Healing Laughter

April 10, 2013

WHEN I LOST MY HAIR, my grandchildren called me a bald eagle. Here I am with no hair, no breasts, and wear a sleep mask at night. Now aren’t I sexy and classy? With my brain surgery, the scar resembled the letter “S” so I told people that i had my initial tattooed in my head. One Sunday in church our pastor didn’t recognize me with my wig on, so I said, “Jim, it’s me,” and popped the wig off. He said he deserved that and that nothing I did surprised him.
—Shelva Mounts

Shelva used humor to cope with her symptoms. In the face of sickness, laughter can sometimes be just the medicine needed.

Lifeline No. 11
Find what is light and funny in you and record your laughter to hear again and again and again and again.

- Judy Gattis Smith
Fear Not: Learning From Your Cancer

From page 66 of Fear Not: Learning from Your Cancer by Judy Gattis Smith. Copyright © 2008 Discipleship Resources. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Do you know someone who is suffering from a chronic disease? Pray for him or her. Share your thoughts.

You have turned my mourning into dancing; you have taken off my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, so that my soul may praise you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to you forever.

Psalm 30:11-12, NRSV

This Week: pray those who have no home. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Need a Spiritual Retreat? Join us at SOULfeast, the Upper Room’s spiritual retreat at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center in the beautiful Smoky Mountains, July 14-18, 2013. Come discover how, as the Holy Spirit washes over us, this powerful presence brings us alive to God, community, transformation, and missions in the here and now. For more information, visit soulfeast.upperroom.org.

This week we remember
Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
(April 9).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2013, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

robert moeller April 10, 2013 at 3:49 am

Very thankful Anneliese made it through knee replacement surgery very well yesterday. The road to recovery begins. Thank you Lord.

Lord, those with chronic diseases like osteoarthritis are in my prayers. Many people endure the pain of these diseases with smiles on their faces. Its absolutely amazing. I pray too for the homeless. Lord, we are all blessed to have you to whom we can turn at any time no matter what our situation is. Thank you, in your name I pray, Amen.

Betsy April 10, 2013 at 6:14 am

Robert, I also suffer from osteoarthritis, and thank you for your prayers. My mother, who also had OA, underwent knee surgery and was relieved of much of her pain and got back much of lost mobility.

As Spring comes, also the rains and humid weather, so those with this condition do suffer much. (We are facing t’storms today) God is the Great Physisican and heals all those in mind and spirit. Thank you, Lord, for the wisdom and skill of those doctors who carry out your work.

Gary April 10, 2013 at 8:02 am

Robert,
I praise God with you for Anneliese’s successful surgery. God is good. My wife Linda has had 3 knee replacements done and a hip replacement. That’s right, one of her knee replacements broke after 6 months use & had to be replaced. But, that was almost 10 years ago.

Jay April 10, 2013 at 6:22 am

Father, I pray for those with chronic disease will look to you for comfort. Also that the friends and family of the sick will know your grace and use this difficult time to grow stronger in thier relationship with You. Amen

Carol B. April 10, 2013 at 7:53 am

AMEN to all that has been said above!

Sally Friedli April 10, 2013 at 9:23 am

This story reminds me of my mother who had brain cancer. She wore a “Dorothy Hamill” wig when she lost her hair and she looked so cute. People would comment on how nice her hair looked…and she would not tell them it was a wig! She stopped wearing the wig once her hair had grown back to about an inch in length. She thought we’d be embarrassed to take her out, but we told her absolutely we were not ashamed–she was beautiful with or without the wig. She died in 1977 after a hard-fought fight with cancer.

I pray for Ed Thorpe, a man from my church, who was just diagnosed with cancer (widespread in lower extremities) yesterday. Please pray for him, wife Martha, and daughter, Anne and her husband and two children. Thank you.

robert moeller April 11, 2013 at 4:25 am

I am humbled by your posts and very thankful that you are encouraged just as I have been encouraged many times coming to this website. When two or more are gathered in Jesus name, Jesus is there too!