Pocket Prayers

March 17, 2013

CARING FOR A LOVED ONE who lives far away can be frustrating and stressful for both the family members and the older adult. However, there are things that will help encourage a senior even when miles separate you.

Pocket prayers. Create a set of pocket-sized cards with brief prayers written by family members or friends. A grandchild might write the following:

Dear God, help my Gramps know how much I love and miss him. Let him feel my hug even though we are miles away. In Christ’s name I pray. Amen.

Invite young family members to decorate the blank side of each card, then laminate the cards to keep them from becoming worn. Just knowing that family members are praying for him will bost an older loved one’s mood.

- Missy Buchanan
Joy Boosters

From pages 25-26 of Joy Boosters: 120 Ways to Encourage Older Adults by Missy Buchanan. Copyright © 2012 by Missy Buchanan. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray for caregivers and elderly family members. Share your thoughts.

Jesus said, “Leave her alone. She bought it so that she might keep it for the day of my burial. You always have the poor with you, but you do not always have me.”

John 12:7-8, NRSV

This Week: pray those searching for God. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Need a Spiritual Retreat? Join us at SOULfeast, the Upper Room’s spiritual retreat at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center in the beautiful Smoky Mountains, July 14-18, 2013. Come discover how, as the Holy Spirit washes over us, this powerful presence brings us alive to God, community, transformation, and missions in the here and now. For more information, visit soulfeast.upperroom.org.

This week we remember Patrick of Ireland (March 17).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2013, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Jill March 17, 2013 at 4:58 am

Father – I am so grateful to you for the health of my parents. As they see their friends’ health fail and pass on – continue to encourage them. Prepare my sister and I for when we will be called upon to caregive. May our hearts and minds be ready – ready to rely upon Your strength.

robert moeller March 17, 2013 at 5:20 am

My Mom is 94 and while she has some dementia, she can and does quite well for her age. She lives in the present, the right now, and does
well with it. Thankfully my sister and I share care giving and that makes things go well for everyone.

I pray for all elderly people, sick or well, happy or having a tough time. Thankfully my parents brought us up with that attitude from the time we were very young and spent time helping Mrs. Lyon who lived around the block or way behind our house depending on which way you went to get there.

Lord, my heart is with those who are too busy to pray and with those searching for YOU. My the Holy Spirit touch them and comfort them, guide them and teach them and may both groups find and come closer to You, in Your name I pray. Amen.

Connie March 17, 2013 at 6:51 am

“Buzz”, Thank you for your contribution to the UR magazine and blog (and the prayer line). It felt like meeting a friend from this site. Your story was very interesting and uplifting. My daughter has had many health problems and the story of Jesus calling out to the child has always touched my heart. I think Jesus said “Tabitha, cumi”.
Bless your family and little dog. Connie (Illinois)

Connie March 17, 2013 at 9:47 am

Post Script: or “Talitha cumi”

carol March 17, 2013 at 8:34 am

This reflection is close to my heart. Living thousands of miles away from my parents over the years has been a struggle as I’ve persevered, no matter what, to follow Jesus and my course where I am. It’s still difficult now with mum now gone to be with the Lord and dad, now at 93 without his closest friend and needing company and support. There are two things though that I think are important. I phone dad every day. Not a long call but a connection call. Also, I think it’s powerful that when we write or send a card, we tell them what we are specifically praying for them to God. I believe this brings great comfort and expectancy. We all know what it’s like to feel alone and when we are believing we are close to our end because we are aware of more infirmities, that loneliness can feel like being abandoned! When we can do little, we must trust them into the caring hands of our Lord. He cares far more than even ourselves.

Connie March 17, 2013 at 9:04 am

My husband and I are only children and were caregivers for his parents and my Mother for many years. All three lived close by, so I can imagine how hard it is for Carol to live so far away, but the important thing is that her Dad knows he is very much loved by her and by God.
Dear Lord, I pray for strength and hope for all the caregivers and their family members. Amen