The Futility of Worry

MATTHEW’S GOSPEL records Jesus’ teachings about the futility of worry. Jesus points to the birds of the air and the lilies of the field, which live in the moment, do no strategic planning or forecasting or saving for a rainy day, and yet they are provided for. He reminds us that each day holds its own troubles — and blessings. Worry about tomorrow gets in the way of living today to the fullest.

– Kim Barker, Linda de Meillon, Leigh Harrison
Birthed in Prayer

From pages 112-113 of Birthed in Prayer: Pregnancy as a Spiritual Journey by Kim Barker, Linda de Meillon, Leigh Harrison. Copyright © 2008 by the authors. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Name your worries in prayer today. Be present with God.Share your thoughts.

Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.”

Luke 3:21-22, NRSV

This Week: pray for parents. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Macrina the Elder (January 14).

• robert moeller January 11, 2016, 4:00 am

I will witness that God does take care of us. It has and is happening to me. Resources are on the way and help has been received. Thank You, Lord.

I pray for parents with children of all ages. Parents with children have them for as long as they are both alive just as we are God’s children. In Your name, I pray, Lord. Amen.

Thankful for news from my children, glad to know Jenny and her family are doing well. Progress is coming for Erich. Thankful for hip replacement surgery and pain relief coming soon for Anneliese. Resources are redirected to meet needs. Thankful for a wonderful day yesterday, church, fellowship, finished and submitted my railroad historical society article, watched great nature programs, had a delicious dinner. Thank You, Lord.

• robert moeller January 11, 2016, 4:10 am

Thank you Jill, Rusty, and all for your comments. Didn’t have a nap but yesterday was a slow and easy day. Had a cat in my lap for long periods of time. Very relaxing afternoon and evening after a good church service remembering Christ’s and my baptism. Two wonderful new hymns, so inspired me I brought home the hymnal.

• Jill January 11, 2016, 4:34 am

So grateful for a true Sabbath rest day yesterday. So much of the sermon spoke directly to me, just what I needed and received. Grateful to be inside yesterday, while the weather changed from warmish and raining to sideways snow. My cat and I watched it all from the couch. With the blowing snow – he paws at the window as if trying to catch snow in a snow globe. Simple delights. Grateful that time passed slowly yesterday, as I indulged in leisurely reading and watching football.
    Father – thank You for holding us in Your Hand. I will keep my eyes on you. For when they stray, I am unsteady and lacking the peace that You provide. Thank You for caring and providing for me. You are indeed, a most generous God (the topic of the sermon yesterday).

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 11, 2016, 6:16 am

Father God, we commit all our parents and all parents in the world into your hands. May you grant them a closer walk with you. May you bless them with good health and a balanced life.

Just heard from my dad that his doctor told him that his kidney is failing and may need to go for dylisis soon. Also, doctor told him he may not live Long because of this. Please pray for my dad.

• Rusty January 11, 2016, 6:49 am

Mary, prayers for your father’s healing on the way. I’d like also to offer a prayer for strength and confidence from the BCP. “Heavenly Father, giver of life and health, please comfort and relieve Mary’s father, and give your healing power to those, including Mary, who minister to his needs, that he and they may be strengthened and have confidence in your loving care; through Jesus Christ our Lord.”

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 11, 2016, 7:43 am

Thank you so much Rusty!

• Andrea January 11, 2016, 11:39 am

The passage about the lilies of the field is one of my favorites. There are times when I find it hard to dispel worry and anxiety, and then it helps to keep coming back to the scriptures that reassure us that we and our loved ones are in God’s hands. I pray for all in the UR community, for your prayer concerns. I pray for all parents, that they will be guided and supported, beacons of strength and wisdom for their children. I give thanks for the beautiful sun on this very cold day, for the warmth of home and loved ones. Wishing all a blessed Monday.

• Howard January 11, 2016, 11:44 am

Our pastor’s sermon yesterday was on the subject from today’s reflection. His points were on living one day at a time because, today is all we have, it is all we can handle, and it is all we need. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Lifting up Mary and her dad, Father they need your help, in Jesus’ name, amen.

Praying always, have a blessed day children of God.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 11, 2016, 10:51 pm

Thank you so much Howard!

• Ms Clarissa Murray January 11, 2016, 6:35 pm

I ask that y’all will prayer for my son marriage n bring him back home to he family n wife n kids,n continue to pray for my two daughter n family they will come back to the Lord n raise them children up with the Lord,and prayer for me and my husband financial needs n God will continue to bless our marriage and keep us strong in a Christian life and stay connected with his word,Amen Amen