Hope for the Future

FAITH IN THE GOSPEL affirms that we may face an uncertain future with hope — hope that God will be with us in new ways, and hope that God’s kingdom is never far away and always being birthed in our midst.

Alive Now

By Bill Treadway. From page 61 of Alive Now, January/February 2000. Copyright © 1999 by The Upper Room. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Where do you see God creating new life? Share your thoughts.

But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.
Isaiah 43:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for someone beginning a good habit. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Simeon Stylites (January 5).

• Jill January 4, 2016, 4:29 am

The reading above echoes the message from yesterday morning at church. We are a people of hope, independent of circumstances. Our pastor finished his sermon by reading to us from the end of Revelation. What great hope we have in our final destination. So, Father – continue to walk with us in our situations. When there is despair, re-birth in us the hope You desire for us. Help us to walk expectantly into 2016 – confident that You already see all that lies ahead and hold us in Your steady hand.
    Grateful for time at home yesterday, even had a bit of time for some reading. Grateful to feel refreshed as I head back to school. Grateful that my student teacher seems ready to “take the reins” – as she will begin with one class full time this week.

• Rusty January 4, 2016, 7:54 am

Jill, that is beautiful. God’s steady hand. Thanks.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 4, 2016, 6:23 am

Grateful for a good day at school.

Father God, thank you that we can place our hope and our future in your hands. Even if the future is uncertain, we know that you are in control and you will be with us. Because of this, we are confident that we will have abundant life is you. We praise you for your goodness and abiding presence!

• Betsy January 4, 2016, 6:56 am

Come, thou long expected Jesus. Come to us in this new year, strengthening our resolve to do your work here on Earth.
    Gratful for the past week to spend extended time with family and friends, worship and communion yesterday and quiet time this joint with God.

• Rusty January 4, 2016, 7:50 am

Today’s question is a good one. I see God creating new life in me. Every day. It is a two way street, though, and I must ask how I am to respond to the new life he has given me and with which he infuses me. Every day. Our Lord is so patient. He touches me over and over. In Church yesterday, our Director for Spiritual Formation asked me to be on a team of folks writing devotionals that will be given to the congregation during Lent. The Bible passage for my devotional is from John 10 — the bit about “My sheep listen to my voice . . . ” Reading that over, it struck me that being God’s sheep requires a response from us. Today’s question points me in the same direction. In this new year, with the Kingdom being birthed in our midst, how will I respond to God’s call?

Praise you and bless you, my Lord. Grateful you are making all things new . . . including me.

• Sara January 4, 2016, 8:17 am

Where do I see God creating new life? All around me and hopefully within myself. The spiritual path is always one of growth and having faith, hope and believing is one aspect of growth. Sometimes when things in life seem uncertain and we can’t see the results we look to God and trust him fully and have faith that God is in control and it will work our according to His will.

Blessings to all today as school resumes and we all get back in to a regular schedule. Thank you God for the hope we have in You – always there for us. Amen

• robert moeller January 4, 2016, 9:17 am

Thankful for new life, Oona born the day after Christmas. Thankful for a dinner with Heidi, Paul, Brandon, and Logan yesterday. Thankful I could provide some math help to Logan.

Yes, with God, the ever present, there is always hope and hope does not disappoint, it may surprise, God’s ways are not our ways, but God’s ways are best. Thank You, Lord.

Hope this is a safe day for all going back to school, snow flurries here, but thankfully the roads are bare.

Blessings to all.