Walking with Christ

January 12, 2013

FOLLOWING JESUS means that we have to keep walking on the ground, keep struggling. The work of living does not necessarily become easier because we are disciples. In fact, discipleship can make life more difficult. At the same time, life becomes radically different. Our struggles and pains become different struggles and pains. The reason for this is that we are no longer living our struggles and pains alone. Following Jesus indeed means that we live our same life, but we live it in companionship with the one who understands us fully—our guide, fellow traveler, the one in whom we can trust our whole life.

- Henri J. M. Nouwen, edited by John S. Mogabgab
A Spirituality of Homecoming

From pages 39-40 of A Spirituality of Homecoming by Henri J. M. Nouwen, edited by John S. Mogabgab. Copyright © 2012 The Henri Nouwen Legacy Trust. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

When you face difficulty, picture Christ there with you. Share your thoughts.

John answered all of them by saying, “I baptize you with water; but one who is more powerful than I is coming; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
Luke 3:16, NRSV

This Week: pray for those young children. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Caring volunteers are available to pray with you. Call 1-800-251-2468 or request prayer online. The Upper Room Living Prayer Center receives 500 prayer requests each day and prays for each request by name and need.

This week we remember Emily Balch (January 11).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Michael Ulmen January 12, 2013 at 1:43 am

My father was a FIREFIGHTER and was always trying to get me to Beat up other Kids, “Just for the pleasure of it!” I never saw much pleasure in it to begin with, especially because he was always trying to get me to fight older kids who were bigger than me. It didn’t help any that I was born with a hearing loss, and what really got us angry with each other was that he would promise to stand up for me if my fighting ever got me in trouble with the Law. Thank GOD that by that time I was convinced that he was a few bricks shy of a load! I stayed out of trouble, and one day He said that If I ever did anything evil that got me sentenced to death, he would want to be the one to Throw the Switch!! Thank GOD that I have survived to Retirement Age!

robert moeller January 12, 2013 at 2:58 am

Michael, I thank God that you have God in your life. God has certainly watched over you.

heidi January 12, 2013 at 5:29 am

Praying, Michael, that the Christ continues to reign in your heart and make his presence known to you, as he truly IS the one who will stand up for you, speak on your behalf before the throne of judgment. Praying, as well, that you find a place of peace with your past.

robert moeller January 12, 2013 at 2:55 am

Most certainly there is no one who understands me better than God. Spouse, parents, and children come closer than others but only God knows everything about me. God was there when I was formed and has been with me all my life. There were times when I didn’t acknowledge or recognize that very well, when I hadn’t accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior even though I was raised in a Christian home, but through a tough time I came closer to God and am very thankful for that.

robert moeller January 12, 2013 at 3:01 am

I pray for children as I wait for the birth of my first grandchild. Its just past the due date, all seems to be ready, just nothing has happened yet.
I pray for this child and all children about to be born that they will all grow up in the knowledge and love of you, Lord. In your name I pray, Amen

heidi January 12, 2013 at 5:31 am

Lord Gid, be wuth Robert and this child’s young mother as they wait. May you surround them, comfort them and bring peace– of heart, of mind, and in to their world. Amen

Darrell January 12, 2013 at 5:32 am

Hi Michael, quite a journey; praise God, that you learned that your true Father, Christ, is the Father you turned to for guidance.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 12, 2013 at 9:45 am

Robert, praying that your grandchild will have a smooth delivery.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 12, 2013 at 9:47 am

Michael, praise God for your powerful testimony that you choose to walk in God’s ways and live a victorious life in Christ!

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 12, 2013 at 9:50 am

Father God, thank you that when we go through storms in life, you are walking beside us constantly and did not abandon us. Thank you for being my best friend, my ever present help and guide.

Nancy January 12, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Focus on Jesus, NOT the problem! Jesus will NEVER desert
you and will see you through ALL things!

robert moeller January 13, 2013 at 3:09 am

Thank you Heidi and Mary for your encouragement. All is in readiness for Jenny and Chris.