Loving Our Neighbors

March 11, 2013

THE PARABLE OF THE GOOD SAMARITAN is one of the most well-known stories in the Bible and one most of us have heard many times, either in Sunday school or from the pulpit. And thanks to the marvels of YouTube, you can watch scores and scores of different visual interpretations of this parable. While many of these versions are fabulous and thought-provoking, most of them present the Levite and the priest to be the villains of the tale. . . .

Our daily lives are filled with responsibilities. We have jobs, tasks to accomplish, grocery shopping to do, laundry to fold, meals to cook, not to mention family members to look after and love. People depend on us.

On our way to pick up our children from school, would we stop and fish a guy out of the ditch? On our way to catch an airplane for an important meeting out of town, would we stop and tend to an accident victim while dressed in our best suit? Would you risk losing your paycheck by taking time off to swing by a motel and offer to pay for a stranger’s care? It’s worth considering.

O God, give us the heart, soul, strength, and mind to go and love our neighbors. Amen.

- Disciplines 2010

The Upper Room Disciplines 2010: A Book of Daily Devotions. Copyright © 2010 by Upper Room Books. All rights reserved. Used by permission.”http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book. Or join the conversation at http://books.upperroom.org/blog/

Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.

I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.

Isaiah 43:19, NRSV

This Week: pray those searching for God. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Need a Spiritual Retreat? Join us at SOULfeast, the Upper Room’s spiritual retreat at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center in the beautiful Smoky Mountains, July 14-18, 2013. Come discover how, as the Holy Spirit washes over us, this powerful presence brings us alive to God, community, transformation, and missions in the here and now. For more information, visit soulfeast.upperroom.org.

This week we remember ick of Ireland (March 17).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2013, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Makelesi March 11, 2013 at 12:38 am

Great reflections and encouraging messages for all to read:)

robert moeller March 11, 2013 at 3:35 am

I am struggling with reaching out to members of my deceased wife’s family. There is a chasm to cross, thankfully not an enormous one, but still a bridge is needed.

I’m very thankful that there are people searching for God, that’s a positive step, one that I encourage and support. Jesus said, “Look, and you will find, knock, and it will be opened to you.” I pray for God’s perfect wisdom to come to them to help them find God. God will rejoice when they find the Trinity. There’s more rejoicing in heaven over one lost sheep who finds his way than over 99 righteous ones.

Jill March 11, 2013 at 3:46 am

The final paragraph – very thought provoking and revealing. Father – keep us aware of situations that You present – even though an inconvenience for us – they are opportunities to shine Your light.

Sally Friedli March 11, 2013 at 9:16 am

My son, Ben, who passed away July 4, 2011, loved to do good deeds for people. He was tall, so getting an item off the top of the shelf in the grocery store for someone was a common good deed. Helping someone with a grocery cart was another. Rescuing a lost kitten and finding a temporary home for him, uprighting orange cones (that someone had run over) in the post office parking lot was another, holding a door open for someone, saying ‘hello, how are you’ to a store employee, and helping a customer at his workplace after he’d clocked out was just another example of his good deeds! Lately I have forgotten our good deed policy, but on Saturday I had the opportunity for a good deed while at the gym. I think I will add the good deed policy to my Lenten practice from now until Easter….and hopefully remember to do a good deed every day after that.

Connie March 11, 2013 at 10:38 am

Your son, Ben, sounds like a wonderful guy. Every time a “Ben” helps me in some way it makes my day.

linda crouch March 11, 2013 at 8:51 pm

you must really miss him!!!

robert moeller March 12, 2013 at 5:03 am

Thank you for sharing about Ben, a wonderful son who I think probably learned this from you.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling March 11, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Father God, grant us the compassion of Christ and help us to be a good neighbor. Enable us to be full of good deeds so that our lives will count for You each day. In our lives, may you be glorified.