Prayer for a Broken Relationship

May 2, 2013

When a Relationship Breaks Down

I’ve tried everything, Lord Jesus.
I’ve tried reaching out. I’ve tried drawing back.
I’ve tried talking. I’ve tried silence.
I’ve cried, pleaded, yelled, and whispered.
I’ve prayed.
I can’t think of anything else to do.

So I give this relationship to you. I ask for nothing—no special favors, no divine interventions, no sudden revelations. I simply place the relationship in your hands.

And in giving it to you, I feel great relief. It is done. I have finally given up and accepted this ending. I know that from this moment on, my life will be different, and I accept this beginning as well.

Give me the strength to let all else go. Keep me from returning to my strivings to maintain this relationship. Remind me that I have given it to you.

Lead me to the higher ground, dear Jesus, where I can leave behind any bitterness, accusations, anger, sorrow, and pain. Fill me instead with your peace and the knowledge that you are with me.

Be in this space between the ending and the beginning. It is a scary place for me as I begin to work through my life without this relationship in it. Be between what was—the memories, the dreams, and the hopes—and what is to come.

Draw me closer to you in this time between the ending and the beginning. Let me see the place ahead not as a place to be feared but as a place you have prepared for me.

- Patricia Wilson
Quiet Spaces

From pages 212–214 of Quiet Spaces: Prayer Interludes for Women by Patricia Wilson. Copyright © 2002 by Patricia Wilson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Do you know of a friend who would appreciate this prayer? Send it to him or her. Share your thoughts.

May God continue to bless us; let all the ends of the earth revere him.
Psalm 67:7, NRSV

This Week: pray those diagnosed with cancer. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Need a Spiritual Retreat? Join us at SOULfeast, the Upper Room’s spiritual retreat at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center in the beautiful Smoky Mountains, July 14-18, 2013. Come discover how, as the Holy Spirit washes over us, this powerful presence brings us alive to God, community, transformation, and missions in the here and now. For more information, visit soulfeast.upperroom.org.

This week we remember:
James the Less.
(May 3).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2013, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

Wendy LeBolt May 2, 2013 at 7:36 am

I do have a friend I can send this to, except the relationship in “question” is with her young daughter. Let us not pre-suppose that relationships we give over to God are ended forever. Giving them, guarantees a new start, which may look like ending or may look like beginning again – in a new way with a bit looser hold.

robert moeller May 2, 2013 at 9:17 am

I suspect we all know someone, including ourselves, for whom this generally applies. In my case some former in-laws who in the sensitive days after the passing of their niece, my wife, said some words that hurt a lot. Listening to scripture that says we should not let family ties be lost I have thought about trying to reconnect only to hear new words that irked me again. I can’t change who they are, only God can do that. Still I think it might be worth a try on my part. Through my daughter there have been reconnects with others so maybe there will be some improvement. I’ve prayed for this. I don’t want to be upset about it.

Lord, Your will be done with cancer patients and all who are dealing in whatever way with this or any other terrible disease. When Your will is done, everything will be right. As humans we desire physical healing, restoration to health, but what is seen is not more important than what is not seen. Love, joy, peace, harmony, faith, and hope reign over the physical. Long ago Jesus was physically with us and now Jesus reigns in the hearts of believers. Lord, I pray Your will be done. In Your name I pray, Amen.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling May 16, 2013 at 7:28 am

Father God, I pray for those who are struggling with broken relationships. May you restore and heal their relationships. Help them to forgive and be reconciled.

Rosemary Rosales June 26, 2013 at 9:32 am

This is exactly what am going thur after a 3 yrs relationship. Thx you for that prayer.

Sabrina D'almeida November 29, 2013 at 9:09 am

Hi. I too am going thru it. It hurts so much

Yari August 7, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I just finish getting dumped after 6 years it’s only been a week..I am hurting but felt a little better after reading this..it hit home for me, because I found myself begging and pleading him..I wrote hundred emails and got ignored, I was ashamed by my actions and rejection, so it was comforting to read this. I need to focus on letting go, healing and knowing that God close that door for a reason..

tarsha August 27, 2013 at 6:15 am

please pray for tasha and Anthony. please pray that Anthony will be convicted of his sins. please pray that he will become saved sanctified Holy Ghost filled. pray that he will do right by me and his family. pray that we will go to church together and worship God together. please pray that every circumstance and every road block that’s an our way will be destroyed in the name of Jesus…. please pray that Anthony’s heart will be changed towards me tarsha.. pray that he has the desire to spend more time with us his family. it’s my desire for us to become a solid loving family. Anthony is a musician in the church and goes to church several times a week. please let him feel convicted when he’s playing God music to do right by me and his family and let him do the right thing by me. pray thst he comes home and won’t stay away from home another night. I also pray that he would talk to me more. that he will be more sharing &caring. please pray that he will become loving like you once was. please pray that our relationship will become solid and strong. pray that he will not step outside of our union with another woman ever again. pray that you will remain faithful unto me and me only. in Jesus name I pray amen

marcus September 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Hi, Tarsha my name is Marcus and i will pray for and Anthony because im in the same situation so please pray for Marcus and Demetrice, The key is to not put energy into him don’t give him any attention when he call always pray and stay busy don’t call him and when he call always make an excuse to get off the phone he will come around

Minette Wood September 17, 2013 at 4:09 am

Dear Prayer Partner,
I need prayer for my son Aundray he was having a affair with a girl called tracy for 5 years and now he has left her. If it is God’s will I would like to see this relationship back again. If this is a free prayer request please pray for him.

Yours in Christ
Minette Wood

Kevin September 22, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Please pray for my relationship of two and a half that is broken and in desperate need of repair. Please pray that God will reunite us. I’m so sad, lonely, and broken hearted. I do not accept that I have to give up and just hand it over as done. The only thing I know how to do at this point is pray fervently for reconciliation. We spoke last night and had a good conversation, but no resolution. Today I’m alone and hurting. Thank you for your prayers.

Evelyn C September 26, 2013 at 7:01 am

Pray for this relationship that has been going to unstable periods afflicted with familial pain and suffering..that we remain focused on our love and that this man forgive himself to be able to lead a life of love and tranquility with me. Amen

Chermaine September 28, 2013 at 9:35 am

Please pray for me and my ex boyfriend, Daryl. We had recently broken up and it was a sudden break up too, no one had expected it to happen. He feels that he is too stressed from his work and can’t be committed in a relationship right now. Please pray that he will see that love can only bring you to greater heights, and not bring you down. We never had a huge fight, ever, and I try to be an understanding girlfriend. Somehow, his stress got the better of him and he decides to break up saying that “he has lost all feelings for me”. I don’t believe that he can lose his feelings so suddenly, he’s just blinded by the stress.
I do love him, and I believe that he’s the One for me. We met on my birthday, and I believe that God brought him into my life for a reason. I believe that God will be able to heal my broken relationship with him, and bring him back to me. I have faith and trust in Him, as He is able to do miraculous things.

Thank you for your prayers.

nicole October 7, 2013 at 3:00 am

Pray for this relationship that seems to be very unstable and painful I ask you lord that you may be the leader and let us realise what brought us together in the first place..Amen

Rupanzil October 10, 2013 at 2:10 am

Please pray for this relationship, i have been in since a year its been a long distant relationship , we shared a beautiful courtship though, knowing this guy he was the one who would never give up on this, but its a sudden drastic change and things have gone astray , i really want this relationship to work with god being the center of both our lives i want him to restore this relationship in the best possible way , we are not in talking terms at all, its been a month and i am completely, he is in town and he hasn’t even informed me , he doesn’t want to be in a long distant relationship, and i am ready to adjust to everything to make this relationship work , i have been praying and praying continuously as i seriously do not want any other person in my life other than him .. Please please please do pray that things may get better and somehow this relationship falls in place perfectly and we may start to talk and get back together for good

Simangele Mbhele December 11, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Hi There

May you please pray for me & my fiance Khulekani, we have been together for seven years & we were planning to get married but he has changed a lot I feel like our love is fading away he’s no longer loving the way he used to be. All I’m praying for is for things to get back the way it was in Jesus name.

angle January 8, 2014 at 11:13 am

Ive been goin through for 13 years the relationship never work, been praying nothing never change, it takes me 13 years to realize that i cannot change anybody, and i need to be with a man who wants to be with me . Dealing with drug addiction my life been a misery for a long time, first didnt know what was wrong but through players god reveal to me my husband is a drug addict he cheated and walk away like its nothing, for 13 years dont know how its like to have a family or holiday or valentine, i beileve god will restore the 13 yrs with a man of god . pray for Leon Robinson to be saved

Olivia January 30, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Prayer partners,
I am a single mother and my daughters father and I split up shortly after she was born. I thought I would never find someone who could love my daughter and myself as their own but someone found us and made us a family. He recently left us both and now I feel like I have been rejected a second time and the same for my daughter. I need prayers for peace in my heart, trust in The Lord, peace for my daughters heart, and the ability to love again one day.

Jonathan March 16, 2014 at 9:28 pm

You know the desires of my heart, God. Please, heal the pain. I have loved Kerri for many years, and can’t give her up, or give up on her. I’m trying to put it in your hands, but you know that’s something I struggle with. Help me to do that, and please, keep me calm and at peace and restore what’s been broken. I know that’s your desire. I’m trusting you now, God. Please, show yourself. I love you, and regardless of what happens, I know you’re in control and working things out for my good. Thank you for being the awesome God you are. In your name I pray, Amen.

Terrell Lampkin March 27, 2014 at 11:59 am

I misread my friend by talking to other women on social media. Our relationship has broken. I apologise and she said she forgiven me .I need prayer to rebuild ourselves and walk with Jesus together.

Maria May 16, 2014 at 11:28 am

Pleas heavenly father and Mary our mother help me with my relationship. My ex boyfriend Edwin and I just broke up 2 week’s a go. I love him so much. He left me because he is not happy with himself. He want to get back on his feet and find a job on his own. We were talking 3 times a day until his cell phone got cut off. I speak to him when he can borrow one. Please help me figure out how to have patience and strength. I would love to be back with and that temptation doesn’t get between us. Please help me with this situation because every time we talk he reminds me that we are just friends. Thank you heavenly father to listening to my prayers.

blessing July 24, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Hi there;please pray for me and my girlfriend we be been together for 15 years; but now we fight and she asked to be alone and she needs to heal and to be strong.so if its Gods will I would love to be with her again thank you