A Time to Give Up

March 15, 2013

ALL OF LENT is a lesson in giving up pieces of ourselves. … The closer we wish to come to God, the more of our carefully constructed selves we must relinquish. We have to give up our illusions, our defenses, any selfish personal goals, our carefully designed sense of who we are supposed to be and what we are supposed to do. This sounds terrible, and it can be painful. However, as we give up these areas, we open ourselves, and God enters more fully.

- Sarah Parsons
A Clearing Season: Reflections for Lent

From pages 84-85 of A Clearing Season: Reflections for Lent by Sarah Parsons. Copyright © 2005 by Sarah Parsons. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Have you been lead to give something up of yourself to make more room for God this Lenten season? Share your thoughts.

Yet whatever gains I had, these I have come to regard as loss because of Christ.

Philippians 3:7, NRSV

This Week: pray those searching for God. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Need a Spiritual Retreat? Join us at SOULfeast, the Upper Room’s spiritual retreat at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center in the beautiful Smoky Mountains, July 14-18, 2013. Come discover how, as the Holy Spirit washes over us, this powerful presence brings us alive to God, community, transformation, and missions in the here and now. For more information, visit soulfeast.upperroom.org.

This week we remember Patrick of Ireland (March 17).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2013, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

robert moeller March 15, 2013 at 6:13 am

I’ve tried to do something for Lent to bring me closer to God, have done the reading but missed one class. The class and the reading have taken me to the places where Jesus was baptized and ministered and will end with his resurrection. Lent has gone by rather quickly, Palm Sunday will soon be here. Then the toughest week for believers with Jesus crucifixion. Then comes glorious Easter the best day of the year, the day when sin and death are overcome and we are saved, redeemed.

Lord I pray for those too busy to pray and for those searching for You.
Turn those too busy around and help them join those searching for You. May the search end with You. In Your name I pray, Amen.

Karen Pawlowski March 15, 2013 at 6:19 am

Dear Upper Room,
I am writing to request prayer for myself at a very difficult time in my life. I am seeking answers, confidence and sufficient faith to move beyond a failed marriage and a very unhappy job situation. I pray to reclaim my happiness and optimism and find a job/career in which I can use my talents and creativity. I have worked in the Finance field for a very long time and have begun suffering burnout , as this is simply not my passion, but it seems I lack the courage to go in a new direction. I moved,across the country years ago to marry and wonder if I should move back to my family in the Midwest. Thank you for your prayers and God bless! Faithfully, Karen

Betsy March 15, 2013 at 7:18 am

I lift up a prayer for you, Karen, as you face these decisions. You have God as your guide, and He will will not fail you! Searching for somehting different is a step out in faith. Allow God to lead you where your heart is. I wish you blessings in where ever you decide to be.

Sally Friedli March 15, 2013 at 8:41 am

My prayers are with you, Karen. Making changes is not easy but it sounds like the Lord has already started to guide you and is starting to give you courage to making a better life of happiness and a new career. Dear Lord, please carry Karen in your arms and help her as she make these changes in her life. Keep her safe and guide her down the path to a better life of happiness and a job she will love. Amen.

Jay March 15, 2013 at 10:19 am

Karen,
I’ve been in a similar spot in the past so I can appreciate what you’re going through. I was frustrated, scared and felt lost for a long time. I prayed many times for God to lead me to the right path and it felt like a long time before He answered my prayer.

Father,
Please help Karen feel your presence and guide her on a path that will allow your will to be done. Amen

Sonia August 12, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.

The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish.
nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you
wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot
often inside case you shield this increase.

http://www.educology.com.au/ September 9, 2014 at 2:10 am

Hi there, after reading this amazing piece of writing
i am too cheerful to share my know-how here with colleagues.