Peacemaking

PEACEMAKING often involves dismantling entrenched power. We see this when we consider Gandhi’s efforts to do away with the oppression of the caste system or Martin Luther King Jr. working to end segregation and ensure civil rights or the Sisters of Loretto working for justice for coal miners in West Virginia. This is the work of a God who changes the usual order of things, who rocks the boat, who deposes those in high positions. And this is the God we serve.

– Mary Lou Redding
The Power of a Focused Heart

From page 93 of The Power of a Focused Heart: 8 Life Lessons from the Beatitudes by Mary Lou Redding. Copyright © 2006 by Mary Lou Redding. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What are opportunities you see for peacemaking? Share your thoughts.

Then Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God, and all the people answered, “Amen, Amen,” lifting up their hands. Then they bowed their heads and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground.

Nehemiah 8:6, NRSV

This Week: pray for church leaders. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Priscilla (January 18).

• Jill January 18, 2016, 5:52 am

Rusty – thank you so much for sharing “The Litany of Humility” – so good, so applicable each moment. I believe I had seen bits and pieces of it over the years – but to have it in its entirety an just to sit with it, meditating and praying – thank you.
    Grateful for a safe return home yesterday. Grateful to have today to take care of tasks around the house, some errands and get ready for the school week. Grateful for the time with friends on Saturday and yesterday morning.
    “And this is the God we serve” – Father – thank You for accepting our “service”. That can take on so many different looks. For Carol – she is serving God through supporting her uncle. May God bless you in this endeavor, Carol. Father – grace each of us with Your blessing as we serve You in a myriad of ways. Nothing is too small, no effort goes unnoticed by Your Eye. Might our hearts be set to serve all You place in our paths.

• Pam January 18, 2016, 12:15 pm

Amen in Agreement!

• robert moeller January 18, 2016, 6:32 am

Prayers for Carol’s uncle. I am grateful that he has Carol caring for him. Hospice is a wonderful help. Mom had hospice care and the chaplain was great. Despite Mom’s Alzheimer’s God through the chaplain reached her.
    I pray for a peaceful time.

Thank you Rusty for the Litany of Humility. Putting others ahead of you is very Christlike.

Prayers for Mary’s parents and Mary as their caregiver.

May God make me an instrument of peace. Lord help me bring reconciliation between two dear people.

Thankful for this day, for yesterday with a helpful worship service, Willa’s 3rd birthday, a nice afternoon, new snow, but no school, and roads being cleared.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 18, 2016, 9:00 am

Thanks so much Robert! Also keeping you and your family in prayer, Robert. May all be well and may God watch over you all every moment.

Blessed birthday to Willa! May she continue to bring much joy to the family!

• Betsy January 18, 2016, 6:58 am

Carol, I echo the others in praying for you in the role of caregiver. What a blessing to support your uncle. He sounds like such an interesting individual! I also have been blessed with the “angels” of Hospice, and their wisdom. They were such a support for my family when both my mother and mother-in-law were in their final days. You can lean on them.
    Grateful for worship service yesterday, musical chorus practice with friends, and errands today. I ask for traveling mercies today for my husband, who is on the road all this week.

• Carol January 18, 2016, 7:54 am

I long for others to live with peace within themselves. Perhaps some of this desire comes from a predisposition for anxiety within myself. Taking time to call someone and ask how they are doing, today, is one way that is quite easy. Last Monday I sat with a young lady who is struggling with her home life, a lot of it is ingratitude. I did not try to change her, I mostly listened and guided her to find one thing that would help her right now. If only she could find peace inside for a few more moments as a result of our visit, would be wonderful.

Will be visiting my uncle today. He is 1 hour away. I just set my car on autopilot.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 18, 2016, 9:04 am

Praying for my students who like to squabble with one another. Today, more peace in class as most of them have Soccer and Badminton training. Wish Everyday they could live in harmony and peace.

• Pam January 18, 2016, 12:23 pm

Prayers in agreement with Carol and Mary as well. I enjoy EVERYONE’S posts most every day, however, days like yesterday and today especially so! The short prayers are touching, but I am MOST moved when you all share your THOUGHTS, (and needs). I recently became an “empty nester’, and too soon before then lost my mother to Cancer, but instead of feeling all alone, I can ALWAYS ‘relate’ to at least ONE of your situations and find more and more things we ALL have in common, besides each other and our Love for Him and mankind. BLESSINGS!

• Carol January 18, 2016, 8:54 pm

I agree about the commonality and also appreciate the support for one another

• Rusty January 18, 2016, 9:58 pm

I agree, also. The commonality and sharing make this a very peace-filled and special place.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 19, 2016, 5:41 am

Very grateful for each and everyone here. You are such an encouragement and blessing to me each day. Reading your comments and prayers is another ‘God moment’ to me. This is family and like a support group to me as we share and pray for one another. Despite the distance, we are united by the love of God. Blessings to all and thank you so much!

• April January 19, 2016, 8:12 am

Blessings and peace, my UR family. I agree with all of you. Your postings strengthen me to meet the world each day and be a peacemaker. I lift our church leaders to you, Lord, that you might give them wisdom to lead their churches to know you better. Amen.