Called to Make a Difference

January 11, 2013

AS WE THINK about loving our neighbors as ourselves, the challenge we face is not to attempt to solve all of the world’s problems. Instead, I believe we are called to make what difference we can and look to God for strength and grace. We can start by fighting the instinct that we often have to protect ourselves and our stuff from others. We can work to bless others the way that God has blessed us. …

The challenge we often face is not a willingness or desire to make a difference, but instead a paralyzing fear of failure. Often, those who sincerely want to make a difference simply don’t know where to begin. …

May you step out in faith to love your neighbor as yourself. May you do all the good that you can. Jesus’ commandment to love your neighbor as yourself is not intended to be a punishment. It is intended to help us live as God intended. … Listen prayerfully to what God is leading you to do to love your neighbor, and then do it! God wants to use you to make a difference in someone else’s life. Will you allow God to use you?

- Kevin M. Watson
Blueprint for Discipleship

From pages 72 and 75 of A Blueprint for Discipleship: Wesley’s General Rules as a Guide for Christian Living by Kevin M. Watson. Copyright © 2009 Discipleship Resources. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Discipleship Resources. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book

How will you allow God to Use you? Share your thoughts.

Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them. The two went down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit (for as yet the Spirit had not come upon any of them; they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus). Then Peter and John laid their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
Acts 8:14-17, NRSV

This Week: pray for those young children. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Caring volunteers are available to pray with you. Call 1-800-251-2468 or request prayer online. The Upper Room Living Prayer Center receives 500 prayer requests each day and prays for each request by name and need.

This week we remember Emily Balch (January 11).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

robert moeller January 11, 2013 at 3:42 am

Filled with Christ and encouraged by the Holy Spirit all Christians want to do God’s will and help bring about God’s kingdom. To each of us is given the talents God knows we need to do what God wants us to do. Each of us doing what God leads us to do makes up the body of Christ.

Lord I pray for children. I pray that soon Logan will be baptized and that
both he and Brandon will start to go to church along with their parents.
It will be a great blessing. In your name I pray, Amen.

Jill January 11, 2013 at 3:56 am

I don’t know how God will use me, but I so desire to be ready and willing when He does. I try to be aware of the small, still voice. Having a general self-awareness of being more kind and available to any individual who crosses my path. I believe that He honors each act of love, big or small.

Betsy January 11, 2013 at 6:02 am

Since receiving an email yesterday about a young person in need, I do have a way to reach out. I just have to call and DO it! Father God, take away my fear and supply me with the words to say to this mother. Then fill me with your grace that I may be led to visit this young person if it is to be. Amen

heidi January 11, 2013 at 6:08 am

When my world was rocked by God’s call to seminary, I was not happy to be leaving the classroom as a teacher.

I was promised by God that there would always be children in my life.

Lo and behold, I am finding the “doors to the classroom” opening again, with bigger “children” (of God) seeking God. And I am to lead them?

Lord, you have been faithful. Help me to be faithful.

cassandra January 11, 2013 at 7:21 am

Since it will be gods choice to use us, may we only choose to follow through with a helpful and complete decision with only warm and loving thoughts. Lord, help us to remember it is to only help gods will and a strenghthening human love or you would not be sending the need. May we be your earthly help.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 11, 2013 at 8:02 am

Father God, may you use us mightily to make a positive difference wherever you place us. Help us to be your good and faithful stewards.

Buzz January 11, 2013 at 10:43 am

I will allow God to use me however God wants to use me.
In the past when I’ve heard God say, “Do this; do that,” I’ve tried to wrestle, to argue with God. Only I lost every time. I’ve finally discovered that I keep doing the same thing, as does God, expecting different results. Only the results have never been different. So, now, I’ve given up. Why waste all that energy resisting when the God-force is irrestible?

robert moeller January 12, 2013 at 3:08 am

I pray that we are all ready and willing whenever God calls, whether we hear a small still voice or are urged by the Holy Spirit, whether it is a need to be filled that we recognize or a calling that we somehow sense.
Be encouraged to do God’s will whatever way it comes.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 12, 2013 at 10:36 am

Ha ha, Buzz… Sounds like – “you win God, I surrender all to you”.

Joan January 25, 2013 at 9:00 pm

This was a perfect reading for today. I was asked for help by someone in need today. I found myself wrestling with a mixture of emotions and questions. I’ll never know if the need was for real or how to resolve some of the things I was wrestling through, but I appreciate this reading and hope that something good comes from my response, with God’s help. Thanks for this ministry.

Joan January 25, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I wonder how I would have walked through this day if I had read this in the morning instead of the evening…hmmmm.

Joan January 26, 2013 at 9:02 am

Here is a God moment – I read this just when needed, thinking it was that days writing, but it was actually from a different day – somehow I opened up a past email and it was exactly right for that day.