Prayer for Tranquillity

May 1, 2013

LORD, WE PRAY
not for tranquillity
nor that our tribulations may cease
We pray
for thy Spirit
and thy love
that thou grant us
strength and grace
to overcome adversity
through Jesus Christ.
Amen.
–Girolamo Savanarola, Italy, 15th century

-Weavings, Feb/March/April 2013

From page 48 of Weavings: A Journal of the Christian Spiritual Life, February/March/April 2013. Copyright © 2012 by The Upper Room. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.

May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face to shine upon us, Selah, that your way may be known upon earth, your saving power among all nations.
Psalm 67:1-7, NRSV

This Week: pray those diagnosed with cancer. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Need a Spiritual Retreat? Join us at SOULfeast, the Upper Room’s spiritual retreat at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center in the beautiful Smoky Mountains, July 14-18, 2013. Come discover how, as the Holy Spirit washes over us, this powerful presence brings us alive to God, community, transformation, and missions in the here and now. For more information, visit soulfeast.upperroom.org.

This week we remember:
James the Less.
(May 3).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2013, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Jill May 1, 2013 at 3:33 am

I try to keep this general thought in mind when difficult times come for me or the ones I love. That through these very specific circumstances – I or my loved one will sense His presence and lean into Him…and pray “Thy will be done”. Too often, I would want t a quick fix…a removal of the difficulty. Yet He uses circumstances and events to mold us, to shape us, to draw us near to Him. Indeed – His ways are not my ways, and that is a very good thing.

robert moeller May 1, 2013 at 6:20 am

Jesus is our help in every situation. He didn’t promise a life without problems but a way to deal with them. This is especially true for those with life threatening illnesses like cancer. Lord thank You for Your ever
present help. There is none like You. In Your name I pray. Amen.

Jay May 1, 2013 at 7:54 am

I like that this prayer is from the 15th century. It helps me remember that adversity (big and small) are a normal part of life today and all the way back to the beginning of time. The answer also hasn’t changed. Strength and grace have always and will always come from Jesus Christ!

carol May 1, 2013 at 8:55 am

I’ve had a whole lot of adversity and know, that when we follow Him with trust and faith, He truly gives us sufficient for our journey.
I would also say – though I wouldn’t want to go through these years again, I wouldn’t have wanted to miss the adversity, because He used it all to change me, make me whole and more established and bring forth His fruit (the fruit that I will take with me)! Hang in there people. Though He might tarry……..wait!

Gary May 1, 2013 at 2:44 pm

When I face trials and tribulations my mind gets very confused and quickly blanks out. So, I pray for clarity and the presence of the Holy Spirit to see me through the difficulty.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling May 1, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Thank you God for strength and grace to overcome adversity.