Prayer for the Critically Ill

October 26, 2011

CRITICALLY ILL PEOPLE may experience receiving care as a huge relief. But most people, plunged into this world of receiving care, would say it is so difficult to let go, admit to needing help, and make the long and difficult passage into accepting to be beloved while in a weakened condition. It is only with much time and with loving care that they may be able to come to a new understanding of their blessedness and to realize that there is a gift awaiting them in times of sickness. Despite having to depend more on people who have to care for them because they are physically weak, they may experience becoming fruitful in their very weakness. For example, by gratefully receiving our care they may be revealing something to us that we didn’t know about ourselves — our own gifts of beauty, tenderness, and loving service. Therefore our compassionate caring must always include empathetic awareness of the inner suffering and unique blessedness of those to whom we offer care.

- Henri Nouwen
A Spirituality of Caregiving

From pages 39-40 of A Spirituality of Caregiving by Henri J. M. Nouwen with John S. Mogabgab, Series Editor. Copyright © 2011 The Henri Nouwen Legacy Trust. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://www.upperroom.org/bookstore/. Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray for someone who is critically ill. Share your thoughts.

Today’s Scripture Reading

O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever.
Psalm 107:1, NRSV

This Week: Pray for those who feel worthless. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

Tips for Your Spirit:

The Living Prayer Center is an important ministry of The Upper Room. Read how it has affected both it’s callers and volunteers: “I am Here to Pray for You”.

This week we remember Anne Sullivan (October 20).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2011, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Re October 26, 2011 at 5:35 am

This is an especially painful devotional for me. The one person closest to me, my wife whom I love dearly, whose compassion and empathy I have most needed, is the single person least capable of expressing them to me. Although we have spent our adult lives together in an otherwise happy marriage, and I have with God’s help been able to care for her as he has struggled mightily with various lifelong infirmities, I cannot help but face the fact that, as we both grow older and more frail, her incapacity to reach out to me with compassion and empathy will likely not change for the better. God, thank you for my good health up to this point in our lives, and please give me the strength and confidence to rely on you for the encouragement i will need as we enter this most difficult season.

J K Thompson October 26, 2011 at 7:24 am

Today, I remember and pray with Debo and her husband, Karl. May they feel the warmth of God’s love through the people who touch their lives today.

Patti October 26, 2011 at 9:58 am

This is a perfectly timed devotion — last night, my cousin Fran informed me that she has a rare and aggressive form of blood cancer called Plasma Cell Leukemia. She is just turning 57, and doesn’t want to die. Please pray that her disease can be brought into remission, so that she can enjoy more time on this earth with her devoted husband, children and extended family. We are all devastated by this news – – please pray also that we, as a family, can be there for her and give her the support that she so desperately needs.

Gail October 26, 2011 at 10:13 am

This is an entirely new idea for me. Glad I saw it.

Michael Ulmen October 26, 2011 at 12:55 pm

This is very true for me I have had Parkinson’s Disease for 14 years and the hardest thing for me to accept was that I was recieving something that I could not pay for orearn in any way!

louannye February 29, 2012 at 3:40 am

My huaband went to the emergency room for a bump on his finger and we thought he had a stomach virus took a trun for the worst he has a deadly infection. He went threw surgery to remove the infection.Now we have other issues to deal with he is critical,he has held on threw the grace of GOD.JUST PRAY FOR HIM.Pray for his family,we were to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary on the 27th of this month but he fell ill.

Paul.M.T. November 8, 2012 at 5:20 am

Praying for critically sick person is not to wish them bon-voyage ; but to really for their relief from the sickness through the Almighty’s benevolence and kindness and many cases , I know, has had both positive and encouraging effect on the patient to bravely face the disease with courage and conviction leading to his/her relief from the ailment. My humble suggestion is this is a must from all angles, particularly if the patient is x’tain.