Courage in the Face of Anxiety

January 21, 2013

WHEN THE THEME SONG of anxiety creeps into our minds, it brings with it the fear of failure, the fear of success, the fear of change, the fear of letting go, and all the many fears that tend to stop us mere human beings in our tracks. A visual image that I use when I feel tense or anxious is that of walking hand in hand with Jesus; the two of us are always walking away and up a slight incline, and I am always a little girl.

Knowing that my Lord holds me safely gives me comfort and support. With God as companion and deliverer, I find my courage to live where I am – even when where I am is not much fun. It is my God who calls me to follow, and it is through this day and with this divine companion that my path leads.

- Audrey Miskelley
Disciplines 2013

From the devotion for January 31 in the week titled “Fulfilling Our True Selves” by Audrey Miskelley, page 48 in The Upper Room Disciplines 2013: A Book of Daily Devotions. Copyright © 2012 by Upper Room Books. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Share a time when God has given you courage. Share your thoughts.

And Nehemiah, who was the governor, and Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who taught the people said to all the people, “This day is holy to the LORD your God; do not mourn or weep.” For all the people wept when they heard the words of the law.
Nehemiah 8:9, NRSV

This Week: pray for those those without adequate food and water. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

The Miracles of Jesus, The Upper Room’s 2013 online Lenten retreat! Journey from Ash Wednesday to Easter exploring the miracles of Jesus and what they say today. Join in online anytime from anywhere alone or with a group of friends.

This week we remember Agnes (January 21).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 21, 2013 at 5:57 am

Thank you Father God for being my companion and deliverer.

Thank you for courage to preach your word and courage to do your will.

We pray for those without adequate food and water. Help us to contribute positively to these people. Help us not to waste food and water. Thank you for your provisions of food and water daily which many times we take for grated.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 21, 2013 at 5:58 am

Thank you Father God for being my companion and deliverer.

Thank you for courage to preach your word and courage to do your will.

We pray for those without adequate food and water. Help us to contribute positively to these people. Help us not to waste food and water. Thank you for your provisions of food and water daily which many times we take for granted.

Jill January 21, 2013 at 6:13 am

Lately I have received that courage when the whisper of the Spirit comes through more so than the shouting of my prideful heart. I then call upon His strength to help me do His will. I am enCOURAGEd that I recognize this small, still voice above the clamoring of my brain.

Eric Everson January 21, 2013 at 11:40 am

I was staying at my fathers house, he was drinking, getting really baligerant, and convicting, bringing up all my faults and slamming them in my face. I started to read psalms, and trying to keep the Lord in my heart and mind, Then my dad started in on me about that, he accused me of shoveing religion on him, when all I was doing is silently reading the bible. Then he got really pissed off and put a knife to my throat. I could feel the blade pressing into my skin, My father saying something into my ear about being ready. I was’nt scared at all. I was prepaired to meet Jesus if my drunken dad decided to kill me. The chair I was sitting in flipped over and I jumped to my feet and wrestled the knife out of his hands.

Carol January 21, 2013 at 5:36 pm

That’s an awful thing for you Eric, but like you say God has made us ready and like what you managed to do, He equipped you to be ready “at the right time”. Courage? I believe God who is courage, has instilled in us His children, a courage that is beyond all that could ever need. We are victors and not victims – Jesus demonstrated that on His cross!

cassandra January 21, 2013 at 9:27 pm

God gave me courage recently in my roomates surgery that had to remove 1/4 of a cancerous kidney, moved from a house we owned for 6 years because of no work for him anymore, starting my 3rd semester at college for a 47 year old, and believing and being successful at every adversity as prayer would have it. Thank you Putnam City for being such a warm wonderful place and encouraging this winner forever – call upon me if help should be your need, call upon God if your miracle needs to continue Cassandra