Joy and Peace

December 5, 2013

JOY AND PEACE come into our lives then, when we mind more about God than we do about ourselves, when we realize what the things that matter really are. The Spirit clears up our problems about what we want or ought to be at, simplifies us and throw us back again and again on the deep and peaceful action of God. Then, whether God speeds us up or slows us down, accepts our notions or sets them aside, gives us what we want or takes it away, gives us a useful job of work or puts us on the shelf, that serenity that is a fruit of the Spirit, a sign of God’s secret support, does not fail us . . .

Joy’s very being is lost in the great tide of selfless delight – creation’s response to the infinite loving of God. But, of course, the point for us is that this selfless joy has got to go on at times when we ourselves are in the dark, obsessed by the sorrow of life, so that we feel no joy because we cannot gaze at the beauty. Joy is a fruit of the Spirit, not of our gratified emotions. “Come, bless the Lord, all you servants of the Lord, who stand by night in the house of the Lord! Lift up your hands to the holy place, and bless the Lord.” – Evelyn Underhill

- The Soul’s Delight

From pages 31-32 of The Soul’s Delight: Selected Writings of Evelyn Underhill, in The Upper Room Spiritual Classics series, edited by Keith Beasley-Topliffe. Copyright © 1998 by Upper Room Books. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What where the circumstances the last tine you felt at peace and joyful. Share your thoughts.

Welcome one another, therefore, just as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.
Romans 15:7, NRSV

This Week: find ways to watch eagerly for Christ. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Often we experience prayer as private, personal time with God. But prayer with others carries its own power. During the season of Advent (Dec. 1-Dec. 24) we invite you to share the daily discipline of prayer with another. Join us in The Upper Room Prayer Challenge and bring the joy of daily prayer to a friend, colleague, or family member. Register here.

This week we remember:  Sister Dorothy Kazel (December 2).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2013, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

robert moeller December 5, 2013 at 1:55 am

I last felt peaceful and joyful when Anneliese came home from knee replacement surgery. She was doing very well, we had income from tenants, and Erich was doing very well in school. Jenny had Willa and all was well there. Mom was doing better than she is now.

Lord, we celebrate with anticipation the memory of your coming long ago. While foretold by the prophets, you were a big surprise.Publicly first the shepherds came.The magi knew earlier but arrive later, then told King Herod. Then you escaped to Egypt only to return when the immediate threat of death was over. It was a very tough beginning and yet You survived in order to do the work for which God sent You.
Thank You Lord for Your coming.

robert moeller December 5, 2013 at 2:02 am

I urge all who read the Upper Room to go back to previous posts as there are many blessings in doing so. I am encouraged, educated, uplifted when I do so and hope you will be too.

Jill December 5, 2013 at 4:01 am

A sense of joy is – to me – an undercurrent of safety and satisfaction that exists apart from circumstances. It is not an emotional state, but rather a trust – that God is with me, is in control and holds my future. As I look back of the past several years – this sense continues to strengthen. I am so encouraged by this – as there was definitely an extended period of time where I did no experience this. And this is accompanied by peace…His peace.

The quietness of the morning – this is when I am most aware. I am trying to intentionally slip into moments of awareness during the day…but I am not being as successful as I had hoped to be. But I will stick with it.

klynn December 5, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Jill I can totally relate to what your saying. Isn’t life just to busy some days.
I find that if I start my day wth Him it goes so much better.
In the quitness when I’m the only one awake and its just me and Him. I open the word and he shows me things I’ve never seen before. If I put it off then everything gets craxy and before I know it I’m crawling back into bed. Tired,knowing I won’tbe able to comprehend what I’m reading.
I pray every day for God to use me, to order my steps and that my life/ time will be wisley spent. I can’t leave behnd an unfinshed task.

Betsy December 5, 2013 at 5:58 am

I felt such a sense of peace and joy when our family was all gathered last weekend for the Thanksgiving meal. We are all so blessed to have health, security, support and love from family and close friends. I often don’t take time to give thanks for those things!
There is also joy as our church famliy comes together each week to worship. With the season of Advent upon us, I anticipate how God will work in me this Holiday Season. Lord, use me in ways that honor Your name!

Connie December 5, 2013 at 8:00 am

Maranatha Oh, our Lord, come.

klynn December 5, 2013 at 11:39 pm

My mornng devotions is in Joshua right now. After reading this morning I realized just how blessed we are to live in this century. Sure there is war all around us but thank God for his grace and protection. December is such a tuff month for my family, so bittersweet. We have so much to celebrate and be thankful for but we greatly miss family members that we recently had to tell goodbye. I have great joy today even though my heart is sad because they are with Him dancing around the throne. Just picturing that makes me smile!

robert moeller December 6, 2013 at 2:42 am

God is with us. Read the messages that are here and you will be certain of it. God is with those who morn, those at peace, those with concerns, and those full of joy. In every circumstance God is with us, what a wonderful thought and reality.