Labryinth Prayer

THE LABYRINTH is a wonderful walking prayer practice that encourages awareness of journey with God. As it gained popularity in the Middle Ages, the labyrinth became one way to practice pilgrimage rather than make the journey to Jerusalem. It consists of three phases of movement: (1) going into the labyrinth and letting go of all that keeps us from connecting with God; (2) arriving at the center of the labyrinth, which represents the state of union with God; and (3) then leaving the labyrinth and returning to the world in a new way, accompanied by God. …

• Find a labyrinth.
  • Walking into the labyrinth is a time for shedding anything that keeps you from communion with God. You may want to silently repeat a scripture as you journey. Or use the time to notice your thoughts and feelings and consider these questions:
    What is it like to be on this journey?
    Is there anything I need to let go of?
    Is there something blocking me from experiencing God’s love?
    Am I in need of forgiveness?
    Do I need to forgive?
  • The center of the labyrinth is seen as the point of unity with God, the symbolic dwelling place of God When you arrive at the center, simply rest in God. Remain there as long as you like. Converse with God in whatever way seems appropriate to you.
  • The walk out of the labyrinth is the process of bring God back out into the world with you. As you retrace your steps, continue your prayer and conversation with the divine. …
  • When you finally leave the labyrinth, give thanks to God for your time there.

– Daniel Wolpert
Leading a Life with God: The Practice of Spiritual Leadership

Excerpted from Leading a Life with God: The Practice of Spiritual Leadership by Daniel Wolpert. Copyright © 2006 by Daniel Wolpert. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Have you ever walked a prayer labyrinth? What was the experience like for you? Share your thoughts.

Therefore, since it is by God’s mercy that we are engaged in this ministry, we do not lose heart.

2 Corinthians 4:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for educators. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Aelred of Rievaulx (February 3).

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

• Jill February 5, 2016, 3:58 am

I have never walked a prayer labyrinth. I am not aware of any in my area, but that may just be ignorance on my part. It sounds deeply impactful. I would imagine it would be figuratively possible in the quiet of one’s home. Or perhaps walking into a forest.
    Grateful for good sharing last evening, so appreciate the “realness” of the women in my small group. Grateful that today is Friday – the week seemed long and I am weary. Grateful to be able to come home tonight after school and quietly begin an uncluttered weekend.

• robert moeller February 5, 2016, 4:40 am

The labyrinth is a very interesting idea, yes, I think it can be done anywhere.
    I will try it, it is a new concept for me.

Thankful for a good day yesterday. A doctor’s appointment, shopping, house cleaning, model building, a wonderful photo came, had a great supper.

Prayers for educators as they end the week. In my experience the weekend was a change of pace, there still was plenty of school work to do. If you did what you should, even summers brought planning for the next school year.
    Blessings, rest, and preparation for the week ahead. The Lord is with you.
    Thank You, Lord.

• robert moeller February 5, 2016, 4:54 am

Yes, Jill, your observation/evaluation comments match my experience. In two schools there was no observation/evaluation, I think I worked harder there. It was like a pass/fail course. For the longest time there were observations and evaluations. I was always uncomfortable, but they were a necessary part of the job. It is tougher teaching where education isn’t always valued.

Prayers for you, Mary, glad you have medical leave and can regain your health.

Blessings to the UR family. God is with you.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 5, 2016, 5:05 am

Thanks Robert!

With regards to evaluation, the place that I work has a annually survey fr thes students to fill in towards the end of the year and they also interview some of th students.

• Rusty February 5, 2016, 6:28 am

The first church I ever attended (beginning in 2002) had a labyrinth. I was so early in my Christian journey then that I had no idea how to do the labyrinth. I tried it a few times and got, really, nothing out of it. Unfortunately, that church community was caught up in turmoil during that season and no one there was in a contemplative frame of mind to use the labrynth or teach others to use it. I’d like to try again sometime, and this reading today looks like a very good guide. I’ll do an Internet search and see where there might be labrynth in my area.

• Rusty February 5, 2016, 6:33 am

Yay! Just found one on labrynthlocator.com

• Rusty February 5, 2016, 9:00 pm

Sorry folks. I spelled it wrong: labyrinthlocator.com.
        It’s a worldwide labyrinth locator website.

• Sara February 5, 2016, 9:12 am

Good morning and it’s good to be back. I don’t know if anyone else experienced the previous day comments for the current day when the share your thoughts appeared??? May be my server as they were correcting some issues.

I have not participated in a Labyrinth experience, but think it would be wonderful. When we spend quiet time with God one can also have the experience of bringing God back in to the world with us. A nice thought to keep in mind during the day.

Blessings to all the UR friends today. God Bless.