Ready to Say, “Yes”

January 5, 2013

FIND A WAY to say yes. If you cannot give what is asked, give something. Compassion asks you to prepare new scripts for yourself, and to plan for the moment of decision. Take a few minutes to get ready for the next opportunity. What will you say the next time you’re asked for help? Be creative; have a kindhearted response ready.

- Christopher Maricle
The Jesus Priorities

From page 27 of The Jesus Priorities: 8 Essential Habits by Christopher Maricle. Copyright © 2007 by the author. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Think about how the ability to say “yes” may or may not corresponds with the attribute of compassion. Share your thoughts.

In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, asking, “Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews? For we observed his star at its rising, and have come to pay him homage.”
Matthew 2:1-2, NRSV

This Week: pray for those committed to new beginnings. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Millions of people worldwide join The Upper Room. Every day, the meditation is available in 100 countries, in 35 languages because of our donors. Please give a gift of $20, $50, or even more today.

This week we remember Simeon Stylites (January 5).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

robert moeller January 5, 2013 at 4:38 am

Lord, help me to always be compassionate even when I am not able to help with a problem myself. May the person know that I care, that I am there for them. You bless us with gifts/talents but not everyone receives the same or all of the gifts. Help us to do your will in each instance where compassion is needed. With you help is always available. Thank you Lord for your ever present sustenance. In your name I pray. Amen

New beginnings are with each and everyone of us every new day. Thank you Lord for this wonderful fact. I ask your blessing on Erich as he begins a new school year at a new school, your blessing on Anneliese as she prepares to have her knee replacement surgery, your blessing on Jenny and Chris and the upcoming arrival of their baby.
Bless each and every person, may those who do not believe in you have their best new beginning and come to believe. There is life with you Lord. Thank you. Amen.

heidi January 5, 2013 at 6:50 am

Honestly– I don’t think I agree with this approach. Pretty soon we will start to expect God to always give us “yes.” And sometimes it’s darned nigh impossible to find much “yes” at all in the answers we get from God– at least in the moment.

And sometimes, too much “yes” to others leads to nothing left in ourselves to give.

Even Jesus, many times, said “no” to hangin’ around with the Twelve and took off to be alone. In fact, most of his teaching was corrective (“You have heard thus, but I tell you thus”). Even in compassion, the answer was/ is not always yes.

Buzz January 5, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Frankly, I have to agree with Heidi on this.
For me, compassion entails a LOT of work. To be my most effective in being compassionate, I must take care of my self first. Without being at my ultimate best I am not helpful for others. So, sometimes it is to everyone’s best to say: “I can’t do this; but, I know someone who can. Do you want me to contact that person for you?” Or, I need to offer an alternative to make my “No” compassionate.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 5, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Sometimes when asked to help, we may not be able to give what is asked but we can pray for the needs of the person and encourage and/or comfort the person.

Father God, may you sanctify us and use us mightily. Make us a blessing to one another in the body if Christ.

robert moeller January 6, 2013 at 3:50 am

Thank you Heidi, Buzz, and Mary for your keep us on the path comments. Yes, often we need to correct our course even as we do what we think is right.

Prayer is one of the best ways we can help another person, situation, since we are asking God to do what is best. His will be done.

Michael Ulmen January 7, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I try to always have some coockies in my pack to give to people who are begging for money. I will not give them money because I know where it will go. I am a trained Alcohol/Drug counselor and just want to be sure that no one will go hungry.