Authentic Friendship

AUTHENTIC FRIENDSHIP is found with someone who accepts us as we are. A sure sign of spiritual friendship is when we feel willingness, even a desire, to risk disclosing our true self.

Stressful transitions, times of profound grief and loss, moments when we must release some anxiety or fear, hopes we long to express that cannot yet be voiced in public — these are the moments when nothing is as comforting as a companion with whom we can be completely transparent.

– Stephanie Ford.

Kindred Souls: Connecting through Spiritual Friendship

From page 33 of Kindred Souls: Connecting through Spiritual Friendship by Stephanie Ford. Copyright © 2006 by Stephanie Ford. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray for a friend today. Share your thoughts.

For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O LORD, from my youth.

Psalm 71:5, NRSV

This Week: pray for world leaders. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Thomas Aquinas (January 28).

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

• Jill January 27, 2016, 4:12 am

Father – I lift up C and her husband, as they are planning funeral arrangements for her father-in-law. As people make their way in from out of town (especially areas impacted by the huge storm), might the gathering be honorable. Help C to support her husband, and be with her as she is struggling with some issues as well. Wrap them in Your Love, Father.
    Grateful for women who are strong, well spoken and willing to come speak to the group of young moms that I volunteer with on Tuesday nights. Might relationships continue to develop, and might these girls have a strong desire to break out of the situations they are in. Grateful to watch my god-daughter’s basketball game, and to see her play so fiercely…just like her mom. Grateful for an unplanned evening tonight.

• robert moeller January 27, 2016, 4:30 am

Today’s reflection is in many ways a continuation from yesterday. Like all of you I had spiritual training from parents, Sunday School and Confirmation, and attending church. Like Rusty, for a very short time I had spiritual advisor who helped me greatly. I am no longer in touch. Based on my experience the greatest friend we all have is the Lord. The friends in our spiritual lives come from God. I’m grateful for the UR as I am helped, supported, and encouraged here, just as I hope through me God is helping, supporting, and encouraging all of you.

Thank you for prayers of support for Anneliese. No word yet on the date of the surgery, hopefully today.

Betsy, I hope your husband has made his journey safely. Prayers for your parents, Mary. It’s midweek at school, Jill. God knows of your concerns, Andrea and Sara. The Lord is with you, Rusty. Thankfully in Jesus’ name we are all connected as kindred spirits. Thanks be to God.

Thankful for news from Erich, a long awaited process has begun. Photos and videos of Willa and Oona keep coming from Jenny. A plumbing problem at Heidi’s has been repaired. Anneliese’s inflammation is less, she can knit.

Lord be with our leaders, guide them to make peace not war. Thankful for the meeting between the Pope and the Iranian President. Guide us in finding new leaders. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen

• Rusty January 27, 2016, 7:03 am

Thank you, Robert. The Lord is indeed with me and I am greatly blessed. I am comforted by this place, these friends, and the Lord’s powerful presence here. Blessings to you, Annaliese and your family.

The friend I pray for today is J. Lord please give J the confidence to commit to you. He seems to have settled into a comfortable intellectual interest in you and in Christianity, but I fear his heart is still quite far from changing. So often we encounter people for whom you, Lord, may be an activity or an interest, but whose lives remain unchanged because they do not desire such a change, really. Please replace J’s fondness for the idea of God with a hunger and willingness to surrender to you as Lord and Savior. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 27, 2016, 7:17 am

Thanks so much for your prayers, Robert!

Father God please watch over Anneliese and Robert as Annelise prepares to go for her hip operation, may you take care of every detail and be so close to them. May the operation be smooth and successful. May you bless Anneliese with a speedy recovery.

I also up life my Friend, C who has flu for a few weeks already and still did not get well. May you help her to eat the right food and may you grant her a speedy recovery. Help her to sleep well and walk closely with you. Thank you for hearing our prayers.

• Connie January 27, 2016, 8:20 am

I am praying today for Pam, who lost her Father this past week.
    And for the request lifted up today. Mary, Robert, Jill, Rusty, bless you prayer warriors.
    Thankful that Annaliese is able to knit.

• Connie January 27, 2016, 8:21 am