Help from Friends

A DEAR FRIEND recently shared with me how she sought help to work on her marriage because she believed God wanted her to remain with her husband despite his drinking. In her case Al-Anon didn’t seem to be meeting her needs, but she did discover a Bible-based prayer and support group for women struggling in spiritually mismatched marriages. Her membership in this group turned out to be critical. Years later her husband did come to sobriety and, with much hard work over time, their union grew steadily stronger. To this day she remains convinced that the prayerful study of scripture with those caring women carried her through. Together, they helped one another feed on “every word that comes from the mouth of God.”

– Alyssa Phillips
Loving an Addict

From pages 42-43 of Loving an Addict: Gospel Reflections of Hope and Healing by Alyssa Phillips. Copyright © 2014 by Alyssa Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray for those struggling with and affected by addition. Share your thoughts.

If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Corinthians 13:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for world leaders. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Thomas Aquinas (January 28).

• Jill January 28, 2016, 4:09 am

I am fortunate to have not been near a person who is touched by addiction. As I ponder those I know who have been touched by this – my thoughts go to the girls/young ladies in the program that I work with on Tuesday evenings. They are teen/young moms and their stories – I can’t even fathom them. Certainly a high percentage of them have been impacted by addiction, either their parents, their significant other, and even perhaps themselves. If not addiction to drugs or alcohol, then perhaps their addiction is their need to feel loved. It is our desire that they would embrace and allow themselves to be embraced by God – the best love, the enduring love. The love that will not let them down.
    Father – thank You for a more clearer sense of Your Presence yesterday. Grateful for a quiet evening last night, and early to bed. Grateful for some resolution to inaccuracies in medical bills/insurance – just one more to go.

• robert moeller January 28, 2016, 4:10 am

Very sadly I saw a show about the heroin addiction our country is going through. It affects people of all backgrounds, economic level, and education.
    Yes, Lord, we need guidance, courage, strength, and wisdom to help prevent and cure addiction. Help us find and resolve the reasons why people turn to drugs in an effort to relieve their problems. Thank You, Lord.

Thankful that Anneliese has a date for her hip replacement surgery, Feb. 18th.
    There are some things to do to prepare. Thank You, Lord, that this needed surgery is possible. I pray for a safe and successful surgery and recovery. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

Guide the leaders of all nations, Lord. May they recognize You as supreme and follow Your direction. Help us Lord to find new leaders when the time comes for a change. Help us to remember “In God we trust.”

Thankful for a surgery date, photos from Jenny, a phone call from Erich, emails from friends, progress with a model, and quiet time at the UR. Prayers for all who come to the UR. We are sustained by Jesus for when we gather in His name, He is with us. Thankful for a Lord and Savior who loves us. Amen.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 28, 2016, 5:38 am

Father God, may you raise up more godly leaders to lead this world.

May you also help those who are addicted to substance, gambling, praise, love, etc. Only you alone can take full control of these people. However, once their lives are transformed by your power, the can be a powerful testimony for you. May you empower them to live a victorious life in Christ Jesus.

We continue to uplift Anneliese as she prepares for her hip replacement operation. Thank you for progress, to be able to book a date for the operation. May you grant Robert strength and wisdom even as they pack Anneliese bag for her operation.

Thank you for hearing our prayers.

• Betsy January 28, 2016, 7:00 am

My extended family has been affected by the sting of alcohol addiction. I have seen how it can cause strife, distrust and damaged relationships. I pray for all those experiencing these things, and ask for healing of those in addiction and the families that are involved. Give us all the strength to intervene when needed and for forgiveness to prevail.
    Robert, so glad for you and Annaleise that a date is set for surgery. I will continue to pray for her health and safe recovery.
    Grateful for Bible study that resumes today after time away during snowstorm, lunch with close friends and restful evening last night.

• Connie January 28, 2016, 8:02 am

Our community is dealing with many heroin deaths. It is an insidious evil that overcomes a person’s real personality. It took over (and took) two beautiful, sweet girl’s lives that I know of and in doing so, their family’s lives also. It is heartbreaking and I pray that God will intervene. Only He can prevail against it.

• Carol January 28, 2016, 3:40 pm

I am so very, very thankful for Anneliese’s upcoming surgery. This time of preparation is serious and extremely important as well. My prayers are with her.