God-Shaping Qualities

HUMILITY, HOSPITALITY, and loving-kindness; simplicity and deliberation — all are God-shaped qualities of life. To have all the mind that was in Christ, however, means that these qualities flow from Christ’s holiness and righteousness in us through loving actions toward others.

– Paul Wesley Chilcote
A Life-Shaping Prayer

From page 132 of A Life-Shaping Prayer: 52 Meditations in the Wesleyan Spirit by Paul Wesley Chilcote. Copyright © 2008 by Paul Wesley Chilcote. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Where do you see Christ’s holiness at work in your life? Share your thoughts.

Jesus said to them, “Fill the jars with water.” And they filled them up to the brim.

John 2:7, NRSV

This Week: pray for parents. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Macrina the Elder (January 14).

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 17, 2016, 2:02 am

Grant us, O God, the mind of Christ.

I see Christ’s holiness at work in my life through my parents’ role model. They are always kind and forgiving, always loving us unconditionally.

• robert moeller January 17, 2016, 6:43 am

I have being because of Christ, once I accepted Christ as Lord and Savior, I have the Holy Spirit, and am enabled by Christ to do God’s will. I have faith that this is true. Thank You, Lord. All good things come from You.

Thank You, Lord for parents. So often they are our earthly example of God.
    Mary, you make us well aware, thank you.

Thankful for a quiet day yesterday, some small tasks around the house done, watched some football, researched railroad equipment, and had a good night’s rest. Church today, recharge my spirit and fellowship with friends.

Blessings to all in Jesus’ name. Amen.

• Rusty January 17, 2016, 6:57 am

God revealed to me a while ago a wonderful prayer in the Roman Catholic tradition. It is called the Litany of Humility (easily found with a search on any internet search engine). I see Christ’s holiness at work in my life through that prayer. Amazing how almost any annoyance, fear, impatience or even anxiety can be diffused and dissipated for me when I return to that prayer and find myself saying, “Oh, now I see what has happened.” Grateful to God for his gentle reminders.

• Sara January 17, 2016, 7:20 am

I searched the Litany of Humility – what a challenge. I read it several times and each time I read it I found myself relaxing and letting go. I will return to the Litany of Humility. Thank you Rusty.

Prayers for our granddaughter returning to college today and may all have a blessed day.

• Joan January 17, 2016, 8:34 am

Reading the word “hospitality” I realized I’m sitting in the direct bright sunlight as it rises just over the horizon. It feels like I’m sitting in God’s warmth and hospitality and love toward me. A beautiful image I hope to hold today. It’s a super cold day where I am and the sunshine is an exraordinary gift, as is this reading.

• Carol January 17, 2016, 3:47 pm

Thank you, Sara and Rusty and others for your prayers. I have been walking beside my uncle since 2002, after a major stroke affecting the entire left side. Until a few months ago, he was able to walk, even live independently for a number of years. He is 93, a godly man and was a POW in WWII. It is an honor caring for him. I have been exceedingly blessed throughout these years. He is quite comfortable and desires to sleep much of the time. He could very easily pass away in his sleep. He is just worn out.

In my conversation with his doctor on Friday morning, he suggested I consider Hospice to aid at this time. Immediately, I felt a sense of relief that Hospice would walk beside both of us. The social worker, a man, who will be closest to my uncle is a christian and honored to be in this role. I told him that I did not think that God would place a non-Christian to walk with my uncle through this sacred part of his life.

• Rusty January 17, 2016, 8:52 pm

Carol, he sounds like a wonderful man. What a blessing for you to have known him. Thank you for the portrait.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 18, 2016, 5:59 am

Carol, prayers for your Uncle and you. May God be so close to you all during this difficult time.