Vision-Killing Fear

January 10, 2013

FEAR KILLS a mind and soul by slowly obliterating the visions we hold for our lives. That we should not fall prey to fear is a constant theme in the scriptures. God does not want us to succumb to the chilling and killing aspects of fear; God encourages people not to be afraid of the circumstances in which they find themselves. It seems that one of God’s favorite themes is “”Do not be afraid”” or “Do not fear.” Perhaps God repeats this theme so often because we so often fear circumstances that confront us in our lives and ministries.

- Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job
A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God

Norman Shawchuck, from pages 185-186 of A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God, by Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job Copyright © 2003 by the authors. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

In prayer, name something that causes you to be afraid. Imagine life without that fear? What would it take to make your imagination reality? Share your thoughts.

The LORD sits enthroned over the flood; the LORD sits enthroned as king forever.
May the LORD give strength to his people! May the LORD bless his people with peace!
Isaiah 29:10-11, NRSV

This Week: pray for those young children. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Caring volunteers are available to pray with you. Call 1-800-251-2468 or request prayer online. The Upper Room Living Prayer Center receives 500 prayer requests each day and prays for each request by name and need.

This week we remember Emily Balch (January 11).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Jill January 10, 2013 at 3:27 am

This reading leads me to praise Him for the fears that He has taken from me. What peace.

Michael Butler January 10, 2013 at 5:09 am

My children’s future. My oldest son has now gone off to college. His leaving has brought up a fear of being able to protect and keep them safe when they are out of my grasp. I pray regularly for their safety. I wonder if I’ve prepared them well enough to face all that life will throw at them. Its an effort to release that fear and commit them into God’s loving hands.

Doreen Doney January 14, 2013 at 9:12 am

Releasing my son was so hard to do.
A friend told me that if you hold your child with an open hand, you give them courage to fly. They know you are always there for them and they know you love them. When they visit you, your visits will be much more sweet and meaningful. You have a stronger relationship with your child with wings…..they will never leave you.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 10, 2013 at 6:16 am

Sometimes when I leave for work, there is this fear of my elderly mum who enjoys cooking and may forget to switch off the gas. Food gets burnt is one thing but if the house is burnt down together with my elderly parents, it will be a nightmare. However, I have learnt to commit my elderly parents into God’s hands asking God to protect them and take full control of everything.

We had a helper for my elderly parents but it is not easy cause my mum is very capable and does not like to have a helper at home. Recently, the helper went back to her country cause her mum had a snake bite and we knew our mum prayed very hard for the helper to go home so we commit everything to God knowing that He cares and He is in control.

robert moeller January 10, 2013 at 6:25 am

I pray for children that they will “fear” – respect, honor, praise, and love the Lord.

Betsy January 10, 2013 at 6:38 am

I lift up the children that I teach. I pray that they listen to the important adults in their lives who are supporting them. I hope they seek role models who will help them to grow into mature, loving adults. I lift up one young lady, JL, who doesn’t have the role models in her home. I pray that all of those around her show her God’ s love and grace as she continues her journey. Surround her, Lord, with your love and patience.
Amen

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 11, 2013 at 8:23 am

Father God, I pray for children all over the world that they will experience the joy of salvation, the joy of trusting and obeying you, and the joy of learning.