Do Not Fear

WITH REMARKABLE FREQUENCY, the first word God speaks to individuals and groups poised at the edge of momentous decision or holy encounter is this: “Do not be afraid. Do not fear.” What is intended goes beyond an attitude adjustment on our part. What is intended are lives empowered by that decisive word, so that “do not be afraid” finds its fullest expression when we do not live afraid. Faith does not call us merely to live without fear inside the sanctuary. Discipleship calls us to confront appeals to fear in the world around us and to live our lives and bear our witness accordingly.

– John Indermark

Do Not Live Afraid

From page 11 of Do Not Live Afraid: Faith in a Fearful World by John Indermark. Copyright © 2009 by John Indermark. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Where are you not living in fear? Share your thoughts.

Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you; I will say to the north, “Give them up,” and to the south, “Do not withhold; bring my sons from far away and my daughters from the end of the earth–everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.”
Isaiah 43:5-7, NRSV

This Week: pray for those young children. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Caring volunteers are available to pray with you. Call 1-800-251-2468 or request prayer online. The Upper Room Living Prayer Center receives 500 prayer requests each day and prays for each request by name and need.

This week we remember Emily Balch (January 11).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

• Jill January 8, 2013, 3:18 am

I thank all of you for your words of encouragement yesterday, and – mores – your prayers. It was a difficult day – especially for the staff. The kids did pretty well – they are young and carefree. His players took it the hardest. Last night – the staff was out in huge support at the calling hours. Another staff member lost her mother on Sunday – so there will be yet another funeral later in the week.

Father – the family portrayed – “do not be afraid” last night, as they are so confident of where their loved one is right now – in Glory with You. Help each of us who has that assurance to rightfully demonstrate it in how we live our lives.

• robert moeller January 8, 2013, 4:29 am

You, the family of the staff member who passed away, the staff member who lost a parent, the students, and all who have recently lost someone are in my prayers. The Lord bless you and keep you.

• robert moeller January 8, 2013, 4:43 am

Yes, there are areas of my life where there is no fear. I am in God’s hands. Many of my fears are for others.

Lord, I pray for children, ones not yet born, those just born, those struggling to live in their first moments, days of life, and those who are growing toward adolescence. I pray especially for children who have lost classmates and parents. Help us to love them as you loved them and guide them on the path that leads to you. Thank you Lord for children. In your name I pray, Amen.

• heidi January 8, 2013, 4:55 am

Name them, Robert. Name your fears before the Lord and be set free. God bless your journey.

• robert moeller January 9, 2013, 4:48 am

I fear for my children who don’t believe in God. They were raised, baptized, and confirmed in the church. One took a class in college and came home and said she didn’t believe. The other lost faith after his mother passed away. I fear too for Anneliese’s children and grandchildren who have very little knowledge of Christ.

• heidi January 8, 2013, 5:00 am

I have survived one of the greatest fears of my (relatively) young life when my husband of thirty years died suddenly and without warning.

My greatest fear of being alone was realized.

And God said, “Fear not, child, for I am with you.”

It took some time and some convincing. But the fear us greatly diminished.

Someone told me that phrase , “Do not be afraid” or similar, occurs 365 times in Scripture.

Once for each day. What a “coincidence.” 😉

• robert moeller January 9, 2013, 4:52 am

My similar experience has taught me that only God really understands us. Having God in your life makes all the difference.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 8, 2013, 6:15 am

10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Jill, I prayed for you again this morning (Singapore time) and am keeping all of you in prayer tonight. May God continue to comfort and heal you all. May he strengthen you all and surround you with His love.

God’s word is a great source of comfort during this time.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 8, 2013, 6:26 am

Isaiah 41:10

I used to be fearful of the future, the unknown, when I was younger in my teens. Think now I know that my future is in God’s hands and I experience His faithfulness and love again and again so I am not fearful of the future anymore.

Another fear I had was of the dark. I used to go home everyday taking a bus route that passed by the cemetery but now I am not afraid.

I am learning to commit my fears into God’s hand and one by one, He has removed from me.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 8, 2013, 6:33 am

Thank you Father God that you have removed my fear one by one. For you have not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline ( 2 Timothy 1:7 ).

Also, memorizing bible verses and hiding them in our hearts will protect us from the lies of Satan.

• Buzz January 8, 2013, 7:52 am

Thank you for acknowledging “the lies of Satan”. Too few people in the world today believe that Satan still has actual power in our lives.

• robert moeller January 9, 2013, 4:55 am

I agree. Satan is still at work but Jesus, the Christ, has complete power over him.

• Jill January 8, 2013, 9:21 am

Mary – your words at the end of your post yesterday were meaningful to me…something to the effect of “in God’s will, there is peace”. I meditated on that this morning.

• Buzz January 8, 2013, 7:55 am

I have no fear when I am standing in the shadow of my Savior, Jesus Christ.

I understood the question to ask: “Where are you not living in fear?”

• tzipful January 8, 2013, 9:08 am

I believe that there is a healthy fear. But that kind of fear is totally led by respect. A respect that embraces Jesus kind of love.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 9, 2013, 10:19 pm

Jill, praise God that the post I wrote was meaningful to you and you meditated on it!

I agree with you tzipful that there is healthy fear which is the fear of God which fills us with a sovereign respect for God and makes us dread to offend Him. It causes us to live a life that pleases and honor Him.

• You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!|