Sabbath Day

WE ALL HAVE busy lives, and we forget to rest;
but the Bible reminds us that the Sabbath day is meant for rest.
Let’s take a day each week or find time each day to rest,
to listen to God,
and to pray that God will restore us body and soul
so that we may glorify God in all we do.

devozine

By McKenna Cua, in devozine, September/October 2015. Copyright © 2015 by The Upper Room. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Find time to rest today. Share your thoughts.

Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.”

Luke 3:21-22, NRSV

This Week: pray for someone beginning a good habit. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Simeon Stylites (January 5).

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 10, 2016, 1:49 am

Father God, thank you for the sabbath so that our bodies and souls can be restored and be effective in glorifying you.

• robert moeller January 10, 2016, 3:56 am

Thankful for resources to be able to help someone, that hearing help is on the way, and an appointment to start hip replacement surgery is nearing. Thankful for photos of Jenny, Willa, Oona, and Chris and that they are healthy. Church today and possibly a visit to Heidi’s. Thankful for good new habits.

Rest, sleep, naps – they are amazing. Through them we regain energy and lose being tired. As we need rest daily, we also need rest in the Lord. Whether it is a little time each day or a whole sabbath, revitalizing is necessary. Depriving ourselves from this is harmful and not God intended. Find time to rest in the Lord.

• Jill January 10, 2016, 4:39 am

There seems to be a theme these past few days here at UR. Now that the holidays have come and gone, with all the activities and gatherings – so enjoyable of course – I find that I need time to rest. To rest from noise and clatter, to rest from distractions, to rest from busy-ness. Father – today seems to be set up perfectly for this. To rest in Your House of Worship, to be fed Your Word. And then to retire home, for a nap (yes, Robert – these are the best) with my cat (gotta have our furry friends – Betsy and Rusty), and time to read and be still. I treasure the un-clutteredness of today – as this week is chock full of activities after school each evening.
    Father, quiet my heart and open my ears to receive what You have prepared for me today. Might my desires be only what comes from Your Hand.

• Rusty January 10, 2016, 7:40 am

Thank you, Lord, that hearing help is on the way for Robert. Yes, Jill — I had the same reaction about the theme going, here. Fallow time yesterday and Sabbath today. It is a helpful group of topics, especially given the Christmas and pre-Christmas anti-rest. Hope the theme continues . . .

Yes, I am grateful for the reminder to seek out rest today. This morning is the beginning of a new Bible study in Ruth that I am co-leading at church. Lots of folks have signed up (hooray!) but rest today will have to wait until after lunch. Grateful for this wonderful opportunity and the many things you are doing in my life, now, Lord — like Jill, may I desire only what comes from your hand.

• Betsy January 10, 2016, 8:04 am

Your study on Ruth sounds very interesting, Rusty. Love that story, and I’ll be praying for good things for your group!

• Rusty January 10, 2016, 4:16 pm

Thanks, Betsy! Things went very well. Appreciate your prayers. Folks seemed to like it very much. 🙂

• Betsy January 10, 2016, 8:00 am

Why don’t we feel we can take time out to rest and recharge? Our lives need to include intentional time set aside to be still and breathe. Today we woke I to our first snow! The ice layer and cold temps will keep us at home from worship; kind of a forced rest. My corporate worship will be with you today, friends. Thankful for the past few thoughtful devotions. Great way to remind of us new habits to start.

• Sara January 10, 2016, 8:34 am

Thank you Lord for the Sabbath and a day to renew us completely – mind, soul and body. Prayers for those who have a difficult time relaxing and resting.

May all who visit the UR have a restful Sabbath today.