Walking Together

WALKING TOGETHER is a grace-filled metaphor for our life-giving journey with God. Our spirits are loosely joined and yet distinct. We are purposeful yet unhurried as we travel, even temporarily, along a common route. We are pried away from agendas and conscious thought long enough to make spontaneous revelations and to absorb what we did not expect.

God’s call has always been for us to get up and move, to follow. It has always been the walk itself—the arduous invigorating journey together, and not the destination—that joins us to God in indelible and mysterious ways.

Alive Now, Jan/Feb 2016

From “Meditation on Walking” by Elizabeth Ray, in Alive Now, January/February 2016. Copyright © 2015 by The Upper Room. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Take a walk with someone this week and be mindful of God’s presence as you do. Share your thoughts.

Then from the cloud came a voice that said, “This is my Son, my Chosen; listen to him!”

Luke 9:35, NRSV

This Week: pray for Christian writers. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Catherine dei Ricci (February 13).

• Jill February 8, 2016, 4:24 am

On my walk yesterday – I encountered many people. We don’t know what to do with abundant sunshine, 50+ degrees the first week in February. Everyone was so pleasant, smiling, taking in the warmth of the sun. Though walking alone, I carried many people in my thoughts and prayers. Many memories, too. Father – help me to be aware of You on the journey. Indeed the process is so significant – as this is where growth and transformation occur. Father – continue to bring light into the dark spaces.
    Grateful to have my parents over for dinner last night. They are heading south soon for a few weeks. Next time I see them will be when I join them for five blessed days on the gulf beach. Grateful for tasks accomplished this weekend, aided by technology. Grateful for church yesterday.

• Connie February 8, 2016, 8:13 am

Today I will “walk” with my UR friends through Monday. A good way to start the week.

• Pam February 8, 2016, 12:11 pm

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 8, 2016, 8:55 am

Grateful for good food and fellowship with siblings and their families.

Grateful for people who walk with us along our life journey. Grateful for prayer intercessors and UR friends.

May God bless all these companions who cheer us on when we face trials in life, who share our joys and sorrows!

Thank you Father God for providing companions to walk with us along our life journey.

• Andrea February 8, 2016, 6:28 pm

I thank you all for the walk that we walk together here. I am so grateful for these readings and for the comments and prayers offered here. I pray for all who face challenges and difficulties; may they experience very deeply God’s abiding care and light. I pray for the UR writers and for all Christian writers, for their guidance and inspiration, and for their own personal and spiritual nurturing.

• Gwen February 8, 2016, 8:50 pm

Yesterday I had brunch, and went for a 3.5 mile walk on the sunny side of the street, with my brother. We hadn’t had brother/sister time solo since before the holidays. The snow was melting, the sun was warm, dogs and owners were out and happy. I felt grateful, blessed and full of love that we had this time together. He’s getting married in September to a wonderful woman. I’ve been thankful to God for their good match, the journey of my brother and I working to know each other as adults and the experiences we’ll have down the road as a new and larger extended family. Sunday smiled down as a blessed gift and all was good in our corner of the city.

• Rusty February 8, 2016, 9:42 pm

I really love how you have described you relationship with your brother, Gwen. Just beautiful. I like today’s reading and how it depicts movement in our relationship with God. Such a critical element if we are to grow in the knowledge and love of God. May we never forget our walk is a deep metaphor for how God wants us to partner with him. He invites us to join him on a journey.