God’s Unconditional Love

February 14, 2013

WHY IS IT so hard for us to believe that God’s love really is unconditional and that we should imitate God’s love not only for others, but also for ourselves? Perhaps we have regarded self-centered behavior too harshly. We are unwilling or unable to give ourselves the same gentle grace that God offers us and that we believe should be offered to others. Leap from doubt to belief and remember that God loves you, delights in you, and yearns for your response.

- A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God

From pages 389-90 of A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God by Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job. Copyright © 2003 by Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How do you experience God’s unprofessional love? Share your thoughts.

“The word is near you, on your lips and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); because if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”
Romans 108b-9, NRSV

This Week: pray for those who are lonely. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Need a Spiritual Retreat? Join us at SOULfeast, the Upper Room’s spiritual retreat at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center in the beautiful Smoky Mountains, July 14-18, 2013. Come discover how, as the Holy Spirit washes over us, this powerful presence brings us alive to God, community, transformation, and missions in the here and now. For more information, visit soulfeast.upperroom.org.

This week we remember Valentine (February 14).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2013, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Jill February 14, 2013 at 3:28 am

I experience His love as Grace. Such pardon, such surround-ability. If I allow it, such comfort and peace. Indeed, peace like a river – but I must submit. He doesn’t force Himself, but when I welcome Him – what an overwhelming experience.

robert moeller February 14, 2013 at 4:14 am

Unprofessional love? God is love.

Yes, Lord I want all who are lonely to know you, believe in you, trust you, for when love abides in us you are there and with you we can never be lonely. Thank you Lord for your ever presence.

patch February 14, 2013 at 5:43 am

Jesus loves me…this I know…for the Bible tells me so. I am sure the writer meant unconditional love vs. unprofessional love — but it got my attention! Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful reminder about eternal love to share with others on Valentines Day.

Ludav February 14, 2013 at 8:09 am

What is unprofessional love?
I like Robert’s comment – “God is love.” There really isn’t anything else to say.

Sue February 14, 2013 at 8:53 am

Wasn’t sure where to put this comment. I love the commentary. Just wanted to note that cite for the quoted scripture is wrong. It appears to be a quote from a book in the New Testament and not from Psalms.

heidi February 14, 2013 at 10:20 am

(It is from Romans 10:8b-9. There is a missing colon.)

heidi February 14, 2013 at 10:18 am

I, too, was surprised by “unprofessional love,” but I like it.

God does not care about decorum, waiting until we are clean and smelling good before God loves us.

God will love us, full on, with amazing public displays of affection, if we allow.

God does not care who knows how much God loves us.

Mighty unprofessional of God– but hey. I kinda like that. A whole lot ;)

Happy Valentine’s Day!

terry February 14, 2013 at 9:34 pm

“unprofessional love.” i like it, too. in some professions you can only approach the top leader through a chain of command. but God Our Father is the ultimate boss with the come-as-you-are open door policy. what a truly wonderful blessing!