all around w/o finding your instructions. Call it God’s guidance that I saw your name on this comment page. Would you kindly give me (and others) the directions for making the string crosses. This would be a blessing both personally and for Sunday school. Thanks so much.
        Blessings,
        Doug Barnes,
        Klamath Falls, OR

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:03 pm

Coach Jay, I could not find the instructions, either.
          However, I make them, too, and have a website, bin2salvation.com, where instructions are there for the ones I make.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 2, 2013, 6:13 pm

Devotional life is applying the truths of what we discover at devotional time. It is walking the talk. Putting in action what we learn from God’s Word.

• robert moeller January 3, 2013, 3:59 am

Absolutely true! Thank you for your insight.

• Robert Curtis August 19, 2013, 8:22 am

I was receiving The Upperroom devotional on my IPad ,somehow it was deleted and unsubscribed,please renew my subscription.

• Sylvia Crow December 24, 2013, 9:57 am

I enjoy my daily devotional with the Upper Room. I have tried to link up with the various contributors to view their pictures but don’t know what to click on.

• K k davis January 29, 2014, 10:06 am

Where do I find the pattern for Jay’s string crosses from the Jan 30th devotional?

• Shirley Hile January 30, 2014, 6:52 am

Will you please send the pattern for the string crosses?
      Thank you.

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:04 pm

• Rosemary Brown February 3, 2014, 6:51 pm

Where do I find the pattern for Jay’s string crosses from the Jan
      30th devotional? Also, any instructions on how to make them. My daughter and I want to do this as a project together. So please reply as soon as possible. Thank you

• Rosemary Brown February 3, 2014, 7:02 pm

Please e-mail me the instructions if possible. I am ready to make this a project to work with my daughter. Really enjoy the devotional readings, but the 30th of January, 2014 really got me excited about doing something and giving back to those I love. Let me hear from you soon. Thank you!!

• sharon January 30, 2014, 5:54 am

I also have been unable to find the instructions for Jay,s string crosses .

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:05 pm

• nancy January 30, 2014, 7:21 am

I enjoyed reading the Upper Room each morning. I tried to find Jay T. Basinger’s instructions for making Jay’s string crosses. Have a blessed day

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:05 pm

• Mindy January 30, 2014, 7:38 am

Where can I find the instructions for the string cross? Thank you for your help.

• sylvia blount January 30, 2014, 8:55 am

I have great grandkids that like crafts and what would be better than the string cross. Could you please e-mail me instructions.what a blessing that would be for my family

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:06 pm

• Linda January 30, 2014, 7:57 am

I’m looking for instructions for the string crosses Thank You Will they be emailed ?

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:06 pm

• Paul January 30, 2014, 8:11 am

Where do we find the pattern for the string crosses mentioned in the Jan.30 devotional by Jay?

• Carol Swim January 30, 2014, 8:34 am

I would like the pattern for making string crosses mentioned in the devotions this morning – 1-30-14.

Thank you!

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:07 pm

• Sue January 30, 2014, 8:33 am

Will you email the instructions for string crosses. I cannot locate.
    Sue

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:08 pm

• Carol Swim January 30, 2014, 8:35 am

I would like the pattern for the string crosses mentioned in todays devotions. 1-30-14.

Thank You!

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:08 pm

• Ruth E. Smith January 30, 2014, 8:59 am

Please email instructions for string crosses.

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:08 pm

• Verna Layne January 30, 2014, 9:05 am

PLEASE EMAIL INSTRUCTIONS FOR STRING CROSSES.

THANKS

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:11 pm

• Verna Layne January 30, 2014, 9:07 am

I ENJOYED YOUR ARTICLE FOR JANUARY 30, 2014.

PLEASE END ME THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING

STRING CROSSES. THANKS.

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:11 pm

• Verna Layne January 30, 2014, 9:09 am

I ENJOYED YOUR ARTICLE FOR JANUARY 30, 2014.

PLEASE END ME THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING

STRING CROSSES. THANKS. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE

EVER ATTEMPTED TO CONTACT YOU.

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:11 pm

• patsy arguello January 30, 2014, 9:10 am

please sent instructions for string crosses. thank you

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:12 pm

• patsy arguello January 30, 2014, 9:13 am

please send instructions for string crosses. thank you

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:12 pm

• crobair January 30, 2014, 9:15 am

please sent instructions for string crosses. everyday reader.

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:12 pm

• Ann January 30, 2014, 9:16 am

Please send me instructions for the string cross.

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:13 pm

• karka crosby January 30, 2014, 9:43 am

would love the pattern for the string crosses I teach a sunday class and that would be a awsome show of faith for the children to learn and be reminded

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:13 pm

• Trudi January 30, 2014, 9:46 am

Please email me the link to make the string crosses. What a great idea! I googled other means, but is seems like Jay’s are simple and to the point.

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:14 pm

• sue grice January 30, 2014, 9:48 am

Looking for pattern for string crosses … Thank You

• Wayne Dobbins January 30, 2014, 1:14 pm

• Norma Cutrer January 30, 2014, 9:48 am

Jay, I enjoyed your devotional on January 30, 2014. Our Emmaus Reunion Group would enjoy making your string crosses for the pilgrim week-end gifts. I could not find the instructions. Will you please e-mail them to me. Thank you so much.

• Rose Sigler January 30, 2014, 9:49 am

I would love the instructions on making the string cross!

• Susan January 30, 2014, 10:13 am

My husband does the children’s message during church. Would you please send me the instructions for Jay’s string crosses.
    God Bless,
    Susan

• Cheryl Bottum January 30, 2014, 10:25 am

I enjoyed the Daily Reading for today and would like to get the instructions for making Jay’s cross.

• Cindy January 30, 2014, 10:25 am

I’d like the instructions for Jay’s string crosses. Thank you.

• Joanne Johnston January 30, 2014, 10:29 am

Please send me instructions to make Jay’s string crosses. I am unable to find the instructions at this site

• Dorothy Hilliard January 30, 2014, 11:28 am

I read my daily reading in the upper room and would like to get the instructions for making Jay’s string crosses. Thank-You!

• Dorothy Hilliard January 30, 2014, 11:28 am

Instruction for Jay’s string cross

• Peggy Heikkinen January 30, 2014, 11:33 am

I have tried to get the directions for the string crosses to no avail. Would you please e-mail the pattern to me.

• Gloria Creps January 30, 2014, 11:36 am

Can you please send me instructions for
    string crosses as mentioned in today’s devotion on my e-mail address above.

• Marilynn January 30, 2014, 12:17 pm

Please send instructions on making string crosses. Thank you.

• Marilynn January 30, 2014, 12:18 pm

Please send instructions on making string crosses. Thank you.
    This is my first request. Marilynn

• Mary Ann Allen January 30, 2014, 4:20 pm

Would you please the instructions on how to make the string crosses. Thank You.
    Mary Ann Allen
    707 North Maple St.
    Ainsworth,Ne 69210

• Susan Beley January 31, 2014, 7:00 pm

A common theme I too would like the link for the string crosses in the Jan 30, 2014 devotional
    Thanks
    Susan

• Kelly Sand February 4, 2014, 11:57 am

Please send me the pattern at my email address, as well as one to my 91 year old mother without internet:
    Adele Daack
    8545 Shawnee Lane
    West Paducah, KY 42086

• Sandra L Barnes February 5, 2014, 3:35 pm

I was looking for instructions on making the string crosses. I will try to find it on the other web site provided, by other readers. GOD BLESS

• diane February 10, 2014, 12:58 pm

I am looking for Jay’s string crosses. to have my youth group make. I can not find it in the upper room

• Geraldine August 10, 2014, 3:46 am

hey there and thank you for your information – I have definitely picked up something new from right here.

I did however expertise several technical points using this site,
    since I experienced to reload the site many times previous to I could get it to load properly.

I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google
    and could damage your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords.

Well I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for a
    lot more of your respective fascinating content. Make sure you update
    this again very soon.

• tomorrow we move to hawaii August 23, 2014, 5:01 am

Very good site you have here but I was curious if you knew
    of any message boards that cover the same topics talked about in this article?
    I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get feed-back from other knowledgeable people that share
    the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let
    me know. Thank you!

• Reed August 23, 2014, 12:36 pm

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I in finding It really helpful & it helped me out much.
    I’m hoping to present something back and aid others such as you helped me.

• Darryl August 24, 2014, 7:59 am

Every weekend i used to pay a quick visit this web
    site, as i wish for enjoyment, as this this website conations actually pleasant funny information too.

• Lieselotte September 8, 2014, 2:02 am

I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your weblog.
    Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility problems?
    A few of my blog readers have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but
    looks great in Firefox. Do you have any suggestions to help fix this issue?

• Jennie October 7, 2014, 11:10 pm

Yes! Finally something about upright bagless vacuum cleaner reviews 2011.

• japanese use car October 8, 2014, 7:47 am

I enjoy what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and exposure!

Keep up the amazing works guys I’ve added you guys to blogroll.

• North Attleboro marketing June 6, 2015, 9:49 pm

That way they learn how to potty training your basseet hound, and iit
    was hilarious, because hhe kneww he was, I want to when the child.
    He will be allowed in. For pups, the massachusetts custom programming best for other children. You should sart applying some important potty
    training process.