Take Your PULSE

SELF-COMPASSION RESTORES US to the steady heartbeat of our humanity. As we turn inward, we extend to ourselves the same compassion we would extend to others. Following the essential components of compassion, this essentially entails taking our own PULSE.

P – Paying attention. Cultivate a nonjudgmental, nonreactive awareness of whatever agitation is present within you.

U – Understanding empathically. Listen for and be moved by the suffering hidden within the cry of this agitation – the fear, longing, or aching wound in need of tending.

L – Loving with connection. As you are moved by the suffering within you, extend tender care toward the need or wound that presents itself.

S –Sensing the sacredness. Recognize and savor the expanse of compassion that holds and heals every suffering within you.

E – Embodying new life. Notice the gifts and qualities of restored humanity that are being birthed within you.

In taking our PULSE, we not only relax the reactivities, repulsions, fears, and drives that distort our natural humanity but also tend to the wounds and needs hidden within them. In so doing, we are restored to ourselves – selves that are naturally compassionate.

– Frank Rogers Jr.
Practicing Compassion

From pages 29-30 of Practicing Compassion by Frank Rogers Jr. Copyright © 2015 by Frank Rogers Jr. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Fresh Air Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

If you took your PUSLSE now, how would you describe it? Share your thoughts.

When they heard this, all in the synagogue were filled with rage. They got up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, so that they might hurl him off the cliff. But he passed through the midst of them and went on his way.

Luke 4:28-30, NRSV

This Week: pray for world leaders. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Thomas Aquinas (January 28).

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling January 31, 2016, 1:25 am

For me, life must have a balance. Too much work and very little rest time makes me very frustrated.

Father God, please help us to live a balanced life. Help us to set our priorities right. Sometimes, one may earn lots of money but in the end, does not get to spend it or rather spend it to pay hospital bill. Help us to have the wisdom in making choices. Thank you for listening to our prayers.

Guess we must be very specific in our prayers cause the other day I asked my Sister to pray that we can get cab for me to bring my mum to and fro from the Polyclinic cause I needed to get to work by 1 pm. We managed to get the cab but he told me he is new and does not know the way. Even I told him to follow the green sign board and drive along upper Serangoon, he made the wrong turn and we landed up further from our home.

• robert moeller January 31, 2016, 3:59 am

Grateful for a safe trip to and from a train show, met friends, found helpful items, and had a good dinner. Glad to be home and gave a good sleep.

Yes, I need compassion for myself. There are worries and concerns that I have. Thankfully PULSE will help resolve them. I’ll take them to the Lord.
    Thankful that the Lord will help me.

Prayers for the leaders of the world. May they be inspired by the Lord and follow God’s ways. Lord grant them Your wisdom. Help us to find new leaders in the up coming elections. In Your name, I pray, Lord. Amen.

Prayers for the needs of those who come to the UR. May my children turn to You, Lord. Thank You, Lord.

• Jill January 31, 2016, 4:57 am

While I have never heard of this “PULSE” technique, my spiritual director has given me some similar advice. I have become less reactionary, and more willing to “sit with myself and my feelings”, nonjudgmentally.
    So interesting – yesterday – that before I got out of bed, my thoughts went to my first principal at my current school. And then I shared here about her. Out running my errands, I ran in to her at a store – a store at least 40 minutes from where both of us live. So very good to speak with her, catch up. And thank her for the impact she had on my career. She has always been reluctant to receive my gratitude, but a little less so yesterday. There are only about 15 of us left…us being the ones who were in the building when she retired. The 15 marvel (our staff has 100 teachers) at how things used to be, and wonder how things would be if she were still around. So grateful to see her – it had been over a year. Interestinly, perhaps, she is working with teachers (professional development/coach) at the high school I attended in the 80s.
    Grateful, too, for sunshine yesterday and temps in the 50s! Got a walk in, after lunch and errands. So very grateful for church this morning.

• Connie January 31, 2016, 8:21 am

Without sounding self-serving, I feel I have always had compassion for others, following the example of my Mother. I try to put myself in another’s place, a happy one or a sad one, and be present there.
    I am thankful today for a beautiful Sabbath morning, warmer weather, and the love of my family. To God be the glory.

• Rusty January 31, 2016, 9:11 am

Not self serving at all. Being present with people is a wonderful gift. Thanks Connie.

• April January 31, 2016, 10:16 am

Perfect timing of messages for this weekend…compassion for self and taking my pulse. Friday ended an exhausting work week, not so much physically but mentally. Situations that caused me to pause and pray, knowing that this weekend I would have time to deal with the challenges and make a plan on how to react. But then the weekend readings were about self care/compassion, so I have been doing that instead and how wonderful it feels! 24 more hours to step away from work and let me hear the messages from God, family, friends (UR friends for sure), nature, and soon the sermon from our awesome pastor. When the work week starts tomorrow I will be able to meet it with a renewed energy. Blessings and love to all.

• Carol January 31, 2016, 2:54 pm

PULSE is a beautiful guide for me as I journey with my uncle through his last weeks or days on earth. It is deliberate and intentional and comforting. ( He sleeps most of the time, very little heart function, no pain)

• April January 31, 2016, 8:59 pm

How peaceful your uncle must be. You are all in my prayers.