A Prayer for Peace

GOD OF the heavens and the earth,
we need your peace.
Send your gentle, fierce Spirit
to all the war-torn lands
and broken relationships.
Come, God of peace.
We need you today.

– Beth A. Richardson
Child of the Light

From page 95 of Child of the Light: Walking Through Advent and Christmas by Beth A. Richardson. Copyright © 2005 by Beth A. Richardson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.

For he delivers the needy when they call, the poor and those who have no helper. He has pity on the weak and the needy, and saves the lives of the needy. From oppression and violence he redeems their life; and precious is their blood in his sight.
Psalm 72:12-14, NRSV

This Week: pray for those committed to new beginnings. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Millions of people worldwide join The Upper Room. Every day, the meditation is available in 100 countries, in 35 languages because of our donors. Please give a gift of $20, $50, or even more today.

This week we remember Simeon Stylites (January 5).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

• robert moeller January 3, 2013, 3:56 am

Yes, we need God all day every day. He makes life, love, peace, hope, grace, and mercy possible. Thank you Lord. Today’s scripture reinforces that idea.

Lots of new beginnings all around the world, Lord I pray for your help in every single one and may other new beginnings blossom from these.
    Thank you Lord for your new mercies every day, we certainly need them.
    In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen

• Jay January 3, 2013, 5:13 am

Father, thank you for being near in good times and bad. I know you are always there for me so I’m ashamed that I am the one that often pulls away from you. Strengthen me so that my first reaction is to lean on you and not worldly things. Amen

• Jill January 3, 2013, 6:12 am

Father – more peace, indeed. Continue to be with those who are putting the pieces back together in Newtown, CT. May those children sense peace and safety in their new classrooms. Empower the teachers and administrators in their “new normal”.

• Michael Ulmen January 4, 2013, 5:53 pm

Yes, Dear Lord Jesus, The world seems to be going some where in a handsbasket! Sometimes the world seems to be putting more pressure on me than I can handle! I have had Parkinson’s Disease for over 15 years, and I worked part-time for the first 9 of those years.

• robert moeller January 5, 2013, 4:47 am

Lean on Him when you’re not strong and He will carry you on.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 5, 2013, 6:54 am

Father God, in this new year, I thank you for a new beginning. Everyday is a new page of my life story. Help me God to make my life count for Christ all the days of my life.

May you heal and restore all broken relationships. Help us to live in love and peace.

• prayers for peace January 7, 2014, 1:36 pm

I think everything published made a bunch of sense.

However, think about this, what if you composed a catchier title?
    I ain’t saying your information is not solid., but what if you added a title
    that makes people want more? I mean A Prayer for Peace is kinda boring.
    You ought to look at Yahoo’s front page and watch how they create post titles to
    get viewers interested. You might add a video or a related picture or
    two to grab readers interested about everything’ve got to say.
    Just my opinion, it could bring your website a little livelier.

• mobile phones games April 11, 2014, 6:10 am

Hello, yeah this paragraph is actually pleasant and I have learned lot of things
    from it about blogging. thanks.

• smokeless cigarettes November 27, 2014, 7:11 pm

I’m gone to inform my little brother, that he should also pay a quick visit this website on regular basis to get updated from
    most recent news update.