God Is Here

January 9, 2013

PRACTICE SAYING “GOD IS HERE” the next time you are assaulted by your neighbors’ quarreling, see someone carelessly toss trash from a car, get drenched in an unexpected rainstorm, or bite into a mealy and tasteless apple.

From his own experience, Saint Francis of Assisi learned that the deeper lessons of God came when one embraced all things, even that which isn’t beautiful.

When we turn our attention to both delightful and painful ways God can get to us through our senses, we discover yet another way to pray in the midst of our daily lives.

- Jane E. Vennard with Stephen D. Bryant
Companions in Christ: The Way of Prayer Participant’s Book

From p. 77 of Companions in Christ: The Way of Prayer Participant’s Book Copyright © 2006 by Upper Room Books. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Where have you recently been surprised by God’s presence? Share your thoughts.

Ascribe to the LORD, O heavenly beings, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength. Ascribe to the LORD the glory of his name; worship the LORD in holy splendor.
Isaiah 29:1-2, NRSV

This Week: pray for those young children. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Caring volunteers are available to pray with you. Call 1-800-251-2468 or request prayer online. The Upper Room Living Prayer Center receives 500 prayer requests each day and prays for each request by name and need.

This week we remember Emily Balch (January 11).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Jill January 9, 2013 at 3:32 am

I have been surprised (and encouraged) by His presence coming to me, making me aware when I am about to say a cross word. I have been trying to be much more aware of my words…meditating on the thought that “each word should be a gift”. And by His Spirit – I have been much more aware of inward motion and trying to halt it before I verbalize it. I don’t always succeed, but even then – I am immediately aware and confess. I am “surprised” at the frequency – but I should never have doubted.

Father – as always – You are faithful. I am striving to be as well, with the help of Your Spirit.

robert moeller January 9, 2013 at 4:39 am

Lord, I pray for children everywhere, those dealing with hunger, lack of clothing and or shelter, without parents, with parents who are abusive, for children who have been lost. Children represent the future. I want them to have a life with you. Thank you Lord that we can lift them up to you. Help us also to be instruments of your love, in your name I pray, Amen.

Buzz January 9, 2013 at 9:46 am

I tried answering today’s question. I couldn’t answer it. I am continually surprised by God’s presence when I least expect it. Maybe I need to look at the question backwards. Where have I not been surprised by God’s presence? I can’t answer that question either. I am continually surprised by God’s presence.

I can answer when was the last time. It is just now as I write this post. I feel the Holy Spirit peeking over my shoulder and giving me God’s approval.

Sharona January 9, 2013 at 10:59 am

Something about today’s devotion is puzzling me. I think I might not be getting it because I’m resisting the lesson.

Michael Ulmen January 9, 2013 at 1:27 pm

One of my favorite scenes in a movie is in “OH GOD” where “GOD,” (GEORGE BURNS) is picking up trash in a park and saying “These EARTHLINGS MAKE SUCH A MESS OF MY PLANET!!”

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 9, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Praying for children who are sick, those who are orphans, those who have difficulty in learning, those who are abandoned, may God surround them with His love and meet their needs.

Father God, may we be your hands to care for the needy children.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 9, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Recently, in fact, yesterday, I was surprised by God’s presence when my boss passed me 2 gifts a student bought for me when she went overseas. Although she has left for higher education, she still remembered me and is grateful to me for teaching her.

Last week, I was also surprised to receive a Christmas gift from a student with a ‘thank you’ note that says: “Thank you for everything you have done for me. You have taught me well and I wish you a very merry Christmas!”

These two incidents inspired and encouraged me. It is like being surprised by the presence of God.