Spiritual Friendship

SPIRITUAL FRIENDSHIP need not be limited to time and space dimensions; there remains an eternal aspect to the meeting of kindred souls. … We can draw strength from a cloud of witnesses who lived long after New Testament dust settled: women and men who encountered the living Christ in their own times.

– Stephanie Ford
Kindred Souls: Connecting through Spiritual Friendship

From page 47 of Kindred Souls: Connecting through Spiritual Friendship by Stephanie Ford. Copyright © 2006 by Stephanie Ford. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Who encourages you to grow in faith? Share your thoughts.

In you, O LORD, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame.

Psalm 71:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for world leaders. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Thomas Aquinas (January 28).

• Jill January 26, 2016, 4:03 am

I am encouraged on several fronts. The pastor at my church has been with us a little over a year. I have really taken to his expository style of preaching and feel like a student each Sunday as he opens up The Word to me. I receive nourishment at his hand. I am encouraged by the ladies in my Bible study group. We each have our own story, of course, and share our vulnerabilities. It is a trusting space, and I have developed a few friendships there. One, in particular, is a fervent prayer warrior and I have leaned on her at times. And – the UR family in this space – has become such a blessing to me. The support offered, prayers rendered, insights shared…all treasures.

• robert moeller January 26, 2016, 4:07 am

The meeting of kindred souls helps me grow my faith. Meeting them here at the UR is very helpful.

For some reason yesterday’s reflection did not come. Thank you all for your prayers of support for Anneliese and me as she prepares for this surgery. She saw the doctor yesterday and scheduling the surgery is underway.

The last reflection I saw was from the 24th. So many people with friends who are ill. Lord, be with each and every one as we know You are before we think it. You, Lord, are the great comforter. You help us through the problems of our lives.

Prayers for the leaders and would be leaders of our countries. Lord, guide them, may they turn to You for Your wisdom and may we have Your wisdom as we choose new leaders.

• Pam January 26, 2016, 12:06 pm

Hi, Robert. I went back and looked because I thought almost the same thing only I thought it was just a REPEAT of the 24th. Upon further review I discovered the one from the 24th SAID the 25th on it and yesterday’s “new” one had the DATE of the 24th, so this is most likely the one you missed:

Offered to God
      by UPPER ROOM ADMINISTRATOR on JANUARY 24, 2016

IF YOU WOULD KNOW GOD, become acquainted with God’s friends.

The friends of God are not superhuman. Saints do not possess an extra layer of muscle. They are not taller, and they do not sport superior IQs. They are not richer, and their parents are not more clever than yours or mine. They have no bat-like perception that enables them to fly in the dark. They are flesh and blood, just like you and me, no stronger, no more intelligent. And that is the point. They simply offer themselves to God, knowing they are not the elite, fully cognizant that they are inadequate to the task, that their abilities are limited and fallible.

– James C. Howell
      Servants, Misfits, and Martyrs

From pages 16-17 of Servants, Misfits, and Martyrs: Saints and Their Stories by James C. Howell. Copyright © 1999 by James C. Howell. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Describe the characteristics of friends who follow Christ. Share your thoughts.

Now the word of the LORD came to me saying, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

Jeremiah 1:4-5, NRSV

This week we remember: Thomas Aquinas (January 28).

Jeremiah 1:4-10
      Psalm 71:1-6
      1 Corinthians 13:1-13
      Luke 4:21-30

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare
      { 4 comments }

God Bless ALL of my Spiritual Friends here at TURR!

• robert moeller January 26, 2016, 4:16 am

Prayers for Andrea, Carol, Mary, Karen, and Emma dale’s mother. Lord, Your help will be all that is needed in each situation. You, Lord, are the Almighty. There is no greater power. We can all rest in your wings. Thank You, Lord. Amen.

• Betsy January 26, 2016, 7:08 am

I am also honored to count many as mentors in my spiritual journey. The members of my Sunday School class have taken up as prayer warriors for our small group. They are such wonderful examples of grace to me. A close group of women friends also give me guidance in many ways. I am thankful to call on them. This wonderful group that gathers here faithfully, to lift one another up. We gather strength from each other.
    I am praying for your sweet Annaliese, Robert, as she prepares for her surgery. Calm her fears and be with her doctors, Lord, as they take care of her.
    Thankful today for this group of prayer warriors who enter here each day at this site. Keep them all safe and in Your care, Lord. Amen

• Rusty January 26, 2016, 7:16 am

It is an interesting question and one that deserves more contemplation. Some years past, I was tremendously encouraged by a brilliant and wise spiritual director and friend who had to move away. I miss him and often pray for another person like him to enter my life. Like Jill, I would say bible study friends provide urging to keep growing in my faith, and this UR family provides daily encouragement. I would like, one day, to be able to claim my family and extended family as faith encouragers, but for now, they think it is inscrutable and merely tolerate it for the most part. In church, my role is often more in the encourage-er role than encourage-ee – at least, for now, but I do have some friends there who cheer me on. So, (although it seems a little weird to say) I believe the Holy Spirit is my greatest encourager to grow in my knowledge of God.

So grateful for UR friends and the opportunity to learn and be encouraged here.

• Rusty January 26, 2016, 8:58 am

And the cloud of witnesses mentioned in the reading. Very helpful.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 26, 2016, 9:09 am

As a child, my parents brought me to church, therefore Sunday school Teachers helps me to grow in faith. Along my life journey, God had sent my seminary Lecturers as mentors and spiritual friends to help me grow in my faith too. My parents also help me to grow in my faith.

Thank you Father God for mentors, Sunday school Teachers, parents and friends who help me grow in my faith. May we also be an encouragement to others so that they may grow in their faith too.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 26, 2016, 9:14 am

Not forgetting all of you here do make a difference and in many ways help me to grow in my faith too.

Thank you so much each and everyone here.

Thank you Father God for friends here who also help me to grow in faith.

• Andrea January 26, 2016, 12:56 pm

Thank you, Robert, for your prayers. I pray for you and your dear ones and believe we all are spiritual friends who meet here in the UR community. It is a blessing to be with everyone who posts here, to pray with you, and for you and your prayer concerns. It is powerful to think we are connected to those who went before us, even going as far back as Jesus’ day. I wish all a day filled with strong God moments.

• sdf February 2, 2016, 7:14 am

It’s not my first time to pay a quick visit this site, i am visiting this web page dailly and take nice
    information from here everyday.