Hunger for God

June 14, 2013

THE HUMAN IMAGINATION hungers for substance, for meaning, for God. If it encounters a world without meaning, it slowly starves for lack of anything to chew on. The “organs of meaning” must have something to eat. Feeding the God-hungry imagination is, I believe, precisely the church’s task in spiritual formation.

- Sarah Arthur
The God-Hungry Imagination

From page 50 of The God-Hungry Imagination: The Art of Storytelling for Postmodern Youth Ministry by Sarah Arthur. Copyright © 2007 by Sarah Arthur. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How are you experiencing spiritual growth? Share your thoughts.

But if, in our effort to be justified in Christ, we ourselves have been found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not!
Galatians 2:17, NRSV

This Week: pray for those whose Christian practices are different from mine. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Need a Spiritual Retreat? Join us at SOULfeast, the Upper Room’s spiritual retreat at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center in the beautiful Smoky Mountains, July 14-18, 2013. Come discover how, as the Holy Spirit washes over us, this powerful presence brings us alive to God, community, transformation, and missions in the here and now. For more information, visit soulfeast.upperroom.org.

This week we remember:
Barnabas
(June 11).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2013, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

robert moeller June 14, 2013 at 6:04 am

I think my spiritual growth is slow and gradual. It is difficult to express, I find spiritual things are often that way. Its more of a feeling.

Lord, help us be patient with those whose faith practices differ from ours. Help us be encouraged that they have faith in You, believe in You, trust in You. We are too often concerned, troubled by differences even when the core of our common belief is much the same. Thank You that all believers look to You. In Your name I pray. Amen.

Jill June 14, 2013 at 6:43 am

Over the last several months I have experienced a growth spurt. There is peace inside. Accompanied by a quiet knowing that God is calling me to a healthier perspective on relationships. Expectations are lessened and a sense of glorifying the Father is heightened. Trying to be a good dance partner – following the Spirit’s lead.

Mary Ng Shwu Ling June 14, 2013 at 6:58 am

I need to get out of my comfort zone to grow. Many times, this is not easy cause there are too many needs at home already. So, at this moment, I try my best to cope with work, caring for my parents and reflect on God’s word:)

Gary June 14, 2013 at 8:32 am

I have just this week begun walking for exercise. This activity is also re-amping my spirit.

Jim Fletcher June 14, 2013 at 9:32 am

Have been growing daily since taking a two yr course in Spiritual Training and Formation entitled “Tending The S0ul” taught by Wendy Miller and other certified Spiritual Directors of Our Conference & elsewhere . However this month, not doing so well some days, as getting ready to transition from one church to another charge about 40 miles away. Tremendous amount of emotions, good and bad about moving, going to an new appointment (excited about that) but with so much to do, record keeping, packing, deciding what to depart with (downsizing) as well as maintaining my current ministry,, sermon preparations, as well as sermon for the first Sunday in my new charge etc.; trying to make final contact with those I need to see etc. Needless to say my devotion and daily time for God has been neglected, and when not neglected-short on delivery with God amidst the confusion. (Certainly one could say “dark soul” due to environmental and situational events etc.)
So not really satisfied, but will faithfully struggle through tending the soul

Gordon June 14, 2013 at 9:34 am

It has always been my belief that love unites and doctrine divides. So much of the doctrine, OK all of it, is human based and not strictly of God. The church was not supposed to be all these fragmented denomionations but when people get involved things get confused. People interpret God’s word and want to worship with like mainded people when all that really matters is the belief in Christ the Savior and Redeemer. All else is just the trappings we surround ourselves with to make worship comfortable. In my opinion anyway.

Jay June 14, 2013 at 9:39 am

I’ve been helping a needy person in my community and it has really opened my eye and heart. We are learning much from each other on many levels. I know that God brought this into my life and I am so thankful!

Hermes Belts,Hermes Birkin Bag,Hermes Birkin,Hermes Bracelet,Hermes Bag June 15, 2013 at 8:59 am

This is the correct blog for anybody who needs to search out out about this topic. You notice a lot its nearly onerous to argue with you (not that I truly would need?aHa). You positively put a brand new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just nice!

Hermes Bags June 15, 2013 at 8:59 am

A lot of thanks for all your hard work on this blog. My mom loves engaging in investigations and it’s really easy to see why. Most of us hear all relating to the powerful means you deliver efficient tips and tricks on the website and as well as increase participation from website visitors about this idea while our child is in fact understanding a lot. Have fun with the remaining portion of the new year. Your conducting a great job.